icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Beginner drum set

My son is currently taking lessons, he just started, and is really liking it at this time. If progresses and continues to enjoy it, I will want to get him a good starter set. He is 15 and what would be a good set to get him on his way?
    Official Supp. Misc Beer Crew

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them
    Iron fist to claim it all

icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Mod please move this to the over 35 misc.

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    don't buy a crappy set of drums just because your son is starting out. He will be more into it with a quality set, and 15 year olds get passionate about stuff like that
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
    (Marshall McLuhan)

YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't buy a beginner set. They're usually made of soft wood, come with brass cymbals, and cheap hardware. Splash out more for an intermediate set birch or maple ply, some B8 bronze cymbals, etc. It makes a massive difference. Look around for second hand kits as well, you can save a lot of money.
    Maker-wise there isn't much in it, to be honest. Most shells will be made by the same manufacturer regardless of the company putting the kits together.
    The heads are more important.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
    My son is currently taking lessons, he just started, and is really liking it at this time. If progresses and continues to enjoy it, I will want to get him a good starter set. He is 15 and what would be a good set to get him on his way?
    Your choice will be dictated mostly by your budget. As with any other type of musical instrument, quality costs $$$, and must be weighed against the fact that 15-year-old kids go through many phases of interest/disinterest.

One other point to consider is that a quality, name-brand kit, if your son loses interest, will hold it's value much better than the typical, discount-store, 'no name' "beginner" kit, and you may be able to recover most of the cost when you sell it.

One other point to consider is buying a 2nd-hand kit, providing you know which are the better brands and know what you're looking at. If you decide to go this route, try to enlist the help of an experienced drummer to find a suitable kit for a reasonable price.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 07-26-2018 at 06:06 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There are a lot of inexpensive brands out there: PDP, Mapex, Taye - but even the big names make some inexpensive and very good drum sets: Gretsch has a Catalina Maple kit that is sometimes found on sale for excellent prices, Tama Imperialstar are great drums for the money, Pearl's Forum is their entry-level kit and sounds good, Ludwig has the Accent series as their entry-level product and it also is a famous name with an decent low-priced offering.

Buying drum sets can be a little more complicated than it seems - you'll need the drums, cymbal stands, a snare drum stand, a hi hat stand, a bass drum pedal, and a seat.

Sometimes drum sets come with these things, sometimes they don't. If you're buying a new set, lower-end entry kits usually include the necessary hardware (and sometimes cymbals).

If you're buying used, you'll need to pay attention to the details of every purchase you're thinking about making.
    "it's likely one of us will have to spend some days alone"

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sorry.....I think I hit the wrong 'reps' button.....I'm an idiot.

Meant to leave you a green reps message stating he's only 15 and this could be a short lived interest.
    So, I would suggest looking for a way to rent a drum set from a music store or something similar.
    Maybe a 'rent to own' agreement.
    I also think lessons would be in order which would verify any long term interest.

If it were me, I wouldn't purchase quite yet.
    Yes.....I was drummer for some time and also rented in my youth (back during the Pleistocene Epoch, that is).

Judgment call......good luck.

(Brother IRONWILL.....would you please remove his negs....I think I erroneously hit the wrong button and can't undo.....thanks)
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 07-26-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Wayne Evans View Post
    Sorry.....I think I hit the wrong 'reps' button.....I'm an idiot.

Meant to leave you a green reps message stating he's only 15 and this could be a short lived interest.
    So, I would suggest looking for a way to rent a drum set from a music store or something similar.
    Maybe a 'rent to own' agreement.
    If it were me, I wouldn't purchase quite yet.
    Yes.....I was drummer for some time.

Judgment call......good luck.

(Brother IRONWILL.....can you remove his negs....I think I erroneously hit the wrong button.....thanks)

Two of my boys wanted drum sets for Christmas a few years ago. Before any investment I bought them both drumsticks and a practice pad. One was hitting pillows, had created a homemade kit out of books, and was quite creative in approaching space around him while hitting everything in sight. The other one played with the pad for a couple of days. Needless to say that Christmas one boy got a nice used PearL Export kit I found on Craigslist and one got a skateboard.

