Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    AwakeDreaming has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A girl's gotta lose weight! - Progress log

About me
    Hello there! I'm a 23 years old girl from Europe and I decided to create my own fat loss log in an attempt to keep track of my progress (or lack thereof) and to hold myself somehow accountable.

I have always been on the chubby side since I was a child, and that despite being very active at the time (playing sports competitively, long training sessions most days of the week). My alimentation was just too unhealthy for me to be at a normal weight despite all the exercises.

However, when I was 13-14, my weight started to really bother me and so I went on a diet. It was pretty successful and I managed to reach a healthy weight. However, I was never satisfied and started to eat less and less - I ended up with an eating disorder and even though I was thin, I just couldn't see it or be happy with myself. Now when I look at the pictures of that time, I realise how stupid I was.

When I turned 18, I started University and my life changed once again. With the pressure to perform well and the freedom from being away from home, I started to overeat again and I slowly put on weight. Of course I noticed it, but I also made excuses, saying things like "it's only a few kilograms, I can lose it after the exams". And that's how I ended up where I am today - once again overweight and unhappy with myself. Still, I am determined to transform my lifestyle in order to lose weight and get a body I will be happy with; and in a healthy way so that I can avoid gaining a new eating disorder.

Starting point & goals
    Height: 162cm (5'3)
    Starting weight: 70.0kg (154 lbs)
    Goal weight: 50-54kg (110-119 lbs)
    Long-term: gain some muscle and reducing my bodyfat to look toned

I'm currently in the process of moving back home after finishing an exchange year abroad, so I will only start working out/dieting in a few days, but this is what I am planning to do. In terms of exercise, I will get myself a gym membership and will slowly increase the amount of training to reach 5-6 days a week (3 days split weight training and 2 days of cardio? - I need to find a routine that will keep me motivated). I am planning to do sessions of 1h15-1h30 for weight training, and 1h for cardio.

In terms of diet, I am aiming for 1200-1300 calories a day with at least 135g of proteins (this is gonna be hard, I mainly eat carbs). This amount might seem low but I am not really tall and except for the fact that I make sure to get at least 10'000 steps a day (+the gym once I start), I am pretty much sedentary. Also, I tend to put on weight extremely easily. I might adapt the calories if I see that I lose weight too quickly/once I put on some muscle (I have almost none due to being a couch potato for the past few years).

So yeah, here we go! I'll try to update often and report both successes and failures! Let me know if you have any comments or advices

Cheers!
    Last edited by AwakeDreaming; 07-04-2018 at 01:43 AM.

Day 1

Today was a fairly good day. I went to trial session at a friend's gym - we exercised for about 1h20 and it was nice. I'm still not sure whether I'm going to join his gym or another one. The thing is, the other gym is better equipped (swimming pool included) and there are more coaches, which makes me like it more. However, my going to my friend's gym would make it easier for me motivation-wise :/
    I need to decide where to get a membership by tomorrow since I gotta train again. Well, we'll see.

With regards to the diet, it went pretty well. I ate healthy food mostly, with a few pieces of chocolate (I don't want to cut it out because this is a lifestyle change, not a diet). I don't have an exact calorie count because I didn't finish unboxing my stuff and my kitchen scale is still in one of the boxes. I'll track calories accurately once I get it back!

Anyways, let's hope I can stay motivated and successful in my weight loss journey.

Hockeyhippo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You've started off right!

Which gym do you think will be easier for you to work into your daily routine?

Originally Posted by Hockeyhippo View Post
    You've started off right!

Which gym do you think will be easier for you to work into your daily routine?
    Heya Hockeyhippo

For the next 6-12 months, my daily routine will be pretty flexible - I just have to write my master's thesis at home. Both gyms are a 20-25 minutes walk from my place, so they are both equally convenient and could easily fit my routine I guess. I never thought it would be that hard to chose a gym haha. Oh well, I'll let you know which one I chose tonight - gotta make a decision soon if I want to exercise today, anyways!

