Bassima23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Struggles of a gym owner?

Hey yall!

Im new here and looking to transition from engineering to working as a PT/gym owner or helping local gym owners as that's always been my first passion

Can you guys answer a few questions please, so that I can get an idea of what really goes on behind the curtains of a PTs/gym owners life

1) What is your biggest fear as a PT?
    2) What are your top 3 daily frustrations?
    3) What trends are occurring and will occur in your business or life
    4) Where do you get all fitness/health related news from?
    5)Who is your ideal client?
    6) What is the best way to attract new clients?

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    My experience is that people who are unwilling to do basic research by reading through threads which already answer these questions are people who will not succeed as trainers, let alone business owners.

Read through what's already here, and if you've more questions then fire away.

I read through many of your threads! Super interesting btw...i see that you highlight, being more successful working from
    Your garage than a commeRcial gym. Would you recommend working for a local gym instead of commercial if im just getting started?

401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Bassima23 View Post
    I read through many of your threads! Would you recommend working for a local gym instead of commercial if im just getting started?
    Either the above statement is inaccurate, or you're not paying attention.

Go back and read the numerous posts that Kyle has written addressing this exact question .

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fitness is your first passion, yet you are new here?

That's like asking 'Cooking is my first passion, so my question is, how do I become a restaurant owner?' on a cooking site with a post count of 5.

If fitness is your first passion, your post count woud be in the hundreds and the first dozen or so questions would be about fitness program development and nutrition.

I've never known anyone to be passionate about something they never talk about.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

I beg to differ, the fact that my post count isnt a million on bodybuilding.com has nothing to do with my passion in fitness. Nor does it prove that i am not constantly discussing/sharing knowledge of fitness/nutrition.

Since you ignored everything else i wrote in my thread and decided to be super selective. Ill re-explain myself, i am at a point where I am ready to start my transition from engineering degree to personal training and have spoken to multiple people via ********/linkedin and now looking into bodybuilding.com for the best way to make that transition.

BTW as someone who claims to be so passionate in fitness and on bodybuilding.com for a while now, i would recommend you spend more of your time helping than judging, food for thought

401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I beg to differ, the fact that my post count isnt a million on bodybuilding.com has nothing to do with my passion in fitness. Nor does it prove that i am not constantly discussing/sharing knowledge of fitness/nutrition.

Since you ignored everything else i wrote in my thread and decided to be super selective. Ill re-explain myself, i am at a point where I am ready to start my transition from engineering degree to personal training and have spoken to multiple people via ********/linkedin and now looking into bodybuilding.com for the best way to make that transition.

BTW as someone who claims to be so passionate in fitness and on bodybuilding.com for a while now, i would recommend you spend more of your time helping than judging, food for thought
    There isn't much of a transition from engineering to personal training. I have an engineering degree as well (CE) and can tell you there is very little overlap. Have you already graduated and tested out or are you still in school and want to change majors?

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)

Horrible suggestion. After about 1000 post you begin to understand the type of people who come here and you start to get really good at identifying who is genuinely a fitness enthusiast and those who are full of sh*t.

You are the latter. I didn't 'help' you because you are not genuinely interested in help. Nothing you say makes any sense.

"transition from engineering to working as a PT/gym owner or helping local gym owners"

WTF does this even mean? There is no 'transition' from engineering to being a gym owner. Owning a gym is about capitol. You buy a gym and poof, you are the new owner. No need to stop 'engineering'. Also, how does one 'work' as a PT/gym owner? What is a PT/Gym owner anyway?

Also... 'helping local gym owners'. WTF does this mean? Helping them how? And what leads you to believe they need help from someone with an engineering background? You can't even help yourself get into the industry so how can you help them?

It's all very stupid wording and thought processing. I've seen this a thousand times.

The next time you want help creating an app or software program, just come right out and say it. Some of us have post graduate degrees and are smarter than you might have assumed.
    Last edited by Ronin4help; 06-23-2018 at 06:25 PM.

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I figured it was an ambitious app-maker, but thought I'd give the benefit of the doubt and allow them a chance to read through things and prove themselves.

Online trainers.
    App developers.
    Investors.
    Diet plan sellers.
    Equipment sellers.
    E-book writers with two years' experience training people.
    Supplement sellers.
    "Trainers" with no clients but 400 shirtless and/or booty shots on instagram.
    Keyboard warriors.
    People offering weekend seminars in the latest greatest fad piece of equipment.
    Or seminars in "six weeks to a six figure income!" who themselves only ever made six figures by selling that course.

Sigh. Where are the people who actually want to train people?

I already have an engineering degree and have been working in the field for 2 years...i am not looking to use my degree anymore as i switch but was looking to gain insight from others who may have transitioned before i officially take the leap.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Sigh. Where are the people who actually want to train people?
    I think they read but don't join or post. Most aren't the 'ask for help' type. Most just 'watch' and learn from the shadows. So keep posting Kyle because athough the OP may be full of it, there are others reading who actually use the info you provide.

I already have an engineering degree and have been working in the field for 2 years...i am not looking to use my degree anymore as i switch but was looking to gain insight from others who may have transitioned before i officially take the leap.
    You went to college for 4 years, worked for 2 and have suddenly decided you are 'not looking to use my degree anymore'. Instead, you are going to 'transition' [BTW-engineering does not transition in any way, shape or form to fitness. Wrong terminology. You could say, 'I am thinking about transitioning from being a group exercise instructor to a full time personal trainer because the two are relatable components of the same industry] into fitness without having any reason to do so with the exception of passion.

You want some valuable advice? DO NOT DO IT. Stay in engineering. Grow, develop and learn the trends in your own industry. In ten years you will be very glad you did.

Ronin's right. Four year degree. I mean seriously. Do another four years. Then you'll have been involved in engineering for ten years overall and will have some idea of it. It's not like you're 76 years old - what's another four years?

Then get a trainer and work with them for that four years, achieve some things. That's good in itself, but is also ideal preparation for becoming a trainer.

Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sergexzx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Struggles of a gym owner?

A big percentage of them have difficult generating qualified leads that want to buy memberships or personal training.