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 7Seconds View Post
    Before any investment I bought them both drumsticks and a practice pad. One was hitting pillows, had created a homemade kit out of books, and was quite creative in approaching space around him while hitting everything in sight. .
    Chuckle.....I've done all the above.

The practice pad is also a good idea.....I still have my practice pad!

Carry on.....

(ajdahlheimer: got your note....chuckle. This was the ONLY time I'd ever negged anyone.)
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 07-26-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Original music:

"One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

We got him a practice pad and a set of sticks yesterday. Luckily for us, a kid, 22 yo, down the street works for a music company, is giving him lessons for free out of his garage. We offered to pay him but he says no thanks. Anyway, I greatly appreciate all the input and will keep that in mind if, he chooses to continue with his enthusiasm. I am finding out, things can get pricey and quick. I wasn't impressed with any of the complete sets I found online. I'll probably go 2nd hand or get him a good starter set, with the above guidelines helping me out. My son has been in choir since grade school and has a passion for music. Last night he set up cans on the table and was "showing off" for his nana and pops, my in-laws. The kit's I'm leaning towards are Yamaha Rydeen, Ludwig Break Beats and Pearl Roadshow or Exports for new or used sets.

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

There are a lot of inexpensive brands out there: PDP, Mapex, Taye - but even the big names make some inexpensive and very good drum sets: Gretsch has a Catalina Maple kit that is sometimes found on sale for excellent prices, Tama Imperialstar are great drums for the money, Pearl's Forum is their entry-level kit and sounds good, Ludwig has the Accent series as their entry-level product and it also is a famous name with an decent low-priced offering.

Buying drum sets can be a little more complicated than it seems - you'll need the drums, cymbal stands, a snare drum stand, a hi hat stand, a bass drum pedal, and a seat.

[bold]Sometimes drum sets come with these things, sometimes they don't. If you're buying a new set, lower-end entry kits usually include the necessary hardware (and sometimes cymbals).[/bold]

If you're buying used, you'll need to pay attention to the details of every purchase you're thinking about making.

I'm finding this out and it can get pricey real quick.

Even though I listed a couple of brand kit, in my previous post, I'm not stuck on those brands or kits. I'm looking for good quality, resale value if necessary and bang for your buck. Also, what cymbals provide a good quality for a decent price?

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

We got him a practice pad and a set of sticks yesterday. Luckily for us, a kid, 22 yo, down the street works for a music company, is giving him lessons for free out of his garage. sets.
    Excellent....good start.

Here's the kit I had.....love the natural wood finish. Drum set.jpg
    (3) mounted toms - (2) floor toms (the second floor tom isn't in that image....that was my recording area.)

(someday I may learn to actually post the image itself)

Back to it.....
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 07-26-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Original music:

I'm finding this out and it can get pricey real quick.

Even though I listed a couple of brand kit, in my previous post, I'm not stuck on those brands or kits. I'm looking for good quality, resale value if necessary and bang for your buck. Also, what cymbals provide a good quality for a decent price?

Option #1: Used cymbals on Craigslist. Used pro cymbals in good cpndition for the price of brand new mid range ones.

Option #2: Dream or Wuhan

On one hand you could buy the cheapest ones you can find and let him play them until he learns how to hit them, which is an art itself. But it’s definitely more fun if you sound better and sh*t cymbals are one of the surest ways to suck all the joy out of playing. I think a compromise would be to buy Wuhan cymbals. They’re B20 and surprisingly well made with a low price tag. Good enough sound, and cheap enough that it won’t matter if they get some chips or dents.

And the Pearl Export was a perfect set for my 12 year old, the roadshow would be good as well

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    The kit's I'm leaning towards are Yamaha Rydeen, Ludwig Break Beats and Pearl Roadshow or Exports for new or used sets.
    Any of those would be an excellent kit for a beginner.

