Rabzii is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Advice required - Am I following too many wrong plans?

Weight: 12" stone and 2"pounds

Hi Everyone.

So basically, I am a fairly active person with a good healthy diet. I go to the gym between 4-5 times a week and play 5-a side football on the other days. I love being active and I aspire to feel and look as fit as I possibly can. But I digress, I am having some issues that I think may be holding me back. I imagine its probably more of a mental thing but I can't ever seem to find the right plan to bring to me where I want to be. I am "that guy" who will read and research and watch numerous videos about what I "should" be doing and eating and then I do it, for months. In my head, following the right plan and diet for 6 months, should get where I want to be with a defined and muscular frame. I've tried different rep schemes, I've tried the different training types. I feel like I am pushing myself too.

I may be too self deprecating because my frame has definitely changed. I would just like to get to the next level and after 2 years, I feel stuck, doing the same workouts for months and not feeling much change. I am not a guy that wants to build a lot of mass, but I want to have a lean figure with some good definition on my chest, abs and back and gaining an inch or 2 on my arms would be nice. I'm very motivated but I just lack self direction, or maybe I have just read for too much and got confused as to whats actually beneficial.

Any recommendations or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated? Or even a link to "another" plan for needs? lol

Current Deadlift PB - 130kg
    Current Squat PB - 100kg
    I bench around 60kg - bench seems to be my weakness.

DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Rabzii View Post
    Weight: 12" stone and 2"pounds

Hi Everyone.

So basically, I am a fairly active person with a good healthy diet. I go to the gym between 4-5 times a week and play 5-a side football on the other days. I love being active and I aspire to feel and look as fit as I possibly can. But I digress, I am having some issues that I think may be holding me back. I imagine its probably more of a mental thing but I can't ever seem to find the right plan to bring to me where I want to be. I am "that guy" who will read and research and watch numerous videos about what I "should" be doing and eating and then I do it, for months. In my head, following the right plan and diet for 6 months, should get where I want to be with a defined and muscular frame. I've tried different rep schemes, I've tried the different training types. I feel like I am pushing myself too.

I may be too self deprecating because my frame has definitely changed. I would just like to get to the next level and after 2 years, I feel stuck, doing the same workouts for months and not feeling much change. I am not a guy that wants to build a lot of mass, but I want to have a lean figure with some good definition on my chest, abs and back and gaining an inch or 2 on my arms would be nice. I'm very motivated but I just lack self direction, or maybe I have just read for too much and got confused as to whats actually beneficial.

Any recommendations or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated? Or even a link to "another" plan for needs? lol

Current Deadlift PB - 130kg
    Current Squat PB - 100kg
    I bench around 60kg - bench seems to be my weakness.
    I think we can break this down easily:

Be in a (slight) caloric surplus, progressively overload your lifts in a way = profit.

What does your workout plan look like now & how much are you eating a day (Calories & macro's).
    - Slow progress, is progress.
    - Losing fat is a marathon, not a race.
    - Take care of your body, you've only got one.
    - Progressive overload + good form.

Originally Posted by DutchTeamUltra View Post
    I think we can break this down easily:

Be in a (slight) caloric surplus, progressively overload your lifts in a way = profit.

What does your workout plan look like now & how much are you eating a day (Calories & macro's).
    Thanks for the reply.

Right now, my diet is probably between 1600 and 2000. I would say daily calories would be 1800. Ratio wise probably 45-50% of that would be protein between lunch, dinner, shakes (a lot of chicken breasts, turkey rashers, protein milk etc then the rest would be carbs..and fat % wise...im not too sure.

Plan wise, mostly compound, I try to concentrate on 2 muscles groups every session.
    I will mix it up w/ isolated movements to involve some curls etc

I am happy with how my chest and shoulders are coming along but any progress on arms, core and back seem to be at a standstill.

The calories are probably the issue. I only downgraded them in the last 3 months to help aid body fat reduction.

runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are in a deficit you will struggle to build muscle. As Dutch mentioned, you need to be in a surplus if you want to gain muscle.

Find your calorie intake on https://tdeecalculator.net/ and go from there.

