SackMan65 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is it worth getting a six-pack?

I’ve always thought it to be of little importance. I would’ve much rather have strong muscles than toned ones. But I’ve had somewhat of an epiphany recently (not going into detail about that) and I want to know what it’s like having abs. I’m 16 years old, currently at novice-intermediate with my lifts (on Fierce 5 for 6 months in a row). My BF is roughly 27% according to an online calc (I know it’s not accurate so I’d say +/- another 5 percent). Point is, no abs. And they won’t be coming anytime soon. So I want to ask those who have somewhat visible abs, is it worth it? I’m assuming most of you on this specific forum have been fat at some point, and that some of you have lost that fat. Is it worth eating at a deficit and doing intense, long-lasting cardio to get those abs or not? Would I be better off just going at maintenance and getting stronger? All answers appreciated!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No.

They are the icing on the cake if you have already built a good physique.

But the pursuit of low BF especially in novices is leading to legions of small weak hungry individuals who obsess about calories, macros and sodium bloating as far as I can tell. It ends up at "skinny fat" far more often than it ends up at something that might be considered desirable.

So you are doing the right thing by prioritising strength and muscle size IMO.

Your BF might not be that high, post a picture if you want an opinion.

SackMan65 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I’ll post a few pics when I get home. I’ve lost some fat (I kinda ate how I wanted so far, tried going like 200 cals deficit on most days, but ended up saying “**** it” and ate myself to a surplus. I was usually at 509-1500 cals at surplus every week). I still noticed recently how my veins started popping out more so that might be a lower BF. Could just be a good pump and the effort I put in a workout. Anyway I appreciate the advice, I’ll try to get to a stronger level before going on a cut.

Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A 6 pack can be the making of your physique but only once you’ve built the muscular frame aswell.

No good having a 6 pack if your skinny everywhere else
    advertising not permitted

My eyes are up here. hendrixfreak70's Avatar
    hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) hendrixfreak70 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's relative and dependent on how close you are to it, I suppose.
    Romans 3:23
    Romans 6:23
    Romans 10:13

Darkninjafrog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Only you can answer that question. If you are willing to put in the effort to get one then yes it’s worth it. If you are not then no, it isn’t.

xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xfei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was borderline obese at 210 lb (95 kg). diet down to 137 lb (62 kg) chasing the six pack.

At 137 lb, I had the six pack. Guess what, nobody was impressed at it, instead people are shocked at how skinny and small I was. People are more interested on how I can lose the weight. Most common comment was: "are you sick?"

I gained 26 lb (12 kg) since then and put on some muscles. Lost the 6 packs, has 4 packs only now. People says I definitely looked better now.

So is it worth it? I would say yes, only if you can maintain a medium or big frame. Otherwise no.

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xfei View Post
    I was borderline obese at 210 lb (95 kg). diet down to 137 lb (62 kg) chasing the six pack.

At 137 lb, I had the six pack. Guess what, nobody was impressed at it, instead people are shocked at how skinny and small I was. People are more interested on how I can lose the weight. Most common comment was: "are you sick?"

I gained 26 lb (12 kg) since then and put on some muscles. Lost the 6 packs, has 4 packs only now. People says I definitely looked better now.

So is it worth it? I would say yes, only if you can maintain a medium or big frame. Otherwise no.
    Wrong mentality, bro. Do it for yourself, not because of what others say. I personally rather be lean with a 6-pack, because it makes me feel better, than be fatter, just because others don't approve.

Do it for you, or not at all. That is my thinking.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG
    I don't go to the gym anymore so above stats are useless.

Only do weighted calastentics in the comfort of my own home!

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

I Crush Body Fat Fast crushbodyfat's Avatar
    crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crushbodyfat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Trying to get a six pack is a pain for guys let's be honest,my man almost tore his muscles trying to be arnod and it wasn't funny. Maintain your mass, take the gym lightly
    I help people lose body and belly fat fast and naturally...

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by crushbodyfat View Post
    Trying to get a six pack is a pain for guys let's be honest,my man almost tore his muscles trying to be arnod and it wasn't funny. Maintain your mass, take the gym lightly
    LOL at your website plug... Red tea detox??? what the crap...
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I hope one day I get some, just for myself so I can say I went from a fatty to a lean muscle machine but due to my soft belly fat and loose skin on the lower belly side I may have to be happy with a 4-pack ... better than a 0 pack haha.