Good luck to your son.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

A Guitar Center Employee pointed this set out. It's a full set and the shells are made of birch. This is really at the top of my spending range. After piecing together, some of the previous kit's I mentioned, with hardware, cymbals and seat, It is more than I want to spend. I will keep my eye out for a premium used set as well. I will not be pulling the trigger no earlier than Christsmas so, I have plenty of time.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-P...te-Drum-Set.gc

Featuring all-birch shells, this 5-piece all-in-one drum set includes hardware, cymbals and throne; just add sticks and you’re ready to play right out of the box. The all-birch shells are cut with a special Arch-Tech bearing edge that brings more drum head surface in contact with wood plies to produce warm, resonant tone with plenty of attack.

The aesthetic appeal of the drums is heightened by matching, solid wood bass drum hoops, which nicely complement the wrap finishes. The included hardware and cymbal pack offers two chrome-plated double-braced stands, a chain-drive pedal, cymbals and a drum throne. Fitted with Remo heads, the Sound Percussion Labs Unity Birch 5-piece all-in-one drum set gives you big-time features at an incredible price.

Features
    Configuration
    Bass drum(s): 22" x 16"
    Tom(s): 10" x 8", 12" x 9"
    Floor tom(s): 16" x 14"
    Snare: 14" x 5"
    Total pieces: 5
    Extras
    Cymbals: Yes
    Total cymbals: 3
    Hardware: Yes
    Bass pedal(s): Yes
    Hi-hat stand: Yes
    Boom stand(s): No
    Straight stand(s): Yes
    Throne: Yes
    Hardware pieces: 5
    Shells
    Shell material: Birch
    Construction: Multi-ply
    Thickness (mm): Info Not Available
    Bearing edge: Proprietary (Arch-Tech)
    Drum Hardware
    Material: Steel
    Mounts: Traditional
    Hoops: Triple-flange
    Lugs: Standard
    Other
    Heads: Branded (Remo)
    Finish type: Wrap
    Origin country: China

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

Bumping again for further questions.

What is the difference in the shells being poplar, birch or mahogany? I have a friend at a music store, with his discount, can get the Pearl Roadshow Complete 5 piece set for $490. It sells on the floor for $700. Pearls shells are made from poplar. The Yamaha Rydeen, shells and hardware, would run $421.000. Yamaha's shells are made of Mahagony. The advantage to the Pearl set is it comes with •Zildjian Planet Z ride, crash and hi-hat cymbals.

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

Also Ludwig Break Beats would run $400 for shells and hardware and they are made from poplar.

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

What is the difference in the shells being poplar, birch or mahogany?
    Piqued my curiosity....found this: https://www.thomann.de/blog/en/best-materials-drums/

"Conclusion
    Harder woods such as birch, maple and beech sound more present, “louder”, while softer ones such as mahogany and poplar are a bit softer and more forgiving. The latter two are therefore often found in the modern vintage-style models of many manufacturers. With this information you should be able to narrow down, a bit, what type of sound you should expect. Using the Internet, you can also quickly find out which drums your heroes play and pick up some suggestions for their own kit choice. In general, the same applies here with cheaper drums: Toms and bass drums must have the right sizes, work well with your sound and look great, factors that inspire significantly more than the invisible knowledge of a special wood mixture. And if the fear of making a wrong purchase decision robs you of sleep, don’t worry, even the loudest metal kit can be quickly converted to a 70s disco kit with a set of retro-style skins. For example, with the Aquarian American Vintage models:"

I think it's easy to over-think this aspect and I would not put emphasis on it....it's splitting hairs.
    Go with your gut in this context and/or scope out some reviews on the manufacturer series you're considering in case there are construction complaints about laminate pealing/separating over time.

Ahh....I recall my excitement in renting my first trap set.....in 1964.

But....that's just me....carry on.
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 08-01-2018 at 06:14 AM.
    Original music:

Bumping again for further questions.