I'm 2 stone lighter than you and coming out of a 20 month long cut, my lifts are almost as close to yours. Eat more, lift heavy on a good program, try something proven like Stronglifts 5x5.

Originally Posted by runuali View Post
    If you are in a deficit you will struggle to build muscle. As Dutch mentioned, you need to be in a surplus if you want to gain muscle.

I'm 2 stone lighter than you and coming out of a 20 month long cut, my lifts are almost as close to yours. Eat more, lift heavy on a good program, try something proven like Stronglifts 5x5.
    Thanks for the feedback.

The deficit itself was only temporary but yeah I agree, I do now, need to up my calories. I try eat clean enough so I do find getting that much calories in difficult at times, unless I am eating multiple chicken breasts etc. Do you have any diet tips for getting those extra calories in cleanly?

My lifts, for my size, I guess perhaps should be more and I am working towards that.

Also, cheers for the link.

runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the feedback.

The deficit itself was only temporary but yeah I agree, I do now, need to up my calories. I try eat clean enough so I do find getting that much calories in difficult at times, unless I am eating multiple chicken breasts etc. Do you have any diet tips for getting those extra calories in cleanly?

My lifts, for my size, I guess perhaps should be more and I am working towards that.

No tips, just try and hit your macros. Sometimes when you are bulking or cutting you just have to eat and in my case I ate the same foods for pretty much 20 months. Try preparing meals in advance, using food scales is a good way to gauge the calories, always take into account any oils/sauces/condiments too.

DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the feedback.

By all means, it is the calories, no doubt in my mind.

Eating clean is much of a "farce" man.
    The 80/20 rule is amazing for this. -> Eat 80 % healthy and whole foods & 20% what you want.
    In essence total daily calories & macro's > food sources.

But really, as long as you get 0,82 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight & 20% of daily calories (on a cut) or 0,4 grams per lb (when gaining) of fat, you can fill the rest of your calories however you like. I used to have a huge appetite, but do not have it anymore. So when I'm trying to gain weight I put extra butter or PB in my oatmeal. Extra olive oil on my rice & meats, eating fattier meats, handful of peanuts with a meal, if I have dairy I don't get the low fat ones, you know.

I personally don't eat "clean", I follow a healthy diet, which also includes fats & sugars because that's just how life is.
    Don't be scared of fat's and sugars, at all.

Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Consistency is key. You need a solid plan for workout and diet and be consistent with it
    advertising not permitted

By all means, it is the calories, no doubt in my mind.

Eating clean is much of a "farce" man.
    The 80/20 rule is amazing for this. -> Eat 80 % healthy and whole foods & 20% what you want.
    In essence total daily calories & macro's > food sources.

But really, as long as you get 0,82 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight & 20% of daily calories (on a cut) or 0,4 grams per lb (when gaining) of fat, you can fill the rest of your calories however you like. I used to have a huge appetite, but do not have it anymore. So when I'm trying to gain weight I put extra butter or PB in my oatmeal. Extra olive oil on my rice & meats, eating fattier meats, handful of peanuts with a meal, if I have dairy I don't get the low fat ones, you know.

I personally don't eat "clean", I follow a healthy diet, which also includes fats & sugars because that's just how life is.
    Don't be scared of fat's and sugars, at all.
    Haha, yeah sorry man, when I said clean I meant "healthy" not sugar-less! I wouldnt be able to cope without fats & sugars.

I think I just need to improve on the amount of food I get daily. I will eat my porridge, try to snack on a few healthy snacks, or dry ass rice cakes during the day and then eat some turkey or chicken with rice for lunch and then have a dinner later and maybe a snack or two. The calories still only end up under 2000, but i find it quite hard to will myself to eat more "healthy foods" to fill those calories up. There is only so much rice, sweet potato and chicken breasts one man can take.

Thanks for the advice though guys. Once I get my diet on point, I just need to find a decent plan to build some mass on the arms. I just want to be careful as I don't want to start gaining too much around my stomach, as all weight gain seems to go right to the hips. I would like to see some more definition around my abs.

