Thread: H.i.i.t.

Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

H.i.i.t.

I've done a few H.I.I.T. workouts before, but never followed a program full on. Usually the stuff that pushes my limits more, makes for better results. I'm not looking to lose fat, just want to gain size. I'm short on time and I feel that you are that much closer to your recovery meal after a h.i.i.t. workout too. I also care about health and the cardio aspect is another plus.

Who has done H.I.I.T. and how were your results gaining mass? Any specific h.i.i.t routine recommendations?

I tried to use the search function but maybe I'm doing it wrong. I can't get any results.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When you say you just want to gain size... Are you talking about doing some hiit between the bodybuilding sessions, or are you asking about using hiit to increase muscles?

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How do you plan on adding mass with HIIT? I'm confused.
    Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175660541

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Clarko View Post
    I've done a few H.I.I.T. workouts before, but never followed a program full on. Usually the stuff that pushes my limits more, makes for better results. I'm not looking to lose fat, just want to gain size. I'm short on time and I feel that you are that much closer to your recovery meal after a h.i.i.t. workout too. I also care about health and the cardio aspect is another plus.

Who has done H.I.I.T. and how were your results gaining mass? Any specific h.i.i.t routine recommendations?

I tried to use the search function but maybe I'm doing it wrong. I can't get any results.
    Are you talking about something like this? https://muscleevo.net/hirt-afterburn-effect/

Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by FaIIen View Post
    How do you plan on adding mass with HIIT? I'm confused.
    Eating alot and using effective exercises.. But I mean that is my question. Do you all think it's a good idea? I guess you don't, but I was looking for a more clear cut, less sarcastic answer.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    When you say you just want to gain size... Are you talking about doing some hiit between the bodybuilding sessions, or are you asking about using hiit to increase muscles?
    I'm tallking about using hiit solely to increase muscle mass, and gain health benefits from cardio. I would use exercises that are effective for building muscle in hiit, and running around my deserted gym like a madman.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Are you talking about something like this? https://muscleevo.net/hirt-afterburn-effect/
    No but that is super cool! I was talking about circuit training. I still can't decide if I would split some body parts or do a full body workout everytime. I think I'd split it up some, like leg day may look like stiff deads x 8 //leg press x 10 // 45 degree calf press x 12 // hack squats x 12 repeat 5x minimal rest between sets

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Eating alot and using effective exercises.. But I mean that is my question. Do you all think it's a good idea? I guess you don't, but I was looking for a more clear cut, less sarcastic answer.

I'm tallking about using hiit solely to increase muscle mass, and gain health benefits from cardio. I would use exercises that are effective for building muscle in hiit, and running around my deserted gym like a madman.
    He's not being sarcastic. HIIT is not used for muscle building.

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I honestly had a hard time understanding how you were going to use weights with HIIT. The general consensus is that you're not building muscle (at least not as well as you could be) if your using intensities below 60 %1RM. HIIT with weights sounded pretty much like glorified cardio with even lower weights.

But I mean if you're talking about something like rest pause or doggcrapp, maybe. You should have a clearer plan if you want someone to review it tho.

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have never seen any evidence that doing HIIT with weights will increase muscle mass.

Of course, it'll increase muscle mass compared to not doing anything. But compared to lifting properly, there's no comparison.

May I ask why it is you want to do this? What made you think it's a good idea? What's wrong with lifting in a more conventional manner? Being unconventional isn't inherently good. Convention is normally convention for good reason.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

Originally Posted by FaIIen View Post
    I honestly had a hard time understanding how you were going to use weights with HIIT. The general consensus is that you're not building muscle (at least not as well as you could be) if your using intensities below 60 %1RM. HIIT with weights sounded pretty much like glorified cardio with even lower weights.

But I mean if you're talking about something like rest pause or doggcrapp, maybe. You should have a clearer plan if you want someone to review it tho.
    ohh damn sorry man. I didn't even know what h.i.i.t. is I guess.. Idk I guess my memory got confused. I have not read up on h.i.i.t. in awhile. I thought h.i.i.t. was circuit training basically. So what I'm really trying to do guys is circuit train. Like the leg workout I outlined above. Minimal rest, maybe no rest periods once I build up to that. I want to keep my heart rate up the whole workout, and finish a 50 min workout much quicker. The reason I think this might be better is because the cardio aspect for health, and the intensity on your cns, plus less time in the gym is always better if you get more accomplished.

here's a copy and paste of that leg day example. stiff deads x 8 //leg press x 10 // 45 degree calf press x 12 // hack squats x 12 repeat 5x minimal rest between sets

Originally Posted by TheGymJim View Post
    I have never seen any evidence that doing HIIT with weights will increase muscle mass.