What is the difference in the shells being poplar, birch or mahogany? I have a friend at a music store, with his discount, can get the Pearl Roadshow Complete 5 piece set for $490. It sells on the floor for $700. Pearls shells are made from poplar. The Yamaha Rydeen, shells and hardware, would run $421.000. Yamaha's shells are made of Mahagony. The advantage to the Pearl set is it comes with •Zildjian Planet Z ride, crash and hi-hat cymbals.

I’ve never been at a show and heard someone say “oh man, can you hear the maple?!” There are some sound differences between wood, metal, acrylic or whatever, but between woods the biggest differences will come from the bearing edge, head/hardware and thickness/depth of the shell. Wood species matter, just way less than that other stuff. You can get a good sound on pretty much any kit with good heads and proper tuning.

Brief reference on some of the basic differences.

http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/d...ce-pure/#shell

What is the difference in the shells being poplar, birch or mahogany?
    The type of wood used, as well as the number if plys, in construction is one of many factors involved in the tone that is created when struck. To a seasoned studio drummer, it's one more way to create his 'signature' sound.

To a beginner's ear though, no noticeable difference.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Piqued my curiosity....found this: https://www.thomann.de/blog/en/best-materials-drums/

"Conclusion
    Harder woods such as birch, maple and beech sound more present, “louder”, while softer ones such as mahogany and poplar are a bit softer and more forgiving. The latter two are therefore often found in the modern vintage-style models of many manufacturers. With this information you should be able to narrow down, a bit, what type of sound you should expect. Using the Internet, you can also quickly find out which drums your heroes play and pick up some suggestions for their own kit choice. In general, the same applies here with cheaper drums: Toms and bass drums must have the right sizes, work well with your sound and look great, factors that inspire significantly more than the invisible knowledge of a special wood mixture. And if the fear of making a wrong purchase decision robs you of sleep, don’t worry, even the loudest metal kit can be quickly converted to a 70s disco kit with a set of retro-style skins. For example, with the Aquarian American Vintage models:"

I think it's easy to over-think this aspect and I would not put emphasis on it....it's splitting hairs.
    Go with your gut in this context and/or scope out some reviews on the manufacturer series you're considering in case there are construction complaints about laminate pealing/separating over time.

Ahh....I recall my excitement in renting my first trap set.....in 1964.

But....that's just me....carry on.
    I'm definitely over thinking it. It's what I tend to do when I know nada about something.

I’ve never been at a show and heard someone say “oh man, can you hear the maple?!” There are some sound differences between wood, metal, acrylic or whatever, but between woods the biggest differences will come from the bearing edge, head/hardware and thickness/depth of the shell. Wood species matter, just way less than that other stuff. You can get a good sound on pretty much any kit with good heads and proper tuning.

Brief reference on some of the basic differences.

http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/d...ce-pure/#shell
    I understand that but, I'm a really green newb to this subject and was just wondering.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    The type of wood used, as well as the number if plys, in construction is one of many factors involved in the tone that is created when struck. To a seasoned studio drummer, it's one more way to create his 'signature' sound.

To a beginner's ear though, no noticeable difference.
    Cool

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

I'm definitely over thinking it. It's what I tend to do when I know nada about something.
    Chuckle....I hear you....I've been guilty of that on occasion.

Did I say just 'go with your gut' at this juncture.

Do post a pic of the purchase for us drummers to drool over.

Carry on....
    Original music:

I understand that but, I'm a really green newb to this subject and was just wondering.

I am real familiar with the Pearl and Ludwig lines you mentioned and would think either would be a great start for your son. And these days, you can get a pretty good idea of how any mass-produced drum kit will sound via YouTube videos. Just search the drum line and you should find several results, usually both professionally mic'd and recorded with a sh*tty camera phone (to give you a better idea.)

