Registered User NothingSpecial1's Avatar
    NothingSpecial1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Nothing Special: Jiu Jitsu and Stronglifts 5x5

Picked up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu upon moving to LA from my hometown of Chicago in Nov of 2017 and I'm pretty much obsessed with it now. For any one that may be reading and isn't familiar with the sport, BJJ is essentially submission grappling largely in the context of ground fighting. I'm a white belt training at an Alliance academy. Have yet to compete, but hopeful to do so in the near future.

Currently travel frequently for work, so I've often been going 4-8 weeks without being home. That being said, this is going to be somewhat of a "do what's possible" log more than a typical straight up linear lifting log. I don't have any body composition goals other than be lean and sub 125lbs, as I intend to compete at rooster weight in the IBJJF, which is 127lbs in the gi.

Since I don't have an interest in dehydration techniques, my weight loss will come from straight up daily energy balance management. No set macros whatsoever; I have a Fitbit and track (mostly estimates) of food intake via myfitnesspal and just try to end each day in a calorie deficit with .8-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. I occasionally decide to break this because I feel like it and want to eat a burger and fried onion rings with friends. That's pretty much it.

All right, let's get to it.
    Last edited by NothingSpecial1; 08-15-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018
    Workout A

Squat
    45 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 5

Air Squats
    Bodyweight x 30, 30

Bench Press
    45 x 6, 5, 5, 5, 5

Barbell Row
    45 x 10, 10, 5, 5, 5

Dips
    Bodyweight x 10, 10, 10

Cardio
    LISS 2miles

NOTES
    I had surgery for a completely torn lateral meniscus a few years ago and basically haven't lifted since. I read something on the stronglifts website about just starting with the bar if one doesn't know how much to begin with. I preferred that over Rippetoe's "keep adding plates to the bar until form breaks down," mostly because ego would probably take over and my lifts would suck in a few weeks of linear progression.

Air squats were thrown in to feel "hip drive." I enjoyed being back in the gym after so long. I've basically just been doing sporadic cardio and random stuff at home. I'll probably do some yoga to open up my hips and groin tonight. That's all.
    Last edited by NothingSpecial1; 08-16-2018 at 06:51 AM.
    One day at a time

Friday, August 17, 2018
    Workout B

Squat
    45 x 10
    65 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Bench Press
    45 x 10
    55 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Deadlift
    95 x 10
    115 x 5
    135 x 5

Pull Ups
    Bodyweight x 6, 10, 4

NOTES
    Wide grip pull ups are feeling tough. I hit a set of 10 using a close hammer grip before returning to wg for my third set. Been eating too much the past few days, probably a 1k surplus each of the last two days. Just going to try to maintain as best I can while hanging out and then get back to consistent deficits when I return to LA next week.
    One day at a time

Monday, August 20, 2018
    Workout A

Squat
    45 x 10, 10
    65 x 5
    75 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Bench Press
    45 x 10, 10
    60 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Barbell Row
    45 x 10, 10
    65 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Dips
    Bodyweight x 10, 10, 10

NOTES
    I'll have to start doing my dips weighted. Solid pump in both chest and tris from those.
    One day at a time

JVJVJV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man, good luck! I'm following. I also got into jiu-jitsu this year, although recently I've been climbing a lot more and only grapple with guys every few weeks or so. What's your favorite submission ?