grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Pics of you…Everyone else’s pics (keeping it real)

I came across this video today and thought I would share, because it was kinda fun.

About a month back, another poster on this forum (in a thread about lack of abs, and comparing himself to others) commented that he wanted to be in the same condition I was (on my avi, and photos in my gallery). That was a compliment for sure, but I felt it was only honest to point out (as I have before) that I only post pictures where I look good…don’t we all?

I have places in my gym where the light hits me just right, I’m usually pumped from working out, and I know the poses and little tricks to make me look better (like twisting my waist to make my shoulder waist ration look more aesthetic).

There was still a little bit of doubt on his part, so I went downstairs, took off my shirt, and snapped a picture of me un-pumped, un-flexed, not in the best lighting, and just head on standing there to show the difference between what even a normal guy like me looks like on a daily basis compared to the best of the best pics I post. Now imagine the difference between that and someone who is in much greater shape than me, and has professional photographers and photoshoppers altering pics.

I think he got some comfort from this knowing that most people don’t run around with abs rippling 24/7…the same way I got some comfort when ID posted an unflattering pic over on the misc.

I took the picture down after he saw it…but here it is, just to jive with the video. If it helps 1 person out there with an unrealistic body image have a healthier outlook…mission accomplished! If anyone else wants to share normal un-posed pics on this thread feel free…it would be awesome.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Rabbitjb View Post
    Av is similar quality shot of me this week at start of a cut ...thought it might help me stick to it
    Glad to see you put an Avi on again...helps me to know who's posting at a glance...definitely NOT an unflattering pic, ha ha. Good luck with the cut!

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Grub,

I am not sure if you meant this one. My wife was making fun of me and texted that to her sis. (I had jacked up my shorts becasue I was laying out and just got out of pool).

After seeing it, I decided to drop weight. Amazing what a drop in carb bloat will do. I posted a pic after 2 weeks of pulling in food and I look completely different. Even day to day skinfold can change with water balance.

It is why I prefer to take progress vids. There is no good and bad pics. You see yourself the way you really are. It is not hard to imagine that some fitness social media types take 100's of pics only to pick the best, and most flattering...
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Grub,

I am not sure if you meant this one.
    Yep, that’s the one. I found it inspiring and honest. We are all real people (from the biggest to the smallest, famous to unknown) and I think it’s nice to know everyone else isn’t awesome all the time.

Despite knowing better, I’m pretty sure everyone compares them self to some ideal, and other people who have achieved it...but this whole “bodybuilding” thing has a certain level of illusion, and it’s healthy for people to know it’s there.

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Yep, that’s the one. I found it inspiring and honest. We are all real people (from the biggest to the smallest, famous to unknown) and I think it’s nice to know everyone else isn’t awesome all the time.

Despite knowing better, I’m pretty sure everyone compares them self to some ideal, and other people who have achieved it...but this whole “bodybuilding” thing has a certain level of illusion, and it’s healthy for people to know it’s there.
    Yep.... One thing I realized is the same thing about many of the idols from the golden age. Most of the images I have of them ingrained in my head were images that were professionally taken in perfect lighting...etc.

Contrast that to watching say Arnold in Conan, while he still looks awesome......he is not always 'perfect'. And that is still something that is produced as a visual product showcasing the stars at their bests.

I know bodybuilders who compete, and in person they often look much less impressive than in their pictures from show day. Lighting, timing, posing.....

If you ever go on photographers sites where they cover shows and shoot 100's of pics. They post them all so people can buy them. People will then go through the many pics to find the ones that they look best in. It is a great illustration of how different we all can look depending on the snap of a shutter.

Again....it is why for me, I now mostly use a quick video to assess where I am.
    RAW lifts

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I saw a video a few weeks ago about bodybuilders going into competition and quite a few of them had make up artists highlighting their muscles. It had never occured to me before that that happened.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    I saw a video a few weeks ago about bodybuilders going into competition and quite a few of them had make up artists highlighting their muscles. It had never occured to me before that that happened.
    Really? I never heard of that either. I mean, we all know they have spray tan and oil...

Don't suppose you have a link to the vid?

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Really? I never heard of that either. I mean, we all know they have spray tan and oil...

Don't suppose you have a link to the vid?
    I don't, but I'll try Youtubes 'watch history'.

