warhawk373 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lifting for about 14 months, little results

I'm 21, 5'7"~155lbs. My max is as follows: Bench-250 Squat-300 Deadlift-385. As the title says, I haven't really seen much "physical" results. Of course my strength is still increasing fairly fast though.

I started out with a simple 5x5 style workout 3 days a week with some accessories. After about 3 of those cycles for 5 weeks each, I switched to TSA Intermediate 9-week program. That really got my strength up. I did however condense the workout to fit in 3 days instead of 4. I did two of those, so 18 weeks. Then me and the guy I lift with wanted to try some new lifts, like log press and some variation squats and deadlifts so we kind of made our own program that was similar to TSA intermediate that focused a little bit more on volume rather than intensity. Ever since I started lifting I've focused on the protein part of my diet but not much else.

Lately we've been throwing in more than average cardio and reducing our leg workouts a little because we are taking a trip to Colorado, gotta prepare for that altitude. So with these reduced workouts and a couple weeks off lifting I think I'm ready to hit a reset button and figure out what I need to change in the gym.

I've never asked for help from the internet about lifting before except a couple times when I first started and didn't know much. But I know there's a lot of you with a lot more experience than me out there. What do you think I should change?

Last details: I'm natural (clearly) and if you recommend a program, 3 days a week, 2 hour workouts are about my limit due to work and classes will start up soon.

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How much weight have you gained in previous year?

convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10) convuLt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Those PRs are great imho even though you aren't gaining enough "physical results".
    From December 2018 to current - stats

Bench 165 lbs x 2
    Squats 275 x 1
    Deadlift 330 x 1

Originally Posted by convuLt View Post
    Those PRs are great imho even though you aren't gaining enough "physical results".
    Thanks. Yes I do feel like my strength gains have been good. But honestly I'm just not interested in competing so totals aren't my main goal.

Originally Posted by Mikeez0 View Post
    How much weight have you gained in previous year?
    Before I started I was 145, after the TSA I was 160, and now I'm 155. To get to 160 though I was drinking 2 weight gain shakes a day and eating 4 sometimes 5 meals a day. It is very difficult for me to gain weight. Most of it though seemed to just go to my hips, and honestly I just felt like I was getting fat and not toned at all.

Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myfitfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You don’t mention much about your diet and I’d say that’s one of the most important things. What’s a typical days diet?
    advertising not permitted

Originally Posted by Myfitfriend View Post
    You don’t mention much about your diet and I’d say that’s one of the most important things. What’s a typical days diet?
    I haven't really been dieting the whole time I've been lifting. Probably once I started TSA is when I focused on dieting at all. But basically I was just making sure I was getting my protein. So yogurt in the morning, peanut butter for lunch, and chicken in the afternoon. Plus a protein/weight gainer shake after a workout.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've seen diets so strict as making sure to eat a tablespoon of cinnamon and olive oil a day. I just can't imagine that making any difference at all.

SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SSGBroly is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Maybe try higher reps for the pump. I had similar results like you

exped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You sound like you’re not eating enough. Track your calorie intake and eat a surplus - I’ve been seeing great gains with a 10% surplus above maintenance.

Originally Posted by exped View Post
    You sound like you’re not eating enough. Track your calorie intake and eat a surplus - I’ve been seeing great gains with a 10% surplus above maintenance.
    I used to eat at a significant surplus but I just started to look fat, not toned. Maybe I was eating too much. Is 10% more than your base the golden percentage?

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by warhawk373 View Post
    I used to eat at a significant surplus but I just started to look fat, not toned. Maybe I was eating too much. Is 10% more than your base the golden percentage?
    If you're gaining more than 2 or 3 pounds a MONTH in a bulk, you're just begging for extra fat...

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    If you're gaining more than 2 or 3 pounds a MONTH in a bulk, you're just begging for extra fat...
    I never thought about that. After a quick search, it says gaining 1.5 lbs. a month is optimal. Is that correct? I really think that could be my problem now that you brought it to my attention.

Registered User risingstarl96a1's Avatar
    risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just Eat, Sleep, Work, Gym, Eat, Sleep, Work, Gym, Eat.

But serious though. If your putting out a lot of energy and work stupid crazy. You need to compensate for the loss of energy. Have a little bit more Surplus Calorie Intake. Fat is just Fat when you bulk. Then cut and drink a lot of water.