kobe19840115 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weightlifting induced brain fog

hello everyone. I know there are similar threads all over the forum, but still I want to post a new thread on this.

Every time I do excises like squats or bar pushing, I will experience this brain fog like 3 or 4 hours later. This will last for 3-4 days.

My first two years in gym works fine. I started to experience this since last year.

I have no problem doing aerobic. Only weightlifting kind of excise give me brain fog.

I also feels dry eyes and a little depressed the second day after weightlifting. But everything is excellent if I am only do aerobic like jogging.

I don't think it is related to over training or eating, drinking. Because only 15 mins workout , like 3-4 sets of bar pushing is enough to give me 3 days mental fog. So it can't be over training or low carbs intake.

My sleep quality is worse after weightlifting. But sufficient sleep is not helping the condition.

I have done MRI, MRA and blood test. Nothing bad has been found.

I have done testosterone test. It is low, but still in the normal range.

Maybe I have a weak liver that can't detox the chemicals generated from weightlifting. Or weak nerve system that broke down easily after weightlifting?

Brain fog means less focused, thinking slow and probably lowered IQ.

please join the thread and discuss, thanks.

Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500)
    My theory is your brain is being deprived of glucose, as the carbs you digest are probably being used to fuel your workouts and refill your glycogen storage. I imagine your aerobic activity is low intensity or not long enough in duration to cause the same brain fog. Or excessive cortisol in your body after working out. Try increasing your carb consumption by adding more complex carbs to your diet(and/or simple carbs pre workout). Also drink more water to be safe.

Are you on a low carb diet? Low calorie diet?

i am pretty sure it is not carbs, otherwise it is so ease to resovle. besides 3 sets of bar pushing wont consume all the carbs.

I did 3 sets of push-ups yesterday. 20 minutes break between two sets. And now I am suffering serious headache and brain fog. I am really depressed.

sjasonm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjasonm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjasonm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjasonm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjasonm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kobe19840115 View Post
    hello everyone. I know there are similar threads all over the forum, but still I want to post a new thread on this.

Every time I do excises like squats or bar pushing, I will experience this brain fog like 3 or 4 hours later. This will last for 3-4 days.

My first two years in gym works fine. I started to experience this since last year.

I have no problem doing aerobic. Only weightlifting kind of excise give me brain fog.

I also feels dry eyes and a little depressed the second day after weightlifting. But everything is excellent if I am only do aerobic like jogging.

I don't think it is related to over training or eating, drinking. Because only 15 mins workout , like 3-4 sets of bar pushing is enough to give me 3 days mental fog. So it can't be over training or low carbs intake.

My sleep quality is worse after weightlifting. But sufficient sleep is not helping the condition.

I have done MRI, MRA and blood test. Nothing bad has been found.

I have done testosterone test. It is low, but still in the normal range.

Maybe I have a weak liver that can't detox the chemicals generated from weightlifting. Or weak nerve system that broke down easily after weightlifting?

Brain fog means less focused, thinking slow and probably lowered IQ.

please join the thread and discuss, thanks.

hmmm have you tried the most obvious thing.... right after you lift, go eat a massive meal that has lots of everything, fats, carbs and protein even sugar, also make sure there is plenty of salt. I mean really go to town. eat till you feel like you gonna explode, and take 2 multivitamin tablets as well.

then see if you have your brain fog.

but to me, that sounds like the only possible logical explanation, your diet lacking something / lack calories.

iBinLA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kobe19840115 View Post
    I did 3 sets of push-ups yesterday. 20 minutes break between two sets. And now I am suffering serious headache and brain fog. I am really depressed.
    I wish I had more to offer, but can only say this is something I also experience. This started about 5 months back for me and has been pretty steady.
    But, it's absolutely exacerbated by lifting/straining. I'm not a body builder per se but lift/workout 4-5 days per week. I've since slowed way down as it also affects my balance, etc. (Head feels drunk, etc.)

Question - have you experienced anything you'd call abnormal stress, anxiety, panic attacks, depression around this time or in the past?

I've had a stress disorder that manifests in things like panic attacks and rolling anxiety. I've had brain fog and dizziness connected to that at times... and I cant' help but feel like this is related, though it seems so specific to lifting/straining.

Rest/time seem to be the only answer at this point. Bloodwork is all fine. No other serious neruo-symptoms or reason to get an MRI.
    (Wife is an NP)