Have a nice day you all

Day 2

Today, I ended up getting a gym membership which allows me to go to different gyms in the city. This way, I can go to my preferred gym when I am training alone, but also to my friend's gym to exercise with him from time to time! A bit pricey but worth it if it keeps me motivated throughout my journey

Training-wise, I did a back & biceps session today for about 1h20. It felt good but I'm pretty tired now and a bit sore from yesterday's session. Also, I still need to decide on a specific training programme that I can follow for the next few months - will do it in the next coupe days!

Food-wise, I ate 724 kcal before 18h and then I went out for diner with a few friends. I had a crepe with ham, mozzarella and veggies. I don't have the number of calories for that, but it shouldn't be the worse meal ever. Eating out is always hard for me - in most case there isn't really healthy options (except for the salad but, well, who wants a salad?), but I also cannot sacrifice my social life. Eating out this Friday again, let's see how it goes.

This was a fairly good second day I guess. G'night.

Day 3

Urghhh, I was so sore today - paying the price of ignoring sports for the past couple months is hard. Still, I went to the gym for a cardio session - 1 hour on the elliptical bike. Tomorrow will be a rest day since I can feel that my body is tired + I'll hang out with some friends I haven't seen for a while!

Food-wise, I ate a total of 1279 kcal today (113g glucides, 40g fat, 91g proteins). I find it really difficult to eat a lot of proteins even though I am still far away from my goal of 135g/day. I'll try to eat around 90g of proteins a day for now, and will change my breakfast/snacks if it doesn't work.

GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AwakeDreaming View Post
    Day 3

I find it really difficult to eat a lot of proteins even though I am still far away from my goal of 135g/day.
    Eat some chicken or buy some protein powder.
    What did the water say to the boat?

Nothing, it just waved. :)

Originally Posted by GirthRogers View Post
    Eat some chicken or buy some protein powder.
    I do eat about 120-150g of chicken (or other types of meat/fish) for both lunch and dinner, but eating chicken as a snack is kinda...not so attractive to me. I'll try to find snacks with more proteins I can actually enjoy though.
    With regards to protein powder, I'd rather do without it at least for now - I'd rather not drink my calories, and I cannot really see myself drinking a shaker per day for an extended period of time.

Hockeyhippo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm going through the same sort of soreness at the moment too, hope it gets better for you. Your protein goal of 135g is really high without shakes. I'm getting around 120g of protein in my diet but I'm eating 1850 calories. Lots of eggs and chicken!! Haha good luck!

Originally Posted by Hockeyhippo View Post
    I'm going through the same sort of soreness at the moment too, hope it gets better for you. Your protein goal of 135g is really high without shakes. I'm getting around 120g of protein in my diet but I'm eating 1850 calories. Lots of eggs and chicken!! Haha good luck!
    I'm sure it will get better once we get used to it! Yeah, I realised 135g might be too high, I'll probably aim for around 100g for now. Truth is, all my snacks are pretty much carb-based so I could increase it, but getting eggs or chicken as a snack is just meh.

Good luck with your football week-end!

Day 4

Rest day today. I met with a friend in the afternoon and we went for a fairly long walk in the city (12k steps). In the evening, we met with other friends for dinner. I ate pretty much on point until then, but I wasn't home for dinner so less control. It wasn't a dramatic binge, but it's fair to assume that I am over my calories target for the day :/

Day 5

The day of rest allowed me to be in top shape again - no soreness or fatigue - so I went back to the gym for a legs & shoulder session - this is probably the workout I like the least so far since it's the longest and most "painful" one. Hopefully it will get better over time. Also, I'll try to post my workout plans (exercises/sets/reps) next week and stick to it (I'm still in the process of deciding on what exactly to do).

Food-wise, it was an ok day - I ate a bit more than I wanted, around 1500 kcal. I get tempted by snacks way too easily when I am at home...but oh well, I moved a lot too and the total number of calories is not horribly high so it's not so bad.

Day 6

Went to the gym for a chest & triceps session today (1h15) - it was good and I didn't feel as tired as I expected afterwards. Tomorrow will be a forced rest day - I'm going to be busy the whole day. I'll try to stay on point with regards to the diet though.

Food-wise, it was a good day - I had 1350 kcal (90g proteins).

