kindanewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How much should I start my deadlift

So I have been in the gym for 7 months now, I always train my back. But my back is a lot stronger. I have never tried deadlifting because I was afraid that I will hurt my spine, I really want to try it. What weight would you recommend me. (I have never squatted behind back either. I only do goblet squats with 40kg [heaviest in my gym]) so my legs are probably weak. I can dunk but it is kinda is because I am 6’4 and also I am not very flexible.
    Last edited by kindanewbie; 08-15-2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Writing

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As light as you can.

If you dont have bumper plates, try 25 pound plates on each side. Sure, a little more ROM but that wont make a big difference.

Work on form before you add weight. Your lower back needs to maintain a proper arch throughout the movement.

Watch videos from Alan Thrall and Mark Rippetoe, they have some good ones.

n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you aren't starting with 45s on each side, you can elevate the bar by putting mats under it so it is at the actual height. That makes it easier to adjust to deadlifting! Make sure your back is neutral (set) before you start! Film yourself or get a friend to watch your form. Most people who round their back don't even realize it

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's not like you need to determine that beforehand. Get out there and slowly work up, see how it feels and how your form holds up.
    Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175660541

rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdown76 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For squats start with 25's on each side. I started off with box squats long ago and I felt more comfortable knowing a box, chair, whatever was behind me. Also made me get my butt low.

Deadlifts, just use the bar or 25's at most as well. It's all about form. Record yourself doing a few and then watch it and compare it to online video instructions and see if your form is ok. The form is something you will continue to work on for months. It's not something you learn overnight, but make sure form is mostly correct and back is fine. It is a lower back killer, so if you don't work your lower back out (like me), then when you start doing them you will definitely feel the tightness.....

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would start with romanian deadlifts first. This way you don't have to worry about the increased rom of the shorter plates. Not to mention that RDLs will help you practice the hip-hinge pattern which will help you on regular deadlifts. Start light, hell, even start with 10 lb plates on each side or the bar if you really need to.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kindanewbie View Post
    So I have been in the gym for 7 months now, I always train my back. But my back is a lot stronger. I have never tried deadlifting because I was afraid that I will hurt my spine, I really want to try it. What weight would you recommend me. (I have never squatted behind back either. I only do goblet squats with 40kg [heaviest in my gym]) so my legs are probably weak. I can dunk but it is kinda is because I am 6’4 and also I am not very flexible.
    Master the Romanian Deadlift before you start deadlifting and you'll be way ahead of the game. Start the deadlifts with the heaviest weight that you used for the RDL.
    Check it out. https://youtu.be/jEy_czb3RKA