So basically, bigger arms, leaner abs...not too much to ask right?

I know plans work differently for everyone but is there a specific plan I should be following to maximize the potential of this happening?

Haha, yeah sorry man, when I said clean I meant "healthy" not sugar-less! I wouldnt be able to cope without fats & sugars.

I think I just need to improve on the amount of food I get daily. I will eat my porridge, try to snack on a few healthy snacks, or dry ass rice cakes during the day and then eat some turkey or chicken with rice for lunch and then have a dinner later and maybe a snack or two. The calories still only end up under 2000, but i find it quite hard to will myself to eat more "healthy foods" to fill those calories up. There is only so much rice, sweet potato and chicken breasts one man can take.

Thanks for the advice though guys. Once I get my diet on point, I just need to find a decent plan to build some mass on the arms. I just want to be careful as I don't want to start gaining too much around my stomach, as all weight gain seems to go right to the hips. I would like to see some more definition around my abs.

So basically, bigger arms, leaner abs...not too much to ask right?

I know plans work differently for everyone but is there a specific plan I should be following to maximize the potential of this happening?
    Mate, really, get the rice cakes outta here. Eat some foods that are more calorie dense.
    If you have trouble getting the calories in, have peanutbutter or even a donut/bagel/candybar.

It kinda is a "lot to ask" because you either build muscle (and get a bit fatter) or lose fat (and don't build muscle).
    So you have to pick which one you do first. FYI, really lean with no muscle doesn't look that impressive, so you know my pick.
    Good routines are in the stickies. Allpro's + TheVikings + Fierce 5 are all great.
    I do advice most people to start out with the fullbody/novice ones of the lather 2 mentioned.
    Lots of people think they are intermediate but not even close & have so much potential left just lifting hard without all kinds of gimmicks.

Mate, really, get the rice cakes outta here. Eat some foods that are more calorie dense.
    If you have trouble getting the calories in, have peanutbutter or even a donut/bagel/candybar.

It kinda is a "lot to ask" because you either build muscle (and get a bit fatter) or lose fat (and don't build muscle).
    So you have to pick which one you do first. FYI, really lean with no muscle doesn't look that impressive, so you know my pick.
    Good routines are in the stickies. Allpro's + TheVikings + Fierce 5 are all great.
    I do advice most people to start out with the fullbody/novice ones of the lather 2 mentioned.
    Lots of people think they are intermediate but not even close & have so much potential left just lifting hard without all kinds of gimmicks.
    That's excellent. Cheers for the routines tips. The set up for the all pro routine seems like something i should of being doing all along.

Yeh I feel like i've been stuck in the beginner phase for a long time now. I have the knowledge to know what I should be doing but putting the pieces together to make it work, I tend to find a bit more difficult. I will push myself till the cows come home but not doing the best plans to maximize the potential and not eating enough has held me back.

I would like to think in 6 months, If I put the "correct" work in, diet and plan wise...I could be in great shape.

That's excellent. Cheers for the routines tips. The set up for the all pro routine seems like something i should of being doing all along.

Yeh I feel like i've been stuck in the beginner phase for a long time now. I have the knowledge to know what I should be doing but putting the pieces together to make it work, I tend to find a bit more difficult. I will push myself till the cows come home but not doing the best plans to maximize the potential and not eating enough has held me back.

I would like to think in 6 months, If I put the "correct" work in, diet and plan wise...I could be in great shape.
    You're better off taking the diet advice as well, really. Building muscle is 80% diet, for sure.
    Thing also is. You can push yourself till the cows come home on any great program. But as long as you aren't in a caloric surplus, you won't gain muscle.
    (Except for noob gains that is, but still) As I said, you can't be ultra lean and build muscle efficiently. Part of the game.

You're better off taking the diet advice as well, really. Building muscle is 80% diet, for sure.
    Thing also is. You can push yourself till the cows come home on any great program. But as long as you aren't in a caloric surplus, you won't gain muscle.
    (Except for noob gains that is, but still) As I said, you can't be ultra lean and build muscle efficiently. Part of the game.
    Better start upping the calories, so. Thanks for tips mate.