molokay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I stopped losing fat - How