LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

What % of 1RM for explosive training?

I have been incorporating dumbbell variations of Olympic lifts into my training program for max-strength. From what I understand, they also aid in explosive strength as well. I am taking a back-off week this week, but I am making a training schedule for next week. I want to start incorporating more explosive-strength training. I am thinking of having a day exclusively for dumbbell O-lifts. My question is, if I am training for explosiveness, what % of my 1RM should I be lifting?

EDIT: Just for more information - when I do O-lifts for max-strength, I lift a weight that I can do for 1-3 reps.
    Last edited by LuckyAH; 07-26-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Weightlifting is ideal for speed-strength, however I don't really know how you will perform exercises without a barbell (at least in a proper sense.) Is there any reason why you're not utilising a barbell?

The classic lifts see most of their training in the 70-75% range, though power variations are lower. Realistically, you will be building speed-strength regardless as the dynamic element will always be present.

LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LuckyAH has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Gwybodaeth View Post
    Weightlifting is ideal for speed-strength, however I don't really know how you will perform exercises without a barbell (at least in a proper sense.) Is there any reason why you're not utilising a barbell?

The classic lifts see most of their training in the 70-75% range, though power variations are lower. Realistically, you will be building speed-strength regardless as the dynamic element will always be present.

I am using dumbbells to perform the lifts because the learning curve is much smaller. I do not aspire to compete in Olympic lifting - I just want to use these exercises to develop explosive-strength and speed-strength.

From what I understand of your post, regardless of the % of my 1RM, I will always be training speed-strength, at least to some degree. If I focus on a lower %, like 60%-70% of my 1RM, will that develop my speed-strength and explosive-strength more than if I do the lifts at say 90%-100% of my 1RM?

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LuckyAH View Post
    I have been incorporating dumbbell variations of Olympic lifts into my training program for max-strength. From what I understand, they also aid in explosive strength as well. I am taking a back-off week this week, but I am making a training schedule for next week. I want to start incorporating more explosive-strength training. I am thinking of having a day exclusively for dumbbell O-lifts. My question is, if I am training for explosiveness, what % of my 1RM should I be lifting?

EDIT: Just for more information - when I do O-lifts for max-strength, I lift a weight that I can do for 1-3 reps.
    Mostly 80 (ish)% of 1 rep max and infrequently 90-95%.
    Now there are short and simple exercises which tire the body rapidly, and so save our time; and time is something of which we ought to keep strict account. These exercises are running, brandishing weights, and jumping…. Select for practice any one of these, and you will find it plain and easy. But whatever you do, come back soon from body to mind.

Seneca, Moral Epistles

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Mostly 80 (ish)% of 1 rep max and infrequently 90-95%.
    Thanks for the reply, supra. When I lift lighter (80%), I am guessing I am not going to be going to failure, but I will stop once I finish my effective reps, i.e. once I am no longer at peak explosiveness. Is this correct?

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the reply, supra. When I lift lighter (80%), I am guessing I am not going to be going to failure, but I will stop once I finish my effective reps, i.e. once I am no longer at peak explosiveness. Is this correct?
    Sounds good. It's the same thing, but for me it's when I have to make a second effort to lock out.
    Now there are short and simple exercises which tire the body rapidly, and so save our time; and time is something of which we ought to keep strict account. These exercises are running, brandishing weights, and jumping…. Select for practice any one of these, and you will find it plain and easy. But whatever you do, come back soon from body to mind.

Seneca, Moral Epistles

LuckyAH,

You don't have to get close to losing peak explosion. There are a lot of approaches to rep range. Google 'PRILEPINS's CHART'. Another really good approach is to take the heaviest weight you can do for 2 reps; subtract 10 LBS and then do 5 sets of 2 reps. With enough rest in between sets, you won't get close to losing peak explosion.

Seneca, Moral Epistles

Thanks for the info, Supra. That chart looks very useful!

sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000) sara2019 is just really nice. (+1000)
    1 RM is like 90%

MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Between 85% and 95% of the 1RM with 6-8 mins rest for 5-6 sets of 2-3 reps. If you want to be strict about it....