Of course, it'll increase muscle mass compared to not doing anything. But compared to lifting properly, there's no comparison.

May I ask why it is you want to do this? What made you think it's a good idea? What's wrong with lifting in a more conventional manner? Being unconventional isn't inherently good. Convention is normally convention for good reason.
    sorry I was confused about what h.i.i.t. is... I've done alot of conventional stuff and I just like to try new things. Profile pic is old, and I've been bigger and smaller than I am now. I'm about 225 at 6'4" w kind of low bodyfat, and I'd consider myself an advanced trainee at an intermediate level right now.

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sorry I was confused about what h.i.i.t. is... I've done alot of conventional stuff and I just like to try new things. Profile pic is old, and I've been bigger and smaller than I am now. I'm about 225 at 6'4" w kind of low bodyfat, and I'd consider myself an advanced trainee at an intermediate level right now.
    Cool.

You still won't build muscle by doing what basically amounts to cardio. Particularly not as a more advanced trainee.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

Cool.

You still won't build muscle by doing what basically amounts to cardio. Particularly not as a more advanced trainee.
    ahh this thread is such a fail because of me.. lol. I don't think you realize what I'm trying to do. I'm basically trying to do circuit training with effective exercises. I posted a sample leg day twice.

I really don't see how it can't be effective for muscle building. I'm just unsure if it will be just as or more/less effective than longer rest periods, and not super setting everything.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Most people who think they are doing HIIT are actually doing interval training, IMO.

My definition of HIIT is more "high-intensity" than jogging at an 8 minutes-a-mile pace for 60 seconds, then walking 2 minutes, then repeat... to me, true HIIT is more like all out effort (think a timed 100 yard dash), walk the remainder of the minute (assuming dash takes 15 seconds or less) then start the cycle again. Granted, you need to be in good shape to do this level, but you can get in a killer workout in 10-12 minutes.

fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) fat2fit8787 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I've always understood hiit is used to boost metabolism and burn fat for up to 48 hrs after the workout . If you are looking to get big.....its eating lots of protein and lifting.....

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Most people who think they are doing HIIT are actually doing interval training, IMO.

My definition of HIIT is more "high-intensity" than jogging at an 8 minutes-a-mile pace for 60 seconds, then walking 2 minutes, then repeat... to me, true HIIT is more like all out effort (think a timed 100 yard dash), walk the remainder of the minute (assuming dash takes 15 seconds or less) then start the cycle again. Granted, you need to be in good shape to do this level, but you can get in a killer workout in 10-12 minutes.

Originally Posted by fat2fit8787 View Post
    I've always understood hiit is used to boost metabolism and burn fat for up to 48 hrs after the workout . If you are looking to get big.....its eating lots of protein and lifting.....
    Guy's I'm an idiot and am not trying to do h.i.i.t. I thought h.i.i.t. was something else. Please read the last half of the thread if you want to help me. Sorry everyone, I really don't want to make a new thread though. If anybody can tell me what they think about circuit training vs. normal training for gaining mass, please do..

If anybody can tell me what they think about circuit training vs. normal training for gaining mass, please do..
    Yes.

Circuit training is not optimal for gaining mass.

You can't put as much effort into each set, therefore you can't lift as much weight, therefore you can't get as much volume and you can't progressively overload as easily.

Therefore, it's not as good for building mass.

/thread

Yes.

Circuit training is not optimal for gaining mass.

You can't put as much effort into each set, therefore you can't lift as much weight, therefore you can't get as much volume and you can't progressively overload as easily.

Therefore, it's not as good for building mass.

/thread
    I agree with this. You want to super set leg curls and extensions? Sure go ahead. But if you're trying to squat in the same rotation with a multitude of isolation exercises, your performance on squats will be awful. It'll make progression very hard.

Yes.

/thread
    This.

Thanks guys