lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

want to start bjj but scared to join a gym

seems like a very social place especially considering you touch people to roll and i'm socially awkward and introverted af since leaving a relationship, forgot how to talk to and interact with people. i also got out of shape, i'm skinny fat but my cardio is horrible and i sweat easily.

any tips? or should i just get in shape and work on myself before joining

weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) weightsb4dates has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    for the most parts gym are pretty welcoming to new members, regardless of the shape you are in. You may actually benefit from joining and letting Jiu-jitsu get you in shape. A pretty common anecdote in the bjj world is that learning bjj as a smaller, less muscular/strong guy is beneficial because you become more technically sound as you cant fall back on strength like someone who is in better shape.

lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilbloaty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by weightsb4dates View Post
    for the most parts gym are pretty welcoming to new members, regardless of the shape you are in. You may actually benefit from joining and letting Jiu-jitsu get you in shape. A pretty common anecdote in the bjj world is that learning bjj as a smaller, less muscular/strong guy is beneficial because you become more technically sound as you cant fall back on strength like someone who is in better shape.
    interesting, might just say fuk it and join.

Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) Walksnlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just join and get fit and in shape as you learn.

Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000) Thunder999 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lilbloaty View Post
    seems like a very social place especially considering you touch people to roll and i'm socially awkward and introverted af since leaving a relationship, forgot how to talk to and interact with people. i also got out of shape, i'm skinny fat but my cardio is horrible and i sweat easily.

Get yourself fit before joining.

Then ring a gym and enquire, chances are they will meet you on your first day.

whale, whale, whale...... LordBedwetter's Avatar
    LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10) LordBedwetter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Martial arts are generally welcoming of anyone humble enough to come to the dojo and learn. Don't be afraid, just go and start rolling. Everything else will come along.

chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chino3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by weightsb4dates View Post
    This. I was kind of spoiled by my first/home gym, as a huge chunk of us all started at the same time, same gym, and on the first day my coach lived in the US. Also, we had a sense of family that people who came frm other gyms would always comment on (and how quickly they were welcomed etc). I've trained at several other gyms since moving to SoCal a few years ago, and everyone has been pretty cool, but I don't get the same vibe as back home. Maybe it's just an LA thing lol.
    "It won't get better, just different."

Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gomi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go for it - and don't eat anything before you go because you'll be puking the first time or two. But don't let it discourage you, its normal for a lot of people, especially if you know you're out of shape. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can get into shape by grappling.
    "I would fight anyone of the UFC LW's, but the problem is that I will never put my foot in the octagon after they (UFC) tried to be funny, I would rather have bleeding hemorrhoids than fight for the UFC. I would rather have one true Japanese MMA supporter than one million fake mainstream supporters that will turn their back on you as soon as you lose a fight. - Joachim Hansen

“I would feel like a coward, like I’m running away,” - Mirko Crocop on moving to the 205lb LHW division

Shiverin' since '92 Mr.PissShivers's Avatar
    Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mr.PissShivers has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by chino3 View Post
    This. I was kind of spoiled by my first/home gym, as a huge chunk of us all started at the same time, same gym, and on the first day my coach lived in the US. Also, we had a sense of family that people who came frm other gyms would always comment on (and how quickly they were welcomed etc). I've trained at several other gyms since moving to SoCal a few years ago, and everyone has been pretty cool, but I don't get the same vibe as back home. Maybe it's just an LA thing lol.

What area in Socal do you train?
    DISNEYLAND CREW

JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JRSComeback has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Was thinking the same. Wanted to do boxing and BJJ but don't know which one to do first. BJJ would definitely be the more practical martial arts. I say just do it. We waste too much time overthinking things

bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bodybuilder127 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    interesting, might just say fuk it and join.
    That's what I said when joining a Muay Thai gym at 30... Fuk it - now or never

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Don't be scared! BJJ is really welcoming, and in a way it's easier not being super strong. The really strong white belt guys risk injuring other people with their wild flailing. If you do anything beforehand, maybe just try to get in some jogging and animal crawls (like bear walks and crab walks and stuff, and practice cartwheels if you can do those) because BJJ warmups might be hard otherwise.

But yeah. You should be fine. At my gym we have everyone from 90-pound women to 300-pound chubby guys who smoke.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Registered User betterthangoode's Avatar
    betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000) betterthangoode is a name known to all. (+5000)
    join now or you'll be kicking yourself in the ass in a year when you get the balls to join thinking of how much time you wasted over thinking.

NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. Skinny fat is the perfect physique for BJJ. Helps if you're under 5"9 as well.

