Hardgainzer is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help, Have I been training too hard for my level?

So I've been lifting for years, but should be a lot bigger and stronger considering how long I have. I've primarily focused on Oly lifting and previously had set backs with tendonitis and I haven't always been in a caloric surplus or trained with a barbell as well as I have also tended to do a lot of cardio through sport (which all may explain delayed progress).

However, I've starting reading into starting strength and all that (never saw it when I started). I hear plenty of people training for only a year and coming out with lifts equal to mine :S
    Squat 115-120kg... F Squat 105-110kg... Bench 100kg... OH Press 62.5kg... Deadlift 150kg... Snatch 82kg... Clean and Jerk 100kg
    Bodyweight - 70-73kg with 10-13% body fat.
    5ft 9 - 178cm tall.

Now I'm pretty sure I am beyond noob gains. But judging by my lifts, I'm not far other people noob gains. I've seen people who are stronger than me get results following the Texas method. Looking at this program however, I can't help but think it's too easy. I'm used to 5x5 3 times per week at around 80% as opposed to 5x5 at 90% of 5rm (around 75%).

I'm wondering if Texas method would be good for me and if I've been trying to do to much or whats gone wrong?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The Texas Method is run like most novice programs, meaning there's no real micro/mesocycle and it's just constant linear progression. However, it follows the typical load-deload-peaking formula to drive progress, because you can't keep adding weight and running 3x5 or 5x5 without overtraining. It looks like less volume overall compared to SS/SL, but it's designed for people who need to progress weekly rather than daily. The only real way to figure out if it's going to work for you or not is to try it for some time. However, if you're having issues with tendonitis and other overuse injuries, chances are your current program is simply too much volume or too little recovery.

The Texas Method is a pretty good method but obviously you'll need to adapt it to weightlifting as the one that is plastered all over the internet is a strength routine, not a weightlifting routine. I'd recommend any of Oleksiy Torokhtiy's programs (both free and paid) for weightlifting. I ran his Leg Strength program when my wrist couldn't tolerate high volume snatching and I thought it was effective and very fun.

What's your current routine?

Hardgainzer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you,
    I've previously done 5x5 but starting 1 or 2 reps short of my 5rm. And doing this 2/3 times per week. This is why I was wondering if I was training too hard as I haven't been using reloading phases other than taking a rest week every few months when I felt aches and pains. The tendonitis is long gone now. I also joined a weightlifting club and did a lot of sessions such as 6x2 8x2 etc.
    I just mean, as my lifts are not that much further than a novice perhaps I should tone it back. I think the cardio has been the main set back, playing hours and hours of various sports in the same week, but that has died right down now to just the one sport.

Originally Posted by Gwybodaeth View Post
    The Texas Method is run like most novice programs, meaning there's no real micro/mesocycle and it's just constant linear progression. However, it follows the typical load-deload-peaking formula to drive progress, because you can't keep adding weight and running 3x5 or 5x5 without overtraining. It looks like less volume overall compared to SS/SL, but it's designed for people who need to progress weekly rather than daily. The only real way to figure out if it's going to work for you or not is to try it for some time. However, if you're having issues with tendonitis and other overuse injuries, chances are your current program is simply too much volume or too little recovery.

The Texas Method is a pretty good method but obviously you'll need to adapt it to weightlifting as the one that is plastered all over the internet is a strength routine, not a weightlifting routine. I'd recommend any of Oleksiy Torokhtiy's programs (both free and paid) for weightlifting. I ran his Leg Strength program when my wrist couldn't tolerate high volume snatching and I thought it was effective and very fun.

What's your current routine?

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Hardgainzer View Post
    Thank you,
    I've previously done 5x5 but starting 1 or 2 reps short of my 5rm. And doing this 2/3 times per week. This is why I was wondering if I was training too hard as I haven't been using reloading phases other than taking a rest week every few months when I felt aches and pains. The tendonitis is long gone now. I also joined a weightlifting club and did a lot of sessions such as 6x2 8x2 etc.
    I just mean, as my lifts are not that much further than a novice perhaps I should tone it back. I think the cardio has been the main set back, playing hours and hours of various sports in the same week, but that has died right down now to just the one sport.
    You may have overestimated how much the other sports were impacting recovery, which leads to stuff like tendonitis and the aches and pains.

Even at 45, I can't do too much higher volume lifting for very long or it will eat me up and spit me out!!
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133