I can't find it. I guess it's possible that it wasn't a youtube video.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Here's a pic of Gerard Butler during the filming of 300. I heard his abs were added later via CGI, and by the looks of this pic, that's the only plausible answer

Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    Here's a pic of Gerard Butler during the filming of 300. I heard his abs were added later via CGI, and by the looks of this pic, that's the only plausible answer
    100%. And the silly thing is, it was immediately noticeable, they were going into the battle with bare bellies showing their abs. Like really?

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    It is not hard to imagine that some fitness social media types take 100's of pics only to pick the best, and most flattering...
    And sadly then break out Photoshop for 3 hours to enhance the shots. Bit more here, tad less there, and let's shade this area a bit.

Like you suggest a quick video with a few turns shows so much, especially for men prone to add more fat to the back and love handles. You just can't hide from video.

My friend is a professional photographer and has been for years. She's really very talented and has taken some great pics for my kids graduations for us just because her son played sports with mine. She jokes it's not the taking the pictures, but the efficiency sifting through hundreds to find a few of the best candidates and then photoshopping them that makes her a professional.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    And sadly then break out Photoshop for 3 hours to enhance the shots. Bit more here, tad less there, and let's shade this area a bit.

Like you suggest a quick video with a few turns shows so much, especially for men prone to add more fat to the back and love handles. You just can't hide from video.

My friend is a professional photographer and has been for years. She's really very talented and has taken some great pics for my kids graduations for us just because her son played sports with mine. She jokes it's not the taking the pictures, but the efficiency sifting through hundreds to find a few of the best candidates and then photoshopping them that makes her a professional.
    Yep....take 100 pics and one is bound to look good!

With my own use of pics for keeping track of progress, that same thing used to mess with my head. I then discovered videos gave a much more complete picture. You could see the muscles, and the Dynamics when they flex and move. You get a much better idea of true density and thickness. One good pic with good shading my make you look thick, but only a slight turn and that goes away. In vids...there is nowhere to hide your flaws. For me this allows me to evaluate myself much more objectively.

Grub encouraged me to ditch the tank top(it was kind of my security blanket ). But we all are our own worst critics. Funny thing about shooting a more revealing vid with less to hide behind, I actually feel I look a little better than I see myself in my mind. I can also see more clearly what areas are my weak points..

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1555604421
    RAW lifts

YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Ask any cinematographer or photographer and they'll tell you than front on light makes everyone look terrible.

tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'll play, here is mine, i suck at taking good pics, in my house anyway, its an old house with poor lighting so its hard for me to "Dr. up" my pics really or take advantage of good light. I am squeezing my abs a bit in this pic but everything else is just unflexed. (I also have lost a few pounds recently, in a minor cut for summer and vaca.)

https://imgur.com/a/893VdJ4
    Last edited by tommydamic68; 07-10-2018 at 03:22 AM.
    "Once you see results, it becomes an addiction."

Originally Posted by tommydamic68 View Post
    I'll play
    Well, if you’re gonna “play”, you have to play by the rules. I think you’ve totally missed the point of the thread.

I dunno, I saw some vids of these guys training (they had a sort of “boot camp” to get in top shape for the movie), they all looked pretty darn fit, even with no camera tricks.

They did say they used makeup to enhance the muscles (which is apparent by the pic you provided), but you can definately see his abs, even un-flexed in that pic. I don’t think many people have a defined 6-pack when not flexing...but I don’t think it wouldn’t be hard to get a bunch of fit guys to flex and walk for a few minutes of vid.

I’m not saying there weren’t camera tricks, makeup, lighting, and probably some cgi in select scenes...but I tend to think the guys were in great shape overall (I mean, look at Jeff Cavalier...he always looks great from every angle in his vids, and many of those are uncut, unedited, and 15 minutes long+).

The CGI abs thing is probably an internet myth started by some fat kid sitting at a computer with cheese doodle powder on his fingers.

d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I saw that vid in the OP. Good stuff. So much fake news out there and people don't realize it.
    I've only been at this for 6 months but here's mine.
    Avatar vs this taken at the beach a couple weeks ago. Cropped my kids out.
    Being outside at noon the light is still contrasty but it's kinda behind me a bit.

-dennis
    my "GYM IN A SHED" build thread
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175140521

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You are so right Grubman. There have been times when I've thought, hmm I don't look as bad as think I do but in the vast majority of light I'm beaten by the reality stick lol.

Just took these to show what I think proves your point very well though. First one is upstairs bathroom where light is directly overhead and also I'm fully relaxing. Downstairs bathroom has a dimmer light and is above the mirror rather than above me. Plus I'm sort of flexing or at least sucking it in. Which one do you think I'd normally post