2. BJJ gyms are the least intimidating martial arts gym you can be in, besides completely fake martial arts. The people there will be skinny fats, computer nerds, middle class dads who want to play weekend warrior. No ex-convict gets out of prison and thinks "ugh, I JUST WANNA ROLL WITH SOMEBODY!" they'll have done enough of that in the showers. More likely wanna punch somebody's face off so they'll join a boxing/kickboxing/MMA gym.
    Starting stats: 5"11, 130lbs @ age 16.

Current stats: 6"2, 215lbs.

The 8th and final rule: If this is your first night at Gym Club....... you have to squat.

LFC YNWA.

NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JRSComeback View Post
    Was thinking the same. Wanted to do boxing and BJJ but don't know which one to do first. BJJ would definitely be the more practical martial arts. I say just do it. We waste too much time overthinking things
    How? If you're in a street fight the ground is the last place you want to be. I'd suggest a year or two of boxing so you can drill the fundamentals effortlessly and then start kickboxing. The last thing Average Joe thinks is gonna happen in a streetfight is his leg and knees get chopped to pieces. With the rise of the UFC a lot of people expect streetfights to go to the ground now so even if they don't know how to grapple they're gonna be prepared to eye gouge, rabbit punch, etc. Ideally you don't want your opponent to be able to touch you.
    Last edited by NorthernLad93; 08-08-2018 at 02:08 AM.
    Starting stats: 5"11, 130lbs @ age 16.

Current stats: 6"2, 215lbs.

The 8th and final rule: If this is your first night at Gym Club....... you have to squat.

LFC YNWA.

Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Goingviking has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by NorthernLad93 View Post
    1. Skinny fat is the perfect physique for BJJ. Helps if you're under 5"9 as well..
    What shape you are in as a beginner doesn't really matter(assuming you can let go of your ego). Most anyone of average or slightly below health can do the drills. Sparring might vary school to school, so its possible that you won't be able to keep up in this area if your partners are not willing to adjust intensity.

Not sure where this skinny fat is the perfect physique concept comes from, but jiu jitsu is like any martial art where being the stronger and/or faster guy always brings advantage. There is no ideal height for jiu jitsu as each body type has their own advantages. Having long legs is good for guard and sweeps and being shorter can be better for takedowns and escapes for example.

As far as social awkwardness goes, you are there to train and for the most part you will pair up naturally. In most cases you don't have a lot of time to talk and basic greetings should get you by.

I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everyone ignore Northerntroll....

Back on topic: Depending on how much the people spar at your school, the training will be more or less hard, OP. But you can count on your paertners not trying to murder you. They will bring you to your limits and maybe beyond, but they will stay away from injuring you. If you are skinny fat, you are safe. If you start as a 250lbs. uncoordinated wannabe power lifter like me, People will have to go harder to stop you.
    Anyways BJJ will certainely get you in shape. Just swallow your ego and fight. It's much more fun than running on a treadmill.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Get yourself fit before joining.
    BS...
    When I first started, I was relatively strong but ZERO cardio. First time I rolled, I lasted a minute or two....maybe. Coach even told the other guy "he won't be back". But I kept going back and getting in better shape (as well as more skills).

Will it help to come in and have a gas tank, yes. Should you get yourself into shape before joining, not necessary at all. People join BJJ schools all the time to get fit and in shape.

You don't have to be a chatty Cathy to join a BJJ gym. It's honestly better IMO to be a little quiet and just learn. I'm a fairly extroverted and goofy IRL, but in class I become pretty quiet and really pay attention. You'll be come more comfortable with folks as you train as most schools are really welcoming to new folks.
    Just go join or try out a class or two...If you don't mind the physicality of it, you'll be fine.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

****READ THIS****
    1. DO NOT ASK ME TO DELETE YOUR OLD THREADS. Think before you post.
    2. Blame yourself if you're banned.

Registered User dethmetalanimal's Avatar
    dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Find a good instructor and go train. You cant be in shape when you first start. Everyone starts from zero. It is a whole other type of cardio.

Registered User hardcore_legend's Avatar
    hardcore_legend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just join a gym and have fun. If you wait until you are "in shape enough" you are never going to think you are in good enough shape. If the gym you are interested in has a fundamentals class or a beginners class, make sure you start there. Don't go to a competition class or an open mat where it is mainly drills and sparring.

JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50) JtSly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I should also point out that you cant "get into shape before BJJ" (or any other style for that matter) if you don't know how to do said activity yet.

People of varying athletic levels always come in. They're all sucking wind because they haven't been taught how to move yet. Everyone I hear whos trying to "get into shape" before joining never joins and more often than not ends up just being another excuse to not go in the first place....

And to reiterate what someone else had already mentioned, there is no "ideal" body type for BJJ. Correlation is not causation. Lots of guys are "skinny fat" or lacking the definition of a bodybuilder because they ARENT body builders and are trying to learn a skill rather than develop a particular body composition.
    Last edited by JtSly; 08-24-2018 at 06:24 AM.