Right now I am just happy to be in better shape and I am slowly working towards a better physique, I think overall health and mental well being is the most important in my opinion.

jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000)
    At 16... dude you're still growing. Healthy fats are important for hormone development at this age as well. Nothing wrong with building muscle and wanting to be healthy, but that's the key, and the thing that needs to be paramount over having visible ab muscles, BEING HEALTHY.

A visible 6 pack don't mean **** if you made yourself sick and nutritionally deficient in the process.

Look, at anywhere near 27% BF, veins popping out is certainly not because of being "fit"... the vascularity you see in 8% or less BF guys.. no, it's not gonna be that. At just about 30% body fat, you'll be lucky if a phlebotomist could even FIND a vein in your arm. lol. Near 30% BF is just plain fat and overweight, period. I know, I was there.

And you certainly ARE NOT decreasing BF while eating in a 500-1500 calorie surplus each week. That's a good way to put additional fat on, however. Probably a good pound per month. Do you want to have 12+ more pounds of fat after a years' time? I wouldn't. If you want that, I'll give ya the extra 15lbs of fat I've got now. lol.

So look at it this way, bud... it's more important to be healthy and generally fit, than to be low body fat % and have visible abs that you only think other people care about. Unless it's just floozy girls who are so shallow they only like you for superficial things like that, but don't really care about you.

You've got a good 70 more years ahead of you to make mistakes in life, so try not to start too early with this one thinking that visible abs is all that matters (or that it matters at all).
    Last edited by jasondjulian; 06-29-2018 at 05:17 AM.

jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by runuali View Post
    I hope one day I get some, just for myself so I can say I went from a fatty to a lean muscle machine but due to my soft belly fat and loose skin on the lower belly side I may have to be happy with a 4-pack ... better than a 0 pack haha.

Right now I am just happy to be in better shape and I am slowly working towards a better physique, I think overall health and mental well being is the most important in my opinion.
    Quoted for truth. Being happy with yourself and not an overweight diabetic who can't play with his kids or walk up a flight of stairs is critically important.

"0 pack"... yeah, that's what I call having a "keg" instead of a 4 or 6 pack. lol. I think I'm down from keg to having a growler- but at least I got rid of the foam packing material that came with it!

runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post
    Quoted for truth. Being happy with yourself and not an overweight diabetic who can't play with his kids or walk up a flight of stairs is critically important.

"0 pack"... yeah, that's what I call having a "keg" instead of a 4 or 6 pack. lol. I think I'm down from keg to having a growler- but at least I got rid of the foam packing material that came with it!
    Yeah most definitely, I am Type 2 and taking meds, also meds for Cholesterol levels, I was dam close to reversing the diabetes but I am working on it hard.

Glad you made some amazing progress man, keep it up !

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The thing with abs is - they're difficult to get and difficult to maintain. In a perfect world, I would bulk up to my max potential muscle mass, then cut down to 10% and maintain there forever. It doesn't work like that, though...when I cut down to abs, it's great while it lasts, but sooner or later I decide I want to bulk up and add more muscle, and no matter how careful I am, the body fat rises and the abs fade...so the cycle continues...

I will say this: having and maintaining 6% body fat abs (ripped) is not worth it because you essentially can't eat anything. For me, the ideal would be to have a solid amount of lean mass and maintain around 10-11%, not ripped but lean enough for a 6 pack and good physique.

EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000) EBarbz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't have a 6 pack I would say. Probably between a 4 and 6.
    And its already a pain in the ass.
    Cardio which I hate.
    Always hungry
    Tired.

Is it worth. Yes and No.
    "I mean I know Im gonna get Got....But ima get mine more than I get Got Doh"-Marshawn Lynch

Made in Detroit

Perfect Height Crew

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    The thing with abs is - they're difficult to get and difficult to maintain. In a perfect world, I would bulk up to my max potential muscle mass, then cut down to 10% and maintain there forever. It doesn't work like that, though...when I cut down to abs, it's great while it lasts, but sooner or later I decide I want to bulk up and add more muscle, and no matter how careful I am, the body fat rises and the abs fade...so the cycle continues...

