Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up Hey all, new member here looking for good inputs!

I finally managed to make a profile here, and was wondering about inputs on my workout and goals.

I have been working on and off for the last 13 years, but have trained little focused the last 3-4 years., I started again 4 months ago with the program I have felt worked best for me in the past, 3 split.

My plan was to get stronger again to reduce injuries as I have had shoulder problems and golf elbow in the past, aswell as gaining strenght.

I chose to eat well and train well and then cut later, as I have felt that I am alot more prone to injury if i do both at once. My starting weight was 225 lbs and im now 265. My height is 6'4 1/2 and I am 37 years old.

My current stats cold unflexed;
    Biceps 16.5 inch
    calves 19-20 inch
    Legs 28.5 inch.
    Chest 49 inch
    Shoulders 52 inch

Routine:
    Warm up:20-25 min of running 8-12 km h, or bicycle similar time with slme intervalls.
    Warm up weights:Normally 2-3 sets of ligher weights that is gradually increased with each set. Reps 18-14-12 reps, 2 min rest in between each rep.

Normally 3 different exercises of each muscle group. Reps from 6-12, i alternate some workouts.
    Day 1: Shoulders and biceps
    Day 2: legs and chest
    Day 3: back and triceps.

I also do some warm up exercise:
    single arm pulldowns 3 sets.
    Side rotation cable rotator, 3 sets.

Food:
    I have read that a safe amount of protein for a person my size would be around 2 g/lbs. I try to aim for 200-220 g protein, but some days i might get 130 g. Divided 3 to 5 meals a day.

Where I am now: Not sure about my current bodyfat, but I would guess from 20-30 somewhere. I feel i look better than when I was at 225 lbs.

My plan is to continue my training and try to reduce my weight when it would be smart to do so. I am unsure of when. To do so I would be more focused on clean eating and up my protein intake some, and be around neg 500 kCalories a day than maintanence until i reach a weight i think i look good at, I guess 9-13 bf is a good goal? Hopefully that might be around 190-225 lbs.

Any inputs on my setup? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Kjempeviking; 07-14-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added shoulder measurement.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    2g/lb sounds like a bit much. I don't know what "safe" means in this context, but you could cut that in half and do just fine. Muscle grows slowly, and pumping in protein beyond a certain threshold isn't going to speed it up any.

9-13% bodyfat is certainly achievable, but it will take time and consistency from where you're at. I'm trying to get down to 12, starting from 16, and for me that last per cent is like pulling teeth.

It will be interesting to follow your progress. Good luck, and keep us posted!
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjempeviking will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, and thank you for the welcome ElrondHubbard!

You got me right, with "safe" and what I really meant was "optimal or adequate"- but I know that it does not seem to be a clear answer to this question.

From what I have read the need for alot of protein would be higher for a person trying to build than for someone to maintain their build?

Very nice, and good luck to you too! I think it very hard to lean down when you are also working out, as it is taxing both mentally and physically. I used to be down to bf 9.5 % in my late 20s with a weight around 190ish lbs (85 kg). I felt too thin but it was achieved through mostly diet 2000 Kcaloriea and running with abot of weight lifting.

StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi, welcome.

Typically the amount of your LBM would be the base for your protein intake, not overall weight, in case you didn't mean that. From there, 1-2g per pound is anyone's guess/preference/need. I know advocates of everything, so who knows what really works. I myself like to tweak things to see how I react, and I can say that at least as I entered my 30s (currently 36) I've progressed greatly w/less protein intake. Could be a few factors, but I do think I was overdoing it before.
    Lifting. Hockey. Headbanging.

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175144571

Hey StinnerOzz, and thank for your input!

I now see that I wrote wrong in regards to protein intake. I meant 2 gram per kg (or roughly 1 per lbs). So for me that is around 265 gram of protein a day, or less if i go by lbm(which I do not know what is at the moment).

Hm, I had forgotten about that StinnerOzz, LBM might be more logical way to go by.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Kjempeviking View Post
    Hey StinnerOzz, and thank for your input!

I now see that I wrote wrong in regards to protein intake. I meant 2 gram per kg (or roughly 1 per lbs). So for me that is around 265 gram of protein a day, or less if i go by lbm(which I do not know what is at the moment).

Hm, I had forgotten about that StinnerOzz, LBM might be more logical way to go by.
    Yeah, that makes more sense. Most people get more protein than they really need. Bodybuilders need more than average, and the need increases with age, as the processing of it becomes less efficient. But the difference isn't really that drastic. If you're a normal omnivore, and not a vegetarian, then it's probably something you don't need to worry a whole lot about. I do take a scoop of whey protein in the morning with breakfast, that's an extra 18 g, and it's my one concession to having a bit extra.

I'm more concerned about micronutrients -- if you work out with much intensity, your body may be needing more of some of them than the average person. Again, I think you have lots of leeway on the basic proteins and fats, but make sure you get enough of those colorful vegetables for the vitamins and minerals.

As for the actual training advice, I'm not qualified to critique the details. Depending on your level of experience and ability, there are a number of pre-built novice and intermediate programs to choose from that simplify your planning process considerably. I'm running a variant of Madcow, which calls itself an intermediate program, but only because the weight progression is slower than something like Stronglifts. And that alone makes it better suited for geezers.

You might want to stick with your own, or you might benefit from one of the proven routines.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Oh, that was really interesting ElrondHubbard, I had not thought that age might increase the protein requierement, and that sound plausable.

I have kind of the same philosophy as you then, I really like food so it is hard for me to only eat the "optimal cleanfood" and like to add some raw protein. I guess i need to up my veggies again and cut the more processed carbs.

I see. I should read up on the different programs on this site, and see how I think they might fit me. I would think i have alot to gain with getting a more detailed program and goals. My current goals are blurry I must admit, which I guess is based on a combination of slack/dont want to fix anything that aint broken and more aware of injuries than before.

I never try max lifts or to lift very heavy, but rather higher sets to build up overall strength. Id rather take a slow progress program than fast and higher risk to injuries. I am more interested in building muscle than the strenght aspect- as it always follows. If there is a program which fit that I am sure il give it a go.