ehagen10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should i take supplements? Which ones?

This is my first post, hope it's in the right place.

I started lifting seriously Jan. 1 2017 at 6'1 155lbs and 14% body fat.

Currently at 6'2 180lbs 10% bf.

I think i got my nutrition down pretty well after about 6 months in and have been going hard since then.

I have never taken any supplements before (not even protein or pre-workout) and i was wondering if its worth it to start taking them.

I was thinking about starting just creatine and bcaas and maybe protein. If i start them now how much would they help out in terms of both size and strength? Or should i just keep lifting without supplements for a while longer?

Current
    Bench: 215 (recent)
    Squat: 270 (recent)
    Deadlift: 330 (few months ago)

No idea where i started as far as lifts

xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Take Creatine.
    Idk how you respond to pre-workouts but I guess you could try.
    *Go to the bathroom, flex in mirror and forget to pee crew*

*Shave one of my legs and pretend it's a girl in my bed crew*

*T-mobile worker laughed at me because only had one number for 5-friends/family list plan crew*

All weights were lifted gallagnm's Avatar
    gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    creatine helps with squeezing out some last extra reps (strength wise) - but research also shows creatine to have positive effects more than just in the gym

you only need protein to supplement the protein you are missing in your daily calories. If youre eating enough protein from whole foods, then you dont need it. Some people get it anyway for convenience sake

pre workouts help give you a little energy before the workout. If youre doing fine without it, i recommend to not take one. Most people (including myself) become reliant on them and it just turns into extra money each month. Good for you to be stim free

BCAAs are worthless if you have your nutrition down. No NEED here

maybe look into some fish oil as well?
    Personal Journal (ISSA-SSC, AFAA-CGFI, SPT)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175995851

🇱🇧 Lebanese Jesus 🇱🇧 dougefresh93's Avatar
    dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    "If i start them now how much would they help out in terms of both size and strength?"

BCAA - I'd pass
    Protein - only if your intake from food is lacking
    PWO - will help do to stims and power products in the product (im a big stim guy, personally)
    creatine - is a yes from me, NO LOADING PHASE needed

fish oil and a multivitamin (Anavite) would be the only other things I'd consider, and depending on diet, maybe a Greens product (i still hate veggies).

and huge congrats on the progress thus far!
    Gaspari Nutrition Representative
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gn/gn.htm

Instagram - @dougefresh093

Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, a protein supplement should solely be used to help you reach your protein macros for the day.

If your nutrition is in check, do you know the amount of calories/macros that your are targeting/consuming each day?

I would recommend picking up a creatine monohydrate, but I wouldn't recommend a BCAA (esp. if bulking).
    Myprotein's Official Bodybuilding.com Lead Representative ✔
    ► Europe's #1 Online Sports Nutrition Brand ◄
    US Site: us.myprotein.com
    Rest of the world: myprotein.com
    Fuel Your Ambition!

MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyproteinBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pick a good quality whey protein that’s tested like our Impact Whey.

Then a micronised Creatine that digests well like Creapure.

Basic supplements that work very well.
    Myprotein's Official Bodybuilding.com Profile
    Europe's #1 Online Sports Nutrition Brand
    US Site: us.myprotein.com
    Rest of the world: myprotein.com

Thanks guys! Definitely gonna pick up some creatine.

Heizz, no I haven't been tracking calories or macros, ive just been trying to eat close to bodyweight in protein and eat relatively low fat foods and lots of fruit.

Even though im getting enough protein, what do you guys think about getting some casein to take before bed because i always wake up in the middle of the night starving no matter how much i eat during the day. Guessing that's just high metabolism. Ik the casein wint exactly fill me up but i was thinking it might help supply protein throughout the night.

Sidenote - how do i check if people have replied to my thread w/o searching through the fourms for my post? Any notifications that im not seeing somehow?

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ehagen10 View Post
    Thanks guys! Definitely gonna pick up some creatine.

Heizz, no I haven't been tracking calories or macros, ive just been trying to eat close to bodyweight in protein and eat relatively low fat foods and lots of fruit.

Even though im getting enough protein, what do you guys think about getting some casein to take before bed because i always wake up in the middle of the night starving no matter how much i eat during the day. Guessing that's just high metabolism. Ik the casein wint exactly fill me up but i was thinking it might help supply protein throughout the night.

Sidenote - how do i check if people have replied to my thread w/o searching through the fourms for my post? Any notifications that im not seeing somehow?
    How can you say you wake up hungry 'no matter how much you eat' during the day, when you don't know how much you are eating?

Track.

What is your average weekly bodyweight change?

I just mean that on days where i feel like i downed a whole pizza by myself before bed (not very often) i will sometimes still wake up and eat more in the night. Been gaining close to .5 lbs a week lately.

I dont feel like its that hard to know when i ate a lot more than usual without tracking. But i will start tracking if its really that important.
    Last edited by ehagen10; 07-27-2018 at 07:54 PM.

charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) charlotte32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    or maybe some vitamins to strengthen the body more?

HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HOOMY903 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Honestly Optimum Nutrition is still a solid in my routine when I take supplements, its just easy and taste great.

levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) levit12 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

I think i got my nutrition down pretty well after about 6 months in and have been going hard since then.

I have never taken any supplements before (not even protein or pre-workout) and i was wondering if its worth it to start taking them.

I was thinking about starting just creatine and bcaas and maybe protein. If i start them now how much would they help out in terms of both size and strength? Or should i just keep lifting without supplements for a while longer?

Current

Yes, creatine is the best supplement out there.

Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    well I prefer to mantain my food, rather than taking a supplement

joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseperez18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Current

I am not a big fan of protein powders I like to get most of my protein from food sources but creatine and pre workout are a must !