I will say this: having and maintaining 6% body fat abs (ripped) is not worth it because you essentially can't eat anything. For me, the ideal would be to have a solid amount of lean mass and maintain around 10-11%, not ripped but lean enough for a 6 pack and good physique.
    I don't have any issues maintaining a 6pack, but the trade off is all of my fat is on my obliques lol
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Junsuiakai View Post
    I don't have any issues maintaining a 6pack, but the trade off is all of my fat is on my obliques lol
    Yeah, my abs never totally disappear, I guess we're lucky like that...even at higher 15%+ body fat levels you can still make the abs out...but I need to be down around 10% for love handles/lower back fat to go away. Not sure how good the abs look when they're surrounded love handles lol.

Yeah, my abs never totally disappear, I guess we're lucky like that...even at higher 15%+ body fat levels you can still make the abs out...but I need to be down around 10% for love handles/lower back fat to go away. Not sure how good the abs look when they're surrounded love handles lol.
    Depends on the time of day, what we ate, too many factors that are hidden by insta models and fitness gurus.

No wonder so many guys have so many issues with their bodies.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG

YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YoelDovid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's worth it if you really want one.

If you don't, then it's not.

Depends on the time of day, what we ate, too many factors that are hidden by insta models and fitness gurus.

No wonder so many guys have so many issues with their bodies.
    I go through stages of being okay with it and not...sometimes, when I'm on the fattier side, I think to myself "what's the point of all this exercise and effort if you don't have the "body" to show for it?" Because as you said my idea of a good body is what we see in the media so if I don't have a rippling 8 pack I feel like I'm not getting the ultimate result.

When in reality I'd probably be happier just sitting around 15% and eating whatever I want and not worrying about it.

I go through stages of being okay with it and not...sometimes, when I'm on the fattier side, I think to myself "what's the point of all this exercise and effort if you don't have the "body" to show for it?" Because as you said my idea of a good body is what we see in the media so if I don't have a rippling 8 pack I feel like I'm not getting the ultimate result.

When in reality I'd probably be happier just sitting around 15% and eating whatever I want and not worrying about it.
    One tactic that works wonders is that when you look in the mirror, don't focus on one area, look at your entire physique, you'll begin to look at yourself differently.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG

One tactic that works wonders is that when you look in the mirror, don't focus on one area, look at your entire physique, you'll begin to look at yourself differently.
    Tried to rep but on spread - yep, good tip, I try to do that...focus on overall build instead of zeroing in on the spare tire area...for the most part I'm fine with where I'm at, but sometimes when I'm sitting down relaxing...that's when I psych myself out because I see the large collection of fat and can feel it...obviously it's because I'm scrunched up from sitting - but when I was insta lean, like sub 10%, that didn't happen - so in my mind, that is the measure for when I'm truly "fit" - when I have no fat rolls even when sitting hunched over.

Anyway - you know what they say about beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. It's all about perspective.

I think I noticed some really faint ab lines this morning ... haha ... need to get into a surplus soon and get more mass on me ...

Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It’s overrated. Mainly because many people pursue one despite having little to no muscle mass. It’s worth it if you have a significant amount of muscle to go with it but not if you’re going to be a skinny twig. Anyone can starve themselves to a six pack but it takes effort and dedication to have a ripped muscular physique with the six pack being the icing on the cake.
    advertising not permitted

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Very tempted to make this a sticky thread.

Honestly, for me, I'd rather have a well defined upper body with good muscle mass (not huge necessarily) than have visible ab muscles. For a male, strong shoulders and back, defined arm muscles and a powerful chest are more important aesthetically to me. Oh, and proportionally strong legs too- none of that chicken leg crap- NEVER SKIP LEG DAY! lol. (You should probably be doing lunges/squats and full body workouts anyhow, so legs and core get worked anyhow).

Visible abs, as was said, would be and are icing on the cake. But the overall shape and build are more important. If you have a properly proportioned and strong body overall, the waist region and abdominals in general will appear more fit as well- but visibility of the muscle groups is still determined by overall body fat percentage and distribution.

Depending on your genetics and how your body stores fat reserves, some people may NEVER have visible abs until they are in competition level low body fat %. And that's just not realistic to maintain day to day.