Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bristol83 View Post
    Taking drugs in the first place is a choice, 100%.

Once addicted to drugs (having made the choice to take them in the first place, knowing full well the risks) then in some circumstances it can become an illness that they cant escape, despite wanting to make the choice to stop.
    Originally Posted by reverse79 View Post
    choice when started

addiction once abused due to the mind/body reaction
    Starting is a choice. Anytime you try some vice you should know there is a chance of addiction and consider if it is worth taking a chance considering the possible consequences.

Some people are predisposed to becoming addicted. ADD, autism, and CPTSD I believe are all correlated with higher rates of addiction.

Overall, an autism diagnosis doubles the risk of addiction, the researchers found. Elevated risk is concentrated among those with an IQ of 100 or above. But across the spectrum, ADHD is a great multiplier of risk: Among those with autism and intellectual disability, having ADHD increases the risk of addiction fourfold; among those with an IQ in the typical range or above, ADHD increases the risk eightfold.

Parents and siblings of people with autism also have a higher risk of addiction, suggesting a genetic link.
    Impulsivity — acting quickly without thinking — and compulsivity, or being unable to stop an activity once it has started, are both problems of self-control, or ‘executive function.’ Impulsivity is strongly linked with the risk for becoming addicted; addiction is defined as compulsive drug use that persists despite negative consequences. People with autism show signs of both impulsivity and compulsivity. For example, they frequently engage in repetitive, compulsive behaviors — dubbed ‘stimming’ — to address either a lack of sensory stimulation or a surfeit of it. In the case of addiction, different types of addictive drugs can enhance or reduce sensation.
    https://www.spectrumnews.org/feature...-hidden-habit/
    INTP Crew
    Inattentive ADD Crew
    Mom That Miscs Crew

PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by midcoastking33 View Post
    that's like saying lung cancer is a choice, not a disease lol. take fault/agency out of the equation- alcohol addiction is so severe that withdrawals can lead to death. that's clearly in the realm of disease

Exactly. 99% of people that got lung cancer chose to take actions that resulted in lung cancer.

eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Alcohol is a brain disease that usually forms into an addiction. It's been proven to be hereditary. I know because i am a recovering alcoholic and as soon as i took my first drink at 22 i was hooked. I never planned on drinking because i have a long history of alcoholism in my family but i did it because a girl broke up with me srs
    PC specs

i9 9900k/AMD RX 6800 16 GB/16 GB RAM/LG BX 65'' OLED/Gigabyte GS27QC 27''

OLED Master Race crew
    1440p 120+ fps only crew
    6'2 master race crew
    Audiophile crew
    Metal crew
    Introvert/INTJ crew
    German crew
    If you aren't getting stronger you aren't getting bigger crew

GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Its a choice ultimately if youre asking me to pick one or the other. It can stop being a choice once physical addiction becomes present imo, but at one time it was a choice.

You have to fix what is making you drink or drug.

Video cliffs

Youre enough
    You were always enough
    But you have to go through things to figure that out

Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Kormo View Post
    paying devils advocate here but to someone who has been abused, wouldn't it be fair to say that their choices aren't entirely voluntary? Inb4 cope, inb4 i was abused and i chose right
    No cope but I was and I have a ton of issues because of it.

But I never once thought gee, let me do this toxic substance that will destroy my body and my life.

Nah, son.
    Be patient like the mountain. And you will learn to be strong.

100% serious 50% of the time.

midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rdwire88 View Post
    I know that, Brenda.

Listen, I said drug addiction is a illness but Choice comes before this particular illness. Go read any article then and quit reading a post on the misc. No one here is making you stay.
    deflecting with ad hominem- about what i'd expect with someone that has a below average understanding of biological processes. i get that these concepts are tough to figure out for someone at your level but try to keep up. "choice" comes from genetics and environment- i promise that if i were to tweak your dna, how you grew up, who you were around, etc. than suddenly you'd be the one getting handouts at a methodone clinic. this is in no way handwaving any crimes addicts partake in their addiction which they are legally culpable for, so you can take that feather out of your cap

r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) r0bo has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    choice at first, illness (and some small level of choice) after chronic use.

GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GravityLee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    deflecting with ad hominem- about what i'd expect with someone that has a below average understanding of biological processes. i get that these concepts are tough to figure out for someone at your level but try to keep up. "choice" comes from genetics and environment- i promise that if i were to tweak your dna, how you grew up, who you were around, etc. than suddenly you'd be the one getting handouts at a methodone clinic. this is in no way handwaving any crimes addicts partake in their addiction which they are legally culpable for, so you can take that feather out of your cap
    For all your anger youre actually a good guy

Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Maylie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I get what you're saying but how would you account for my mum and uncle growing up in the same house, dealing with the same chit, same influences, some poor area and her growing up to be a doctor and him growing up to be a junkie and a scam artist?

Some choices clearly went into that.
    Be patient like the mountain. And you will learn to be strong.

100% serious 50% of the time.

AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    doing drugs is a choice

drug addiction is a dependency and an illness.

it even seems like you allude to this in your op and understand the difference.

i dont think anyone is claiming a predisposition to alcoholism is an illness in and of itself.
    do not read my posts and weep, i am not there i do not sleep
    i am the thousand greens that rep, i am the ban bet dutifully kept
    of memes and trolls in toasted breads, i am not there, i am not dead.

Registered User northernlights7's Avatar
    northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's somewhere in between a plain choice and an illness. Yes, some people might be more genetically predisposed to addictions based on their brain chemistry. That said, anyone comparing an addiction like alcoholism to a true disease like AIDS, cancer, etc. is delusional and/or coping. I say that as someone who has drank a lot more beer in my lifetime than I should have.

rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GravityLee View Post
    I agree with most of what youre saying.

Some of it is society failing the most vulnerable members. On my best friends couch right now is a guy we have known a few years. His mom was murdered in front of him when he was a child. He lost his job, lost his apt, no ambition. Hes not an addict yet but he does a lot of stuff. Imo the gov should pay for his psychiatric treatment. I consider myself a conservative but we have a duty to help people going through hell on this life through no fault of their own. There was a comment i believe midcoastking said. Someone was bei g critical of the homeless implying its 100% their fault and he essentially responded with you cant expect everyone to just pick themselves up by their boot straps. Its the only time i have seen sympathy from him on this forum and i respect that.

Two of my best friends overdosed. One his mom died of drug addiction when he was a child. The other her dad sexually abused her and broke her arm when she was 3. Every man or woman must own their life. Yes you can choose not to do drugs. I just wish we could help people suffering more.
    I wish this country could provide better healthcare for people who need it the most, lives at risk..

Life experiences could amplfiy the desicion making for drug abuse though..

rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LOL who I grew up with is also a choice. Who my friends are is a choice, every decision I make is a choice. Nice try with trying to act like a bully and belittle my intelligence by trying to make you look smarter.

Again, doesn't matter about life experiences, you have free will to make whatever choice you want.

Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maxamanius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's a choice because they chose to go that route, it's not a disease since it's all psychological. Disease is like Dementia, MS, ALS, etc..being addicted is not a disease.

northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) northernlights7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    that's like saying lung cancer is a choice, not a disease lol. take fault/agency out of the equation- alcohol addiction is so severe that withdrawals can lead to death. that's clearly in the realm of disease
    Yeah but do you realize the ridiculous amount of booze drinking and consistency in doing so it takes to get to the point where withdrawls could be dangerous?

Look, I'm not saying that overcoming addiction is as easy of a choice as deciding what to eat for breakfast. But at some point, personal responsibility and self-accountability need to come into play. No matter how bad one's addiction is, there are still ways to overcome it with help if someone is willing and wants to do it. That can't be said for an endless plethora of actual diseases.

Originally Posted by northernlights7 View Post
    Yeah but do you realize the ridiculous amount of booze drinking and consistency in doing so it takes to get to the point where withdrawls could be dangerous?

Look, I'm not saying that overcoming addiction is as easy of a choice as deciding what to eat for breakfast. But at some point, personal responsibility and self-accountability need to come into play. No matter how bad one's addiction is, there are still ways to overcome it with help if someone is willing and wants to do it. Meanwhile that can't be said for an endless plethora of actual diseases.
    Right exactly.