Day 7

Pretty inactive today - I was super busy and really didn't have the time to hit the gym or even walk around a lot (I had to accompany a friend for a "day-trip" - basically spent 8 hours in the car). Food-wise, it was not the best day either since we ate on the road.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Week 1 - Recap

Starting weight: 70.0 kg
    Current weight: 69.1 kg (-0.9)

So this concludes the first week of my journey. Fitness-wise, it was a good week - I was pretty active and managed to hit the gym 5 times (4x weight training; 1 cardio session). Food-wise, it was better than my old lifestyle but definitively not perfect yet. With 1 day without a kitchen scale and 3 days of eating out, I didn't eat as healthily as I wanted. Also, it is still very difficult for me not to crave sweet things and I tend to snack on bad options.

Overall, I am happy to still see a 0.9kg (almost 2 lbs) weight loss even though it might seem really small for some of you. Hopefully, I'll manage to stay as active next week, while reducing the amount of unhealthy snacks and staying more on track diet-wise.

Have a nice week!

Day 8

Back to the gym today for a back & biceps session (1h10) - back exercises actually "hurt" quite a bit but I felt good afterwards. I'll go to the gym tomorrow as well, probably for a cardio session. Food-wise, it was fine - I had 1396 kcal, which is slightly higher than I wanted but still ok seeing the amount of exercise.

Still dying from the heat though!

Day 9

Went to the gym for a cardio session today - 1 hour of rolling hills on the elliptical bike. It felt pretty good. I'll try to do a few abs exercises after my cardio session next time. Food-wise, I ate too much because my dad bought a cake and it just looked so damn tempting. I'm a bit over 1500 kcal today, which is more than I wished but should still be below maintenance. I really need to find a way to stop snacking, but it's so hard when your house is full of sweet/savoury treats :/

Let's stay positive though! I can't change everything overnight, and so far I'm hitting the gym a lot so it's already one good step forward!

Day 10

I kinda lacked the motivation to exercise today for no reason, but I still ended up going to the gym for a legs & shoulders session (1h30). It was a good session and I'm glad I went, not sure why my motivation was down though. Tomorrow I'm still hesitating between doing a rest day or going to the gym with a friend...we'll see

Food-wise, I ended up eating 1461 kcal with chocolate cake as a dinner. In terms of calories, it's not a bad day, but the content of my meals today wasn't the healthiest options ever except for lunch. Anyways, I'm still a long way from a super healthy diet - a girl needs her sweets.

Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I recommend buying sugar free gum as I'm in a pretty similar situation (my GF stocks up on sweet stuff) and it helps any cravings I might have.

Obviously the best advice is to try and avoid sweets altogether (barring the odd cheat day) as it really affects the quality of the macros you consume. It's already been suggested but I recommend protein powder and then you can atleast make a healthier high protein snack yourself (protein brownie/cookies etc).

Alternatively, you can use it to make protein pancakes and then buy some sugar free chocolate/syrup sauce for a meal. I use the brand Sweet Freedom which is available in a few UK supermarkets so I'm sure they have other stocks in Europe.

Originally Posted by Bees187 View Post
    I recommend buying sugar free gum as I'm in a pretty similar situation (my GF stocks up on sweet stuff) and it helps any cravings I might have.

Obviously the best advice is to try and avoid sweets altogether (barring the odd cheat day) as it really affects the quality of the macros you consume. It's already been suggested but I recommend protein powder and then you can atleast make a healthier high protein snack yourself (protein brownie/cookies etc).

Alternatively, you can use it to make protein pancakes and then buy some sugar free chocolate/syrup sauce for a meal. I use the brand Sweet Freedom which is available in a few UK supermarkets so I'm sure they have other stocks in Europe.
    Thanks for the advices! I'll try sugar free gums for the next few days, but I'm a bit worried it will get me bloated because of the air swallowed?

Cutting out sweets altogether is a no go for me. It tends to trigger binges, and I also don't want to completely eliminate something from my diet since it's more of a lifestyle change. With regards to protein powder, drinking it is a no go - just feels gross and not satisfying in any way. I'll give baking with protein powder a try though. I'm a bit skeptical about the taste but hopefully it will surprise me!

I'll pass on the pancakes, I'm not a fan. Also, I don't snack on huge amounts, it's more like 20-30g of chocolate/sweets a few times a day.

