Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Carnivore

APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I'm a Carnivore

Hi Everyone,
    I have been a carnivore since 23rd April 2018

I used to compete in powerlifting and my best lifts were a 260kg squat (in 2.5m wraps), a 135kg bench press and a 282.5kg deadlift at 75kg body weight. I used steroids to achieve this. I did not set foot in the gym for 2 years after this to focus on my career and have now started to train again. I am doing this completely natural now, without any sort of PED, and with a carnivorous diet

I have started this log because I realise that it is not often someone goes 100% carnivorous and some people might want to see what happens.
    I am taking my training extremely cautiously at the moment and deliberately progressing slowly. I do not wish to hurt myself, especially as I am likely still fairly strong and pushing too hard too soon might cause injury. So - the weights I am using are very small. However they are going to increase quickly.

My diet day to day is 1-1.5kg of beef a day. This is usually ground beef, BBQ'd brisket or ribs, steaks of various kinds and beef liver. I sometimes eat chicken or fish but I get very hungry very quickly again if I don't eat beef or lamb.

For my training, I simply squat, bench, deadlift and press on different days of the week

shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I’m a lion rawr XD

sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been doing the same for about a week now. I noticed when I eat 1lb of chicken breast I am very hungry soon after. Unlike 1lb of red meat which leaves me feeling full over a longer period of time.

looking forward to seeing your daily meal plan and progress.

APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Overhead Press - 40kg for 12 reps - Nice personal best as last week was 37.5kg for 12 reps
    Dips - 5 sets
    Face Pulls - 8 sets
    Biceps curls - 6 sets
    French press - 5 sets
    Hammer curls - 5 sets
    Triceps pushdowns - 4 sets
    I am a carnivore (diet exclusively with meat). Here is my log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175963091

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    I've been doing the same for about a week now. I noticed when I eat 1lb of chicken breast I am very hungry soon after. Unlike 1lb of red meat which leaves me feeling full over a longer period of time.

looking forward to seeing your daily meal plan and progress.
    Vitamins for retards?

Squat - 5x110kg
    Paused Squat - 5x85kg

5 sets laying hamstrings curls
    7 sets leg press
    3 sets leg extensions
    6 sets calf raises

Bench Press - 52.5kg for 20 reps - previous bests were 50kg for 20 reps and 55kg for 16 reps, 57.5kg for 15 reps, so this feels like progress. As long as next workout I get more than 16 reps with 55kg I am happy
    Pin Press - singles with 60kg, 65kg, 70kg, 75kg (personal best), got 80kg off the pins but could not lock out

Dumbbell Bench - 5 sets
    Chest flies - 3 sets
    Biceps curls - 4 sets
    French Press - 3 sets
    Incline dumbbell curls - 3 sets - my new favourite curling exercise...
    Dumbbell skullcrushers - 2 sets

Friday:
    Deadlift 162.5kg for 8
    5 sets RDL
    7 sets lat pulldowns
    7 sets rows
    6 sets calves

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Interesting to see what kind of level you can get back to without the aid of anabolics. Obviously there will be muscle memory, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

What kind of programming did you follow at your best? How will you modify that to suit a training regime devoid of anabolics?

Originally Posted by Gwybodaeth View Post
    Interesting to see what kind of level you can get back to without the aid of anabolics. Obviously there will be muscle memory, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

What kind of programming did you follow at your best? How will you modify that to suit a training regime devoid of anabolics?
    I never followed any specific programming as what I needed from my programming always changed. I had a training philosophy though which was always:
    - Start too light
    - Increase volume over time
    - Increase frequency over time
    - Work on "weak points"

So I would always start training everything once a week, I would increase volume each week until I was not able to complete workouts, then I'd about halve the volume and then add another session. The end game of this was usually squatting twice a week, benching 5x a week, deadlifting once a week. If I felt that I needed to improve one specific aspect, then I'd increase the frequency to every day or every other day. For example one time my upper back was saving too much on deadlift when I got to knee level, so every day I would do small deficit deadlifts with a pause at mid shin then complete the lift