Arizona to East Texas kingHanley's Avatar
    kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by eod8989 View Post
    Alcohol is a brain disease that usually forms into an addiction. It's been proven to be hereditary. I know because i am a recovering alcoholic and as soon as i took my first drink at 22 i was hooked. I never planned on drinking because i have a long history of alcoholism in my family but i did it because a girl broke up with me srs
    nah you just weak minded son
    *Firefighter-Paramedic Crew*
    *HTC Crew*
    *White Zero Ultra Monster Crew*
    *2A Crew*
    *Conservative Crew*

Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coachbombay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The problem is people don't quite understand what "disease" means, and think it somehow absolves people of personal responsibility. A disease can be a pattern of bad decisions, which can be cured simply by making good decisions.

The answer is to the OP is both. It is in essence a choice, and technically a disease.
    They got little baby legs that stand so low
    you got to pick 'em up just to say hello.

Not actually named untz. mynameisuntz's Avatar
    mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "Disease" as applied to psychological/behavioral phenomena is weakly defined. I'm skeptical to call any mental disorder a "disease" until we have a firm definition of what that means, and what "psychologically normal" means, too. If we're talking solely by normal distribution, then maybe, but that's not especially satisfying. It's certainly a disorder, but "disease" is a medical term that has struggled to be defined in the context of mental health thus far.

I think watering addiction down to "choice" is a bit simplistic. In the most technical sense, and assuming free will, could someone "choose" to not do heroin instead of doing it once in the throes of an addiction? Sure. But that's a bit simple to put it in those terms when undergoing withdrawal and having never developed the mental resiliency to really manage the emotional difficulties that are required to stand up to that. There's clearly other variables at play which strongly influence "choice."

There's no doubt that overcoming addiction is the individual's responsibility, though. That cannot be denied, and I'd rather the focus be placed there than who or what is to be blamed.
    All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.

iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iWantToGrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think starting to do drugs is a choice and the addiction itself is a matter of chemistry.
    I'm the thread killer.

redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz
    Using a substance that can become an addition is a choice, and getting addicted to them may be a consequence.

I do think it matters from the way that we view it as a society. In the interest of recovery it's far more beneficial and evokes a more empathetic response to consider it a disease that they are suffering from as opposed to 'they brought this on themselves' or 'only have themselves to blame'.

The first step in the 12 step program: "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol — that our lives had become unmanageable."

Viewing yourself as powerless over a substance is not saying you were an unwilling victim, but rather that your earlier choices have led to chaos and an addiction that has spiraled out of control. I have a hard time believing addicts who reach rock bottom actively want to use that day. I believe if they were given the opportunity to have their brain re-wired and zero physical withdraw symptoms, they'd take you up on the opportunity to get sober and never look back.

I think at its most basic level you are right, it is their fault for doing it in the first place but that doesn't make it important to view this as a disease for other reasons. How do we treat other mental illnesses like depression and anxiety? Sometimes through cognitive behavioral therapy. An addict needs to develop alternative sources of joy and reward, and people who have been isolating themselves in order to drink or use drugs without inhibition may need to work in a purposeful way to re-acquire habitual 'joy' — social interactions, physical pleasures like a nice walk or seeing a movie, and other healthy, enjoyable rewards.

Originally Posted by screwnuts View Post

It's funny how nobody has any sympathy for smokers or alcoholics, but junkies are suffering from a "disease."
    That's a strange thing to say and it's untrue. Addiction is addiction - whether it's to food or alcohol or smoking but yes, there are less bad addictions one can have and it is still viewed as addiction by those in the medical community. I doubt anyone has raided their dying grandparent's medicine cabinet of meds to sell so they can go out and buy cigarettes. Plenty of chain smokers in AA. Smoking is still bad, but I feel confident in saying it's less bad then getting chit your pants intoxicated day in, day out.

Addicted after 1 drink? And you became addicted to it because a chick dumped you?

Total excuse-making bullchit. Do you agree with the "muh genetics" excuse for fat people who are fat due to constantly overeating too? Because most of those people could be described as having food addictions on some level, but I seriously doubt you sympathize with them for it.

At some point you have to own up to the things you decide to do and quit blaming everything but yourself for your decision to keep downing beers/liquor.

Originally Posted by redraider86 View Post
    Using a substance that can become an addition is a choice, and getting addicted to them may be a consequence.

