Jcorb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jcorb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jcorb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jcorb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jcorb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Have any of you ever encountered someone who has some kind of weight-loss surgery?

So, I'm 280 lbs, and I'm SUPER self-conscious. I've been working out 5 days a week for the past few months, but I struggle with my diet.

Part of me is considering having some kind of "work" done, like liposuction. Or, I've also heard of those "bands" or whatever they put on your stomach, to cut down on your appetite or something like that?

Anyways, I'm meeting with a doctor next week, just to discuss some possibilities. My intention is *NOT* to just "have all the fat sucked out", because I know that would be a recipe for disaster. Rather, what I AM considering, is some kind of procedure that might make it easier for me to get on a healthier diet, or have *some* weight taken off, so I feel a little less self-conscious, enough to maybe start being more active in general.

I'm posting here and asking you guys, because I'm curious if you've ever encountered people with similar experiences to mine, and if they seemed any more -- or less -- motivated to get in shape, than say someone who just is overweight?

As much as I want to feel better about myself, I also want to avoid putting myself in a position where I'm setting myself up for further failure or anything like that.

Much appreciated for any responses!

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    In Australia before this kind of surgery is done, responsible doctors require that the person lose a certain amount of bodyweight in the next 12 months, the reasoning being that the risks of surgery are only worth it if the person will be able to maintain what the surgery has taken off. The bands physically reduce the size of your stomach so it can't fit as much food in - but people have done things like put Mars bars in a blender. So unless the person can change their food and exercise habits, the surgery does nothing for them, it's all risk and no benefit.

Anything past that is a medical question.

You said,

"I'm SUPER self-conscious. I've been working out 5 days a week for the past few months, but I struggle with my diet."

Self-consciousness affects whether people can go to the gym, and what they do there, but it doesn't affect what the person eats, unless you're talking about your friends and family commenting on your food, "come on, have another bucket of KFC, you deserve it." Food is a big part of culture, and also of family culture. If you're accustomed to large portions of high-calorie low-nutrient food with your family and friends, it's as hard to change to low-calorie high-nutrient food as it would be for a typical Westerner to eat kosher, or something.

In studies they will typically define "successful weight loss" as "lost at least 10% of their bodyweight and kept it off for three years." The success rate for obese (BMI 30+) people working out on their own and trying to change their diet is quiet low, it's well under 10%. It rises to as much as 50% when the person has 1. community and 2. professional help.

The community part is culture, as I mentioned - it's simply that as well as the culture of your family, you get the culture of the Weightwatchers group, or whatever you choose. This doesn't mean getting rid of your family and friends, it means adding people to your life, expanding your social circle. Basically, you eat like the people around you. So you get some different people around you and you'll eat differently.

The professional help means a doctor, a trainer, a nutritionist or dietician, a psychologist and so on. The most successful people tend to have a lot of people helping them. A psychologist is often key. With my clients, I know that the first thing they told me is the most important thing to them - whatever else they say after that. The first thing you said after your weight is that you're self-conscious. That's a psychological issue, so that may be a service you should look for.

katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Not a PT, just an old lady that has encountered multiple people that have had some type of weight loss surgery (or people with family that have had it).

There is a minimum BMI usually for health insurance to cover WLS. Sometimes if you have other health issues you can have it with a lower BMI than the standard.

I would suggest avoiding the band. Yes, it seems like a less risky/less permanent choice. Go and read about the effectiveness and complications.

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: the stomach size is much smaller, but you still have the normal open/close valve

VSG is pretty effective, less side effects than the other two choice, but also not as high of an average weight loss.

RNY: oldest type I think, the stomach is made into a little pouch, you lose the open/close valve which may be what causes dumping, and they also bypass part of the intestine aka gastric bypass surgery

RNY used to be the gold standard. Last I read there were issues with this surgery mainly to do with no having that open/close valve in the stomach post surgery and with the pouch stretching out I think.

Duodenal Switch: they make the same smaller stomach as in VSG and they also remove or bypass part of the intestine

DS is the "strongest" surgery with the largest weight loss, but also most ongoing issues with food tolerances and needing to watch nutrition/vitamins very closely, as in having regular blood tests.

Some people do well with surgery and some don't. It isn't magic - you still have to put in the work. I've seen some people that take it off and keep it off, some that don't really seem to lose that much, and some that lose a good bit, but then put it all back. As was said above people that are determined will find a way to eat around the surgery.

I don't think lipo is likely to help unless you are a quite tall and broad man at your current weight.
    INTP Crew
    Inattentive ADD Crew
    Mom That Miscs Crew

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Surgery is generally safe;fitness is a lifestyle

Originally Posted by Jcorb View Post
    So, I'm 280 lbs, and I'm SUPER self-conscious. I've been working out 5 days a week for the past few months, but I struggle with my diet.

Part of me is considering having some kind of "work" done, like liposuction. Or, I've also heard of those "bands" or whatever they put on your stomach, to cut down on your appetite or something like that?

Anyways, I'm meeting with a doctor next week, just to discuss some possibilities. My intention is *NOT* to just "have all the fat sucked out", because I know that would be a recipe for disaster. Rather, what I AM considering, is some kind of procedure that might make it easier for me to get on a healthier diet, or have *some* weight taken off, so I feel a little less self-conscious, enough to maybe start being more active in general.

I'm posting here and asking you guys, because I'm curious if you've ever encountered people with similar experiences to mine, and if they seemed any more -- or less -- motivated to get in shape, than say someone who just is overweight?

As much as I want to feel better about myself, I also want to avoid putting myself in a position where I'm setting myself up for further failure or anything like that.

Much appreciated for any responses!
    I have not DIRECTLY depending on how you look at it. I was a personal trainer assistant under another personal trainer at a private personal training studio. The surgery will work. However, exercise and nutrition are undoubtedly the most important factors foe weight loss in a healthy way. A lot of what Kyle wrote is how it is done in the USA. I did see it happen to an Uncle however it was when I was much much younger.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class