So doing this without the aid of anabolics, I don't think anything will change other than the destination. The training philosophy is still the same. I am training each lift once a week and just doing one set a week for these. When I can't progress on this then I will increase the volume. Maybe I will not be able to complete the same volume naturally but maybe I will. I'm also 2 or 3 years older than I was back then and a lot smarter and wiser. So it's anyone's guess

floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What was your reason for going carnivore and how long did it take your body to adjust to the diet. I have been on a carnivore diet for 7 days now and I want to know what I've got to look forward to

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by floridamancan View Post
    What was your reason for going carnivore and how long did it take your body to adjust to the diet. I have been on a carnivore diet for 7 days now and I want to know what I've got to look forward to
    Would would ANYone do this kind of diet is what I want to know. You are literally guaranteed to get scurvy after a while....

Even if you ate 3kg of steak a day, you're deficient in vitamins:

K
    Folate
    A
    C
    D
    E

Minerals:

Calcium
    Manganese
    Last edited by AdamWW; 07-22-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000) floridamancan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I get all that stuff from a multivitamin but I'm eating carnivore because I have ibs and plant foods just seem to make it worse

Overhead Press - 37.5kg for 15 reps. Two weeks ago I did the same weight for 12 reps so a great PB here.
    5 sets dips
    8 sets face pulls
    6 sets incline dumbbell curls
    5 sets french press
    5 sets hammer curls
    4 sets laying triceps extensions

I adjusted straight away

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Would would ANYone do this kind of diet is what I want to know. You are literally guaranteed to get scurvy after a while....

Even if you ate 3kg of steak a day, you're deficient in vitamins:

K
    Folate
    A
    C
    D
    E

Minerals:

Calcium
    Manganese
    That's just not true. What exactly are you basing this off? Vitamin C I can understand, however low carbohydrate diets don't need a lot of C as glucose/C both compete for insulin transport. Nobody gets enough Vitamin D from diet, you get it from going outside. The rest is plentiful in meat.

I get all that stuff from a multivitamin but I'm eating carnivore because I have ibs and plant foods just seem to make it worse
    Get rid of the multi. They don't do anything

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by APowell0 View Post
    I adjusted straight away

That's just not true. What exactly are you basing this off? Vitamin C I can understand, however low carbohydrate diets don't need a lot of C as glucose/C both compete for insulin transport. Nobody gets enough Vitamin D from diet, you get it from going outside. The rest is plentiful in meat.

Get rid of the multi. They don't do anything
    I based in on what vitamins and minerals are found in steak.

There is zero question about it... meat does not contain those nutrients in sufficient amounts, at least if we're talking about beef, which is what I used.

Even eating 3kg of steak won't get you even CLOSE to hitting minimum requirements for any of the above.

Check the USDA food site or cronometer.com if you think im wrong.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)

There is zero question about it... meat does not contain those nutrients in sufficient amounts, at least if we're talking about beef, which is what I used.

Even eating 3kg of steak won't get you even CLOSE to hitting minimum requirements for any of the above.

Adam, relax. Let silly people do their stupid things, the main thing is that they do not interfere with normal people

Just curious do you also follow the USDA recommendations on carbohydrate and protein intake?
    Why should I listen to what a department of agriculture thinks I should eat? My recent blood tests don't show that I'm deficient in anything

Just curious do you also follow the USDA recommendations on carbohydrate and protein intake?
    Why should I listen to what a department of agriculture thinks I should eat? My recent blood tests don't show that I'm deficient in anything
    You’ve been doing this for 3 months. It takes longer than 3 months to develop issues.

Also, I highly doubt you get tested for every possible vitamin, mineral, or other potentially lacking nutrient

You’ve been doing this for 3 months. It takes longer than 3 months to develop issues.

Also, I highly doubt you get tested for every possible vitamin, mineral, or other potentially lacking nutrient
    Incorrect. Water based vitamins will show symptoms of deficiency after a matter of weeks. I'm not going to be deficient in fat based vitamins as they are all contained within beef.
    Mineral deficiencies all have symptoms that present within a month. I have no symptom of mineral deficiency

http ://nutritiondata.self .com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4668/2
    http ://nutritiondata.self .com/facts/beef-products/6198/2

Looking fairly complete to me

Arms are now up to 14 inches and 3/8th. They started at 13 inches!

