Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How many seconds between each deadlift rep are okay?

During a set I take quite long time between each rep, it's like 8-10s. Is that too much / does it make the set too easy? I simply get problems with the breathing otherwise. I hold my breath, but also need to take 1 breath at the top, otherwise the time before a next set would be even longer.

When I do deadlifts, I do 1 set of 5 (Starting Strength).

Thanks for your help!

Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Taking 4ish or slightly longer makes the set harder for me since the stretch reflex is usually gone by then. I try to take at most 1 second. Sometimes the last rep of set, I'll take 2-4 to catch my breath.

Sounds like you need to increase your lung capacity if you need 10 seconds to breath after 1 rep. Waiting 10 minutes between sets is one thing, but waiting 10 seconds between reps during a set sounds awful. A 10 rep set would take almost 2 minutes.
    Most of my lifting gets posted to Instagram - https://instagram.com/fayerjw/

Best lifts 628/391/727 - Best Total: 1747

NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks! Wow, 1s sounds impossible to me. I already need like 2s to reset my hook grip, set my back and take a deep breath.

It might be an issue with my lung capacity. For squats holding the breath is also one of the hardest parts, but the breaks in between are not that extreme. I used to smoke a lot, until I stopped 2-3 months ago. Already got much better since then. Can you recommend anything to increase lung capacity? Just plain cardio or sprints?

APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) APowell0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As long as you're progressing in weight it does not matter. Just progress nicely
    I am a carnivore (diet exclusively with meat). Here is my log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175963091

Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NoGainNoPainBro View Post
    Thanks! Wow, 1s sounds impossible to me. I already need like 2s to reset my hook grip, set my back and take a deep breath.

It might be an issue with my lung capacity. For squats holding the breath is also one of the hardest parts, but the breaks in between are not that extreme. I used to smoke a lot, until I stopped 2-3 months ago. Already got much better since then. Can you recommend anything to increase lung capacity? Just plain cardio or sprints?
    Just do some light cardio or sprints every other day or so. Either will help, do what is more enjoyable since its more likely you will stick with it.
    Most of my lifting gets posted to Instagram - https://instagram.com/fayerjw/

Best lifts 628/391/727 - Best Total: 1747

shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NoGainNoPainBro View Post
    During a set I take quite long time between each rep, it's like 8-10s. Is that too much / does it make the set too easy? I simply get problems with the breathing otherwise. I hold my breath, but also need to take 1 breath at the top, otherwise the time before a next set would be even longer.

When I do deadlifts, I do 1 set of 5 (Starting Strength).

Thanks for your help!
    Why would resetting be an issue? If it takes your 8 seconds to reset, your making sure your form is good, that you are maintaining stability in your abs, and developing strength off the ground due to a lack of stretch reflex and momentum
    Max/goal
    Paused bench 305/325
    Squats 410/415
    Deadlift 495/500
    Overhead BB press 185/225

Originally Posted by Rags85 View Post
    Taking 4ish or slightly longer makes the set harder for me since the stretch reflex is usually gone by then. I try to take at most 1 second. Sometimes the last rep of set, I'll take 2-4 to catch my breath.
    This was spot on. forced myself today to do shorter breaks and it helped a lot. had a PR that i didn't thought I'd make. was less exhausting in total and helped mentally to not freak out between reps. felt quite dizzy afterwards though.