cracelunker is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A bunch of questions about electrolytes

TLDR: I think I'm not getting enough electrolytes, and I have some questions about the best way to fix that. (Feel free to skip to the questions; I just included a bunch of info because I'm not sure what's relevant.)

So here's my deal: I'm a 38-year-old male. I work out about three times a week, give or take. I'm mainly going for fat loss right now, but my secondary goal is building muscle. I usually do an hour of cardio on an elliptical and then 20-60 minutes of strength training, depending on the day. As for food, I've been on a mostly Soylent diet lately (with exceptions). On a typical non-exception day, I drink 2000 calories of Soylent (five bottles of 2.0), and on gym days, I do that plus some post-workout food: usually a 200-calorie pre-made store-bought Muscle Milk Knockout, a 210-calorie RX Bar, and a chicken or turkey sandwich. (This is a tangent, but I'd be open to any suggestions about my diet on workout days; I don't necessarily know what I'm doing. And I didn't choose Muscle Milk so much as it's what's conveniently available.) Also worth noting: I've had lifelong issues with heat prostration/exhaustion, I sweat pretty heavily, and I have slightly high blood pressure-- not high enough that it's a problem, but high enough that I'm vigilant about things that could push it into being one.

I did a little reading today about what can happen if you're not getting the electrolytes you need, and it included lots of issues I've had, although always in small/infrequent enough ways that I haven't been too concerned. I occasionally get mild headaches for no obvious reason, I often have leg cramps that I've figured I could solve via exercise or stretching, a certain amount of fatigue that I attributed to too much weed (which I quit cold turkey about a week ago), etc. I had a headache and leg cramps today, but after my reading, I drank some coconut water, and now it's a couple of hours later and both problems are gone. So yeah-- I think I'm not getting enough electrolytes. (And if it sounds like I'm wrong about that, I'd love to hear it.)

Here are my questions:

1) What's the best, healthiest way to get what I need without anything I don't want? I definitely do NOT want to mess around with Gatorade or other stuff that's full of sugar and other junk, and I gather coconut water is too low in sodium. From the research I did today, it sounds like electrolyte tablets might be the best way to go-- is that right?

2) Whatever it is I go with, when should I have that in relation to a workout? Before? After? Both? (I'd prefer to stick to just water DURING the workout, but can change that up if need be.)

3) Do you think the amount of sodium I'd be getting could be an issue for my blood pressure? (I have a physical coming up in a couple of weeks, so if there are any maybes here, I can run them by my doctor.)

4) Does my post-workout drink-- Muscle Milk for now, probably something else once I have a better idea of what I should go with-- take care of this? I know that's more about protein; I don't know whether or not it addresses electrolyte concerns too.

Thanks for any advice! I'm new here and looking forward to being more of a participant.
    Last edited by cracelunker; 06-25-2018 at 05:21 PM.

GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You are on soylent. Worry more about that than electrolytes.
    Just show up. Move some iron. Put in the time. Eat enough food.

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you gotten a SMA-7 AKA Basic Metabolic Panel done to see if your lytes are off?
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Originally Posted by GKC45 View Post
    You are on soylent. Worry more about that than electrolytes.
    Obviously that's a whole other discussion, but I've done a bunch of research into Soylent and actively looked for reasons why it might be a problem, and I feel comfortable with it. I've been using it for a while now and haven't been aware of any significant issues. I'm open-minded and if there are concerns I'm not aware of, I would love to hear them (although I don't know that this thread is the place), but for the moment, I'm looking for advice about electrolytes within the context of using Soylent.

Although that reminds me of one thing I forgot to mention: at 2000 calories, Soylent is giving me 65% of the recommended amount of sodium, instead of 100% like with a lot of other things.

Originally Posted by boo99 View Post
    Have you gotten a SMA-7 AKA Basic Metabolic Panel done to see if your lytes are off?
    I haven't, and this is the first I'm hearing of that. Is that something I can ask my doctor for at my physical? And is it expensive?

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by cracelunker View Post
    I haven't, and this is the first I'm hearing of that. Is that something I can ask my doctor for at my physical? And is it expensive?
    Yes, you can ask, it is routinely performed

I dont know about the cost but being basic and routine I would guess not as expensive as specialty tests

i.e I dont pay a co pay with this on my insurance but lipids, I have to pay 10.00 as well as on LFT (Liver function test)
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Originally Posted by boo99 View Post
    Yes, you can ask, it is routinely performed

I dont know about the cost but being basic and routine I would guess not as expensive as specialty tests

i.e I dont pay a co pay with this on my insurance but lipids, I have to pay 10.00 as well as on LFT (Liver function test)
    Thanks! I'll definitely ask about that at my physical.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tea

Ell

Dee

Are
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"