Squat - 3x117.5kg
    Lying leg curls - worked up to 2 sets to failure, resting at the bottom of each rep
    Leg press - Pyramid up with sets of 8 until I hit a weight where 8 was really hard
    Bulgarian split squat - 20. 15, 12 ramping the weight up, each set to failure
    Safety bar squat - 3x10 with a hard weight but not to failure
    Stiff legged deadlifts - 4x10 - Wanted to go to hamstrings failure but it was impossible as I couldn't flex my quads hard enough to keep my legs straight
    Calves on the leg press - 4 sets to failure with a 30 second stretch at the end of each set

Bench Press - 57.5kg for 17 reps. Last time I benched this weight it was 15 reps. The session before that was 55kg for 16 reps so I am very pleased with this
    Pin Press - Worked up to 80kg which is another personal best

Machine Chest Press - Worked up with 8s to failure
    Incline Bench - Worked up with 8s to failure
    Incline Chest Flies - 3 sets to failure
    Dips - 3 sets to failure
    Reverse Pec Deck - 4x20 ending the last set with partials
    Standing Dumbbell Side Laterals - 4x10
    Pushdowns on the dip machine - 6 sets to failure
    Standing Calve Raise - 4 sets to failure

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Incorrect. Water based vitamins will show symptoms of deficiency after a matter of weeks.
    Just wanted to clarify for you this isn't necessarily true. For example, folate (B9) deficiency can take months and B12 deficiency can take years to show symptoms.

What's your weight currently? Out of curiosity, could you post your working weight for at least the heaviest sets one time with your accessory lifts?

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Just wanted to clarify for you this isn't necessarily true. For example, folate (B9) deficiency can take months and B12 deficiency can take years to show symptoms.

What's your weight currently? Out of curiosity, could you post your working weight for at least the heaviest sets one time with your accessory lifts?
    Absolutely can start doing that. Just so you can see how the progress is tracking. I was 71kg this morning. Up from 63kg. I will post pictures of my progress at the beginning of next month. It is quite considerable progress and I look very different

Deadlift - 170kg for 3
    Neutral grip pulldowns - 8 sets (60-70kg)
    Low rows - 5 sets (40-50kg)
    Kettlebell rows - 4 sets (16kg)
    T-bar rows - 4 sets (45kg)
    Dumbbell Pullovers - 2 sets

Overhead Press - 40kg for 13 reps. 1 more rep than last time I did this weight

EZ bar curls - 5 sets of 10 with 10 second rest between sets (5kg plate either side)
    Hammer curls - 5 sets of 10 with 10 second rest between sets (7kg dumbbells)
    EZ bar preacher curls - 4 sets of 8 (10kg plate either side)

Pushdowns on the assisted dip machine - 4 sets to failure from 12-6 reps pyramiding up
    Incline behind the head extensions - 4 sets of 10, ez bar with 5kg plate either side
    Rope pushdowns - 4 sets of 8 to failure

Squat 122.5kg for 4 reps.
    I'm a little upset with the slow progress of my squats. Perhaps I need to be training them harder. My best squat without wraps is 220kg. I should be thankful that they are getting better though

Adductor machine: 4 sets of 10
    Glute kickback machine: 4 sets of 10
    Safety bar squats: Pyramid up with sets of 8 to 85kg
    Leg Press: Pyramid up with sets of 8 to 4 plates a side, then did 4 plates again with a drop set of 3 plates then 2 plates
    Leg extensions: 3 sets to failure
    Leg curls: 3 sets to failure

Hit legs again for the second day in a row

Lying leg curls 6 sets
    Squats sets of 6 up to 90kg
    Leg extensions 4 sets of 20

I meant to comment here...

When you say "plant foods", do you mean starches?

I find it hard to believe you attempted an elimination diet for ALL non-meat energy sources...

Also, were you formally diagnosed, or are you just guessing?

It just sounds way, way too extreme to just remove EVERYTHING but meat because you have digestive issues... what about just taking out bread/grains? FODMAPS? High-fiber veg? Certain fruits? etc?