Benpisahov93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

For how long can you train once a week to keep your gains?

Hi everyone,just an interesting question I got in mind.
    i'm a student, and now we have the exam period so in the last 4-5 weeks (and the next 2-3 weeks) i can not train as much, but I still manage to get to the gym here and there..

I have been in the gym like 5 times in the last 5 weeks (instead of 4-5 times a week..) and I thought that the best option that I got is to do a FBW workout with the main compound movements..

I usually do 4-5 heavy sets of squats, 2-3 deadlift, 5 sets of heavy bench press, a little lower intensity on shoulder press, weighted pull up, rows, and sometimes some accessories (yeah,a long and exhausting workout..)

in the first 2-3 weeks I haven't lost any strength but my muscle felt more "soft" and I had less pump..
    in the last 2 weeks I feel much weaker (usually the first set is alright but im running out of gas in the next sets), I lost like 4-5 pounds (which is usual, probably glycogen and water)

soo.. my question is, is there any study that indicates the minimum effective volume to KEEP the gains? (not to get better)

like.. I feel that if I keep training only once a week for the next 2-3 weeks i will get significantly weaker and smaller..

would be glad to hear your thoughts

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Benpisahov93 View Post
    i'm a student, and now we have the exam period so in the last 4-5 weeks (and the next 2-3 weeks) i can not train as much, but I still manage to get to the gym here and there..

I have been in the gym like 5 times in the last 5 weeks (instead of 4-5 times a week..) and I thought that the best option that I got is to do a FBW workout with the main compound movements..

I usually do 4-5 heavy sets of squats, 2-3 deadlift, 5 sets of heavy bench press, a little lower intensity on shoulder press, weighted pull up, rows, and sometimes some accessories (yeah,a long and exhausting workout..)

in the first 2-3 weeks I haven't lost any strength but my muscle felt more "soft" and I had less pump..
    in the last 2 weeks I feel much weaker (usually the first set is alright but im running out of gas in the next sets), I lost like 4-5 pounds (which is usual, probably glycogen and water)

soo.. my question is, is there any study that indicates the minimum effective volume to KEEP the gains? (not to get better)

like.. I feel that if I keep training only once a week for the next 2-3 weeks i will get significantly weaker and smaller..

I think you're doing the best you can do and should be successful in maintaining your muscle - just make sure that you're getting adequate protein.

Benpisahov93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    I think you're doing the best you can do and should be successful in maintaining your muscle - just make sure that you're getting adequate protein.
    I hope so man,
    I think that it can even have a positive effect, maybe I will be much more sensetive to high volume after that "mini break" and get back quickly, but its still interesting to know whats the minimum time/week for the natural lifter to keep most of the gains longterm

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    A study wouldn’t do you much good, as it’s going to be an individual thing. Hypothetically, if you stimulate the muscles properly you could make progress working out once a week...hypothetically. Look at Arther Jones and Mike Mentzer’s stuff for opinions in this area.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    i'd try to sneak in a second session. If you can't you can't. We do what we can at times like these, we all have them.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rami999 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    twice a week is better, because your muscle need 48 hours for recovery, so why would you leave it without training this much

JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuWo420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

i always make sure i have hit every muscle atleast 2 times a week with 48h rest in between to regain strength and give it time to grow. but i think if you just train every muscle atleast once in a week in splits or full body workouts then you're doing alright .

jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcreed77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JuWo420 View Post
    i always make sure i have hit every muscle atleast 2 times a week with 48h rest in between to regain strength and give it time to grow. but i think if you just train every muscle atleast once in a week in splits or full body workouts then you're doing alright .
    To hit each muscle group twice a week, you must be doing an upper/lower or full body workouts? I've always wondered how one could work each muscle twice a week while on a 5-day split where each day focuses on one muscle group.
    2018:

205lbs 6'2

B/S/D -- 250/315/375 lbs 14% bf

Goal: 210lbs 315/405/500 10% bf

Using Madcow and clean bulk to get there.
    2020:

215lbs 6'2

B/S/D -- 315/405/475 lbs 16% bf

Goal: 215lbs 365/455/500 10% bf