Closed Thread
    JoshTheMadMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is This a legit way to get free supplements?

Newbie here, but I came across this on YouTube today, and I wanted to hear from people with actual experience! This guy claims to have found well over $1,800 dollars worth of supplements for free like this. I can't post a link on here, but look up 'Jebus Gaming" on YouTube and look at the video on there from today. He said he got all of that stuff for free because the store was throwing it away. Is this true or just fake?

My other question is, if supplements are out of date do they really have a negative effect? After watching this I saw that people sell supplements much cheaper on Ebay but they are slightly out of date by a month or two. Would it still have the same impact on me? College student looking to save money anywhere possible here!

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You do know you don't need supplements right? So just don't buy them and save the money.

But to answer the question; for liability most stores will not allow the sale (or give away) expired products. They will clearance short date ones most of the time. When they do sell expired they put a big disclaimer on it telling you it's expired and that you know this before buying, just in case the product went bad or you get sick.

Most products are fine well past the sell by dates, and you can tell many times if they are still ok if they smell and taste fine. Some powders might clump, some bars get hard, ect though.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    You do know you don't need supplements right? So just don't buy them and save the money.

But to answer the question; for liability most stores will not allow the sale (or give away) expired products. They will clearance short date ones most of the time. When they do sell expired they put a big disclaimer on it telling you it's expired and that you know this before buying, just in case the product went bad or you get sick.

Most products are fine well past the sell by dates, and you can tell many times if they are still ok if they smell and taste fine. Some powders might clump, some bars get hard, ect though.
    So if they legally can't sell them does that mean they probably do throw them out like this? I just thought it seemed to good to be true. And I have heard that a bunch of times, but honestly protein power is the only real thing I use after workouts, so that's what I was mainly asking for. I just figured that the store would have to send it somewhere or something and not just throw it away.

BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don’t have a good answer for your first question, but my theory is they either 1) have a specific disposal method for product OR 2)it’s a locked container specifically to keep people from dumpster diving....

In all honesty tho, you gotta ask yourself one question: is it worth digging for something that’s been sitting in a big metal can for an unknown amount of time? Free or not you’d be taking a HUGE risk if the stuff has gone rancid in the sun soaked dumpster. Just sayin.

Most of the time, if a product has gone past its date, it’s still good as long as it was kept well. Powders shouldn’t smell bad or be clumpy. Can’t speak to the bars and cookies.
    Dad
    Poolboy
    Volunteer Firefighter
    Swole enough to be dangerous

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBrose View Post
    I don’t have a good answer for your first question, but my theory is they either 1) have a specific disposal method for product OR 2)it’s a locked container specifically to keep people from dumpster diving....

In all honesty tho, you gotta ask yourself one question: is it worth digging for something that’s been sitting in a big metal can for an unknown amount of time? Free or not you’d be taking a HUGE risk if the stuff has gone rancid in the sun soaked dumpster. Just sayin.

Most of the time, if a product has gone past its date, it’s still good as long as it was kept well. Powders shouldn’t smell bad or be clumpy. Can’t speak to the bars and cookies.
    Good point! I go in there almost daily though and always see that huge discount section and was just wondering if one day it's all gone I should try and look for a dumpster. Since then I would know it was only out there for a short amount of time. My store usually has like 20+ jars of protein powder in the discount section, so it would be amazing to be able to get that for free, but I see what you're saying as well!

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JoshTheMadMan View Post
    Good point! I go in there almost daily though and always see that huge discount section and was just wondering if one day it's all gone I should try and look for a dumpster. Since then I would know it was only out there for a short amount of time. My store usually has like 20+ jars of protein powder in the discount section, so it would be amazing to be able to get that for free, but I see what you're saying as well!
    Yeah; I used to work for Wal-Mart and most supplements would be sent back to the vendor for credit. Items we dumped were put into a locked dumpster to keep people out, not so much because we cared if they took it, but because if they took it and consumed it, then got sick, we would potentially be liable.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Yeah; I used to work for Wal-Mart and most supplements would be sent back to the vendor for credit. Items we dumped were put into a locked dumpster to keep people out, not so much because we cared if they took it, but because if they took it and consumed it, then got sick, we would potentially be liable.
    I wonder if Wal-Mart and GNC would have the same policy? I might just end up checking in the next couple days and updating the post with the results lol