fizzlerman9000 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Trying to get that extra definition...a little help please?

Hello everyone.

I'm a little new to this so I'm sorry if this is out of context for this forum.

I'm trying to get that solid definition on my entire torso (pectorals and core) so that I can have something to show off when I go to the beach/pool. I attached a picture of what I look like now that I took about 15 minutes ago.

Some quick information about me: I'm 6'1 (185 cm), 180 lbs (81.6 kg), I was a competitive basketball player all throughout middle and high school (7 years) and I graduated last year.

I haven't done many specific core workouts (or any weights/workouts for that matter - everything I have now is simply from practicing basketball) and I don't know where to start. I'm trying to get a solid and defined core and upper body. I've looked up ab workouts on the internet but there's so many different things that I just don't know where to start. For the upper body I feel like I could just go to the gym and do the machines but I don't know what's the most beneficial.

I'm here to ask if you guys have any ideas or something to get me started. If you don't, that's okay. I'd rather try and fail than not try at all.

Also, HUGE note: If you look at the picture, I have a little bit of a stomach below my belly button (above my shorts line) and my friends give me a hard time about it because when I sit down it folds over a bunch of times. I really want to get rid of it but I don't know how. That's a really important thing to me so if someone knows anything about that, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance
    Attached Images

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Go to the exercise program section and get on a program like fierce 5. Follow that and focus on continued progression. Also, read the stickies in the nutrition section about how to structure your eating. You are in prime growing years so have fun, be patient and enjoy the process.
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

miltonbilton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That little bit of stomach is called body fat.
    The simple answer is that you need to lower your body fat to see better definition, if the abs are being covered up by fat.

Some people are luckier than others and have more of their body fat in the legs than upper body so their abs are visible at 18% bodyfat, and some will have a disheartening amount around their abs which is probably the most desirable muscle group to show off, meaning even at 14% they don't show all that well.

Best bet is to pick a begginer programme and lift until you think you are adequately strong and have added enough muscle mass. Then go on a slow cut and keep lifting while dropping body fat.

gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gogo1000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    When you lower you body fat you will see some definition!
    Eat!
    Train!
    Sleep!