yologuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Questions from a beginner about weight lifting and getting stronger

I'm starting to lift weights because I'm embarrassed of how skinny my arms are and how weak I am. I was thinking about lifting 3kg weights everyday for an hour and Sunday is rest day. 3kg is best I can do for now.

How often do I take a rest day,is every Sunday fine or do you need more or less days? I can do about 10 reps before I have to rest for like 20 seconds. How long should my rests be between sets and does it matter. Should I lift for an hour and rest whenever I can't lift and lift again when I can?

I want to workout from home and don't have any equipment besides dumbbells/weights. Is 1 hour a day good or should I do more or less. I want to bulk up asap but I heard you shouldn't overtrain. From watching YouTube videos the most common exercise to gain arm muscle is lifting weights so I'm going with this.

I'm looking to just get bigger arms and get stronger because I might have to work a physically demanding job and also because my arms look hella skinny. I think biceps is what I'm looking to train. I want to be able to lift heavier and heavier things. I'm not trying to look good or have a beach body. Is it ok if I just lift weights and don't do any other workout.

I heard about triceps and other muscles in your arms but I don't know if I need to train those or if I do and how. I was lifting with 1 arm and using my phone with the other, it took 2 hours a day I'd lift for an hour with my right arm and then later in the day an hour with my left arm, besides spending an extra hour everyday is this method bad or inefficient?

Thanks

Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You’re thinking about it all wrong. Your body only adapts until it can do the thing you are requiring it to do. If all you are asking it to do is lift 3kg dumbbells all day, it will adapt just enough to be able to do that (which isn’t much) and then continuing to do the same thing every day won’t give it any reason to adapt further.

What you’re describing (just going through the motions every day with the same weights for a predetermined amount of time) is called exercise. Exercise is fine if you’re a couch potato who’s just trying not to deteriorate (which describes most people, which is why you hear things like an hour of exercise a day being recommended).

But if you want to actually gain muscle, you need to train. Training is different than exercise. It involves doing an ever increasing amount over time. And doing more and more set and reps every day with your little dumbbells won’t get you very far. It works much better to only do a few sets and use heavier and heavier weights over time.

And don’t just train your arms. That’s just silly.

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by yologuy View Post
    I was lifting with 1 arm and using my phone with the other, it took 2 hours a day I'd lift for an hour with my right arm and then later in the day an hour with my left arm, besides spending an extra hour everyday is this method bad or inefficient?
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

yologuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This was in the back of my mind but now I'm reminded, I'll do it the right way from now