I played and toured for many years on kits that were cheap... and in one case it was literally garbage (i pulled it out of trash cans). Put a funny wrap on them, take a good snare and some nice cymbals and from 50 head bars to multi-thousand seat venues nobody cared. Good heads, good tuning and solid construction and edges... ANY kit can be made to sound good. However, like I said the difference in a "Philippine Mahogany" kit and more expensive maple or birch kits isn't the 90% or so "good enough" sound... it's the 10% in tone (and adjustability) that the cheaper kit can't match; which is not really something you need to focus on at this point.

Good luck to your son and don’t forget ear protection for him, tinnitus is no fun.
    Last edited by 7Seconds; 08-01-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Chuckle....I hear you....I've been guilty of that on occasion.

Did I say just 'go with your gut' at this juncture.

Do post a pic of the purchase for us drummers to drool over.

Carry on....

Will do and when I buy him his first kit, it will be his Christmas present. I have plenty of time to over indulge my curiosity. lol

I am real familiar with the Pearl and Ludwig lines you mentioned and would think either would be a great start for your son. And these days, you can get a pretty good idea of how any mass-produced drum kit will sound via YouTube videos. Just search the drum line and you should find several results, usually both professionally mic'd and recorded with a sh*tty camera phone (to give you a better idea.)

I played and toured for many years on kits that were cheap... and in one case it was literally garbage (i pulled it out of trash cans). Put a funny wrap on them, take a good snare and some nice cymbals and from 50 head bars to multi-thousand seat venues nobody cared. Good heads, good tuning and solid construction and edges... ANY kit can be made to sound good. However, like I said the difference in a "Philippine Mahogany" kit and more expensive maple or birch kits isn't the 90% or so "good enough" sound... it's the 10% in tone (and adjustability) that the cheaper kit can't match; which is not really something you need to focus on at this point.

Good luck to your son and don’t forget ear protection for him, tinnitus is no fun.
    Good idea on the ear protection. I suffer from tinnitus as well and it sucks.

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

A little update, this is my boys 8th lesson and he is really enjoying himself. That's not his kit, still planning on getting him one for Christmas. The other kid is the neighbor who is giving him free lessons.

Last edited by icetrauma; 09-26-2018 at 09:18 PM.

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

Christmas came early at our house. He’s one happy kiddo.

Specs on the kit, hardware included in kit

Bass Drum(s): 22 x 18 in.
    • Tom(s): 10 x 8, 12 x 9 in.
    • Floor Tom(s): 16 x 14 in.
    • Snare: 14 x 5 in.
    • Total Pieces: 5
    HH45W Stage Master hi-hat stand
    HS40W Stage Master snare stand
    HC43BW Stage Master boom cymbal stand
    HC42W Stage Master straight cymbal stand
    Drum throne
    MEINL HCS 14 in. hi-hats, 16 in. crash and 20 in. ride

Last edited by icetrauma; 12-10-2018 at 09:56 AM.

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lucky kid. Great Christmas present. Bet the neighbors living above and below aren't so happy.

My daughter's down to start drum lessons on 11th Jan, so I might have all this ahead of me, just how bad are "fake" practice drum sets and electronic drums etc?

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Lucky kid. Great Christmas present. Bet the neighbors living above and below aren't so happy.

My daughter's down to start drum lessons on 11th Jan, so I might have all this ahead of me, just how bad are "fake" practice drum sets and electronic drums etc?
    We live in a neighborhood and have a good set of neighbors on both sides. He doesn't play after 8pm due to laws. His instructor lives down the street and had the cops called on him twice for playing after 8pm.

Not sure about the cost of others.

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    just how bad are "fake" practice drum sets and electronic drums etc?
    Not sure what you're referring to concerning "fake" practice drums.

As far as electronic drum sets go, they're a viable substitute for acoustic drums when noise is a consideration. But as with any type of musical equipment/instrument, you get what you pay for; the hardware and pad surfaces of an electronic kit still must be able to stand up to a beating. And while not so important for a beginner, the sensitivity of the pads (and the head unit's ability to accurately follow the pads' trigger signals) regarding their ability to trigger dynamically in order to follow the player's nuances is a big consideration for a more-advanced player. Better sound quality and playability equates to higher cost.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal: