Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just had a Caramel Mocha Swirl Iced Coffee which has 180 calories, 36g of sugar, and 41 g carbs, but I feel a little less guilty now. I'll eat/drink healthy the rest of the day =)

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CharmAnders View Post
    I just had a Caramel Mocha Swirl Iced Coffee which has 180 calories, 36g of sugar, and 41 g carbs, but I feel a little less guilty now. I'll eat/drink healthy the rest of the day =)
    Clearly you still lack comprehension of what we’ve been saying.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The advice has changed over the years which is probably why it's confusing:

Calories are all that matter era
    Fat is bad era
    Fats are ok but Saturated Fats are bad era
    Carbs are bad era
    Carbs are ok but Sugar is bad era
    Calories and getting at least minimum protein/fat is what you need era

We're on the last one now, you can ignore the advice from previous eras. Often times they weren't totally wrong per se, just wildly exaggerated and too generalized.

CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharmAnders is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    Clearly you still lack comprehension of what we’ve been saying.
    So I should feel bad?

I'm just trying to understand you guys because it all sounds like bro science

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    So I should feel bad?

How old are you?

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    How old are you?
    Not 48.

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So I should feel bad?

OK let me simplify then:

Protein is 4 calories per gram. It does not matter what the source is, this does not change.
    Carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram. It does not matter what the source is, this does not change.
    Fats are 9 calories per gram. It does not matter what the source is, this does not change.

The mechanism for fat storage or for fat loss is based solely on energy balance. i.e. the amount of calories you take in vs the amount of calories you expend. This is the determinant factor in losing or gaining weight. When it comes to body composition, you should be hitting a daily minimum of 0.8g of protein per lb of body weight, and 0.4g of fat per lb of body weight. When it comes to general health, you should be ensuring that you're getting enough micronutrients and fibre. This basically boils down to "eat vegetables".

Foods that are considered "bad" or "junk" are typically the ones with low micronutrients (i.e. essential vitamins and minerals, typically foods which don't contain vegetables or minimally refined meat, fairy or grains) and high calorie density (i.e. a small amount contains a lot of calories) whilst not being satiating (not making you feel full). Essentially, you're not getting a very big "bang for your buck" when it comes to nutrient density vs calorie density vs satiety.

For those who struggle to gain weight, these foods are actually ideal to help boost caloric intake. You'll even quite often see us recommend eating cheeseburgers and ice cream to underweight guys trying to bulk up on here. When trying to lose weight, it's more practical to replace these foods with more nutrient dense, less calorie dense, more satiating options. That doesn't mean you can't fit these foods into your diet if you really want them. You don't need to be masochistic about your food choices.

Nothing about these foods is inherently "bad" or "unhealthy" because health is determined by one's overall diet. Eating a pizza or a burger isn't bad for your health. Getting fat is bad for your health. And getting fat is caused by consuming too many calories over a long period of time.

You see what we're trying to tell you here. There aren't really any acutely unhealthy foods. Eating excess calories and/or not enough of the right macro and micronutrients, chronically, is what will eventually lead to excessive fat gain and poor health.

So, whether an individual food choice is healthy or unhealthy is basically irrelevant, because it only matters in the context of your overall diet, and your goals.

I hope that's more clear.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

Originally Posted by TheGymJim View Post
    OK let me simplify then:

Protein is 4 calories per gram. It does not matter what the source is, this does not change.
    Carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram. It does not matter what the source is, this does not change.
    Fats are 9 calories per gram. It does not matter what the source is, this does not change.

The mechanism for fat storage or for fat loss is based solely on energy balance. i.e. the amount of calories you take in vs the amount of calories you expend. This is the determinant factor in losing or gaining weight. When it comes to body composition, you should be hitting a daily minimum of 0.8g of protein per lb of body weight, and 0.4g of fat per lb of body weight. When it comes to general health, you should be ensuring that you're getting enough micronutrients and fibre. This basically boils down to "eat vegetables".

Foods that are considered "bad" or "junk" are typically the ones with low micronutrients (i.e. essential vitamins and minerals, typically foods which don't contain vegetables or minimally refined meat, fairy or grains) and high calorie density (i.e. a small amount contains a lot of calories) whilst not being satiating (not making you feel full). Essentially, you're not getting a very big "bang for your buck" when it comes to nutrient density vs calorie density vs satiety.

For those who struggle to gain weight, these foods are actually ideal to help boost caloric intake. You'll even quite often see us recommend eating cheeseburgers and ice cream to underweight guys trying to bulk up on here. When trying to lose weight, it's more practical to replace these foods with more nutrient dense, less calorie dense, more satiating options. That doesn't mean you can't fit these foods into your diet if you really want them. You don't need to be masochistic about your food choices.

Nothing about these foods is inherently "bad" or "unhealthy" because health is determined by one's overall diet. Eating a pizza or a burger isn't bad for your health. Getting fat is bad for your health. And getting fat is caused by consuming too many calories over a long period of time.

You see what we're trying to tell you here. There aren't really any acutely unhealthy foods. Eating excess calories and/or not enough of the right macro and micronutrients, chronically, is what will eventually lead to excessive fat gain and poor health.

So, whether an individual food choice is healthy or unhealthy is basically irrelevant, because it only matters in the context of your overall diet, and your goals.

I hope that's more clear.
    Thank you for that concise answer. I got it now.

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you for that concise answer. I got it now.
    I don't think anyone has described my posts as "concise" before but I'm glad I could help lol
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't think anyone has described my posts as "concise" before but I'm glad I could help lol
    Thank you for your service. Just don’t have time to type all that out when I’m at work lol. On spread.
    Psych & handcuffs

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post

Fat is bad era
    Carbs are bad era

We're on the last one now, you can ignore the advice from previous eras. Often times they weren't totally wrong per se, just wildly exaggerated and too generalized.
    But we're also starting the 'fasting will make you immortal' era ;o)
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    But we're also starting the 'fasting will make you immortal' era ;o)
    I was looking online. this Youtuber named Kinobody has a boner for intermittent fasting

Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post

Fat is bad era
    Carbs are bad era

I wonder what the next era will be.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was looking online. this Youtuber named Kinobody has a boner for intermittent fasting
    Yup, he didn't even buy it dinner first.

Er, breakfast? Same difference... #samething
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Yup, he didn't even buy it dinner first.

Er, breakfast? Same difference... #samething
    I like AthleanX, Scott Hermen, and Elliot (his videos always start off as "Yo Elliot!)

I like AthleanX, Scott Hermen, and Elliot
    What about Low Carb Cory?

Man I miss that guy.

notsrs

I like AthleanX, Scott Hermen, and Elliot (his videos always start off as "Yo Elliot!)
    Disregard YouTube
    Acquire actual knowledge from experts through reading studies, journals, and podcasts
    Profit
    Psych & handcuffs

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Unhealthy foods? Sure, foods with hydrogenated oils (= industrial trans fats).

Also make sure your diet doesn't contain too much of known harmful substances like mercury, PCBs, acrylamide, arsenic etc. Reach your macro and micronutrient targets. Try to eat >500 gram of vegetables + fruit every day. Try to keep saturated fat intake below 10% of total calories, same for free sugars. That's about it.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    Thank you for your service. Just don’t have time to type all that out when I’m at work lol. On spread.
    Same for me. Tried to rep, TheGymJim, but on spread.

Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Guys the OP clearly isn't in the know and seems pretty open to learn.. why go through 3 pages of banter and sarcasm lol.. just tell the guy lol (I do get it though, it's the same thing over and over lol)

Anyways OP, clearly by now you should understand that your original understanding of nutrition is just wrong, just like most people. I would google the folks mentioned in post #7, #67 and others... also check out the stickies here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=136691851.

Cliff notes: overall calories on a daily, weekly, etc. basis matters most, while ensuring that the bulk of your daily diet comes from a variety of minimally processed foods, meeting adequate protein and fat needs, getting in veggies and fruits, while also enjoying less nutritious foods as you see fit as long as it fits your daily calorie and macro goals. I.E. moderation and common sense goes a long way.
    My Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120696121

Originally Posted by Slow-N-Steady View Post
    Guys the OP clearly isn't in the know and seems pretty open to learn.. why go through 3 pages of banter and sarcasm lol.. just tell the guy lol (I do get it though, it's the same thing over and over lol)

Anyways OP, clearly by now you should understand that your original understanding of nutrition is just wrong, just like most people. I would google the folks mentioned in post #7, #67 and others... also check out the stickies here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=136691851.

Cliff notes: overall calories on a daily, weekly, etc. basis matters most, while ensuring that the bulk of your daily diet comes from a variety of minimally processed foods, meeting adequate protein and fat needs, getting in veggies and fruits, while also enjoying less nutritious foods as you see fit as long as it fits your daily calorie and macro goals. I.E. moderation and common sense goes a long way.

Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lololol
    My Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120696121

Better is what separates us from the machines. I for one do not welcome our computer overlords.
    Psych & handcuffs

Trans fat contains 9 calories per gram

So does any other fat.

Pls explain how trans fat makes you fat.

Team cis fat only
    What about too much sat fat?

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What about too much sat fat?
    Too much saturated fat in surplus can cause more fat gain. Try to limit saturated fat to ~10% or so, especially when you're in surplus.