I do think it matters from the way that we view it as a society. In the interest of recovery it's far more beneficial and evokes a more empathetic response to consider it a disease that they are suffering from as opposed to 'they brought this on themselves' or 'only have themselves to blame'.

The first step in the 12 step program: "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol — that our lives had become unmanageable."

Viewing yourself as powerless over a substance is not saying you were an unwilling victim, but rather that your earlier choices have led to chaos and an addiction that has spiraled out of control. I have a hard time believing addicts who reach rock bottom actively want to use that day. I believe if they were given the opportunity to have their brain re-wired and zero physical withdraw symptoms, they'd take you up on the opportunity to get sober and never look back.

I think at its most basic level you are right, it is their fault for doing it in the first place but that doesn't make it important to view this as a disease for other reasons. How do we treat other mental illnesses like depression and anxiety? Sometimes through cognitive behavioral therapy. An addict needs to develop alternative sources of joy and reward, and people who have been isolating themselves in order to drink or use drugs without inhibition may need to work in a purposeful way to re-acquire habitual 'joy' — social interactions, physical pleasures like a nice walk or seeing a movie, and other healthy, enjoyable rewards.

That's a strange thing to say and it's untrue. Addiction is addiction - whether it's to food or alcohol or smoking but yes, there are less bad addictions one can have and it is still viewed as addiction by those in the medical community. I doubt anyone has raided their dying grandparent's medicine cabinet of meds to sell so they can go out and buy cigarettes. Plenty of chain smokers in AA. Smoking is still bad, but I feel confident in saying it's less bad then getting chit your pants intoxicated day in, day out.
    nuff said!

Power is absent, strong will - Yoda

eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) eod8989 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by northernlights7 View Post
    Addicted after 1 drink? And you became addicted to it because a chick dumped you?

Total excuse-making bullchit. Do you agree with the "muh genetics" excuse for fat people who are fat due to constantly overeating too? Because most of those people could be described as having food addictions on some level, but I seriously doubt you sympathize with them for it.

At some point you have to own up to the things you decide to do and quit blaming everything but yourself for your decision to keep downing beers/liquor.
    You're never going to win this argument when the very definition of alcohol is a disease. I've also mentioned on here in my posts that eating is addicting and i am addicted to food as well but it cannot be compared to alcoholism. Pls go
    PC specs

i9 9900k/AMD RX 6800 16 GB/16 GB RAM/LG BX 65'' OLED/Gigabyte GS27QC 27''

OLED Master Race crew
    1440p 120+ fps only crew
    6'2 master race crew
    Audiophile crew
    Metal crew
    Introvert/INTJ crew
    German crew
    If you aren't getting stronger you aren't getting bigger crew

alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alvesNYR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol at the concept of free will, it's an illusion
    Last edited by alvesNYR; 06-30-2021 at 06:24 PM.

You're never going to win this argument when the very definition of alcohol is a disease. I've also mentioned on here in my posts that eating is addicting and i am addicted to food as well but it cannot be compared to alcoholism. Pls go
    "Alcohol, also known by its chemical name ethanol, is a psychoactive substance that is the active ingredient in drinks such as beer, wine, and distilled spirits (hard liquor)" -WIKI

RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Team starts as a choice, continuing is a choice, up to the point when the chemistry changes. Whether or not someone seeks help is always a choice.

Six Foot Five Inches SuperHercules's Avatar
    SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SuperHercules has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's a choice. I don't think it ever becomes a disease, it can develop into an affliction that destroys one's life. The exception would be certain babies born from a mother who is an addict. Some of them are born addicts and they are welcomed into this world with withdrawal symptoms
    You're a phаggot

Originally Posted by redraider86 View Post

I can appreciate where you're coming from with this - you're trying to approach from a standpoint of practicality in terms of helping people with problems.

All that aside, strip down the sugar coating, and I just can't addictions "diseases" in the same manner as things that involve zero choice. For example, bad choices can lead to diseases like AIDS and cancer, but once you have those things, there is no simple (if any) solution to the problem. With addictions like booze, you literally have to make a conscience decision with every sip of alcohol you take in order for the problem to continue. You also have to consistently refuse help, continue choosing to buy alcohol, etc. I'm not saying it's easy to overcome addictions. But there are so many decisions that go into addictions that giving it the same label as diseases like the ones I mentioned is just dishonest language.