Day 11

Today was a rest day, so I just went out for a walk in order to get my 10'000 steps. Other than that, I spent most of the day chilling at home. Food-wise, I had 1264 kcal and didn't snack as much as usual. A friend also came by and we tried baking brownies with protein powder instead of chocolate. The result is not bad but it's nowhere as nearly satisfying as the real thing :/

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Day 11

Today was a rest day, so I just went out for a walk in order to get my 10'000 steps. Other than that, I spent most of the day chilling at home. Food-wise, I had 1264 kcal and didn't snack as much as usual. A friend also came by and we tried baking brownies with protein powder instead of chocolate. The result is not bad but it's nowhere as nearly satisfying as the real thing :/
    Yeah. I've found any attempt on brownies to never reach the glory of a regular brownie. Diet, protein, other... They can be okay but just not as good as a delicious regular chocolate brownie.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Day 12

Today was a really active day for me. I went to the gym with two friends for a chest & triceps session (1h20) and also did a super long walk. I'm happy I'm able to hit the gym pretty often so far

Food-wise, I think that I had around 1300 kcal today. I say "think" because I only tracked calories up until late afternoon - I had dinner with friends so I couldn't track, but we had a homemade sandwich (no mayo) and fruits, which I estimate would be around 700 kcal in total.

I didn't crave any sweets today. I guess it doesn't really happen when I am busy all day. Pretty sure it will be back tomorrow though.

Day 13

Today ended up being a forced rest day. I didn't know that the gym was closing earlier today due to an event and so when I went there, it was about to close...

Food-wise, I ended up only eating about 800 kcal because I was so bloatted since morning, which made me feel really uncomfortable. Hopefully the bloat will be gone tomorrow.

Day 14

Today was such a long day. I spent 8 hours on the train for a meeting and, hence, didn't have the time to go to the gym :/
    Food-wise, we had burger and fries after the meeting and apart from that, I only had a few pieces of fruits. In short, today was not a great day.

Week 2 - Recap

Starting weight: 70.0 kg
    Week 1 weight: 69.1 kg (-0.9)
    Current weight: 68.9 kg (-0.2)

So this is the end of the second week. With regards to exercising, it was a good week - I went to the gym 4 times (3 weight training sessions & one cardio session) and moved around enough. It would be better if I could reach 5 sessions a week though. Food-wise it was so-so. I had a few good days, but there were also a lot of "unknown" aka when I ate out with friends/for meetings and couldn't have a precise calorie count.

I'm not really happy with the weight lost this week. It started well and mid-way I was down to 68.5kg but then it increased again. Also, I don't exactly know why but I felt so bloated for the past 3 days, my stomach sticks out so much I look like I am 6 months pregnant or something ><. I wonder if it affects my weight anyhow (since my weight started increasing when I got bloated).

Anyways, the goals for next week are:
    - Going to the gym 5 times
    - Eating more proteins
    - Getting under 68.0 kg
    - Getting rid of that bloat (if I can help it)

Day 15

Super active day - went to the gym with a friend for a legs day (1h35) and also walked a hell lot. Food-wise, it's not as good: I didn't eat that much during the day but we went out to eat for dinner and I had a whole pizza. I doubt my calories are more than 1500-1600 though (counting 1200 for the pizza).

Day 16

My lower body is just so sore from yesterday's workout that I even need to push with my arms to stand up. Hence, today was a rest day with a low calories intake.

Should be back in the gym tomorrow!

TheMrPickle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMrPickle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good job! Good to hear you putting in work! Keep it up!

GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Week 2 - Recap

Also, I don't exactly know why but I felt so bloated for the past 3 days, my stomach sticks out so much I look like I am 6 months pregnant or something ><. I wonder if it affects my weight anyhow (since my weight started increasing when I got bloated).

- Getting rid of that bloat (if I can help it)
    How high are your carbs? Are you drinking alcohol? I bloat when I drink alcohol or have too much bread in my diet. Look back at your diet within the last week and see what has changed. Also, lower your sodium intake if you want to lose the bloat quickly.
    What did the water say to the boat?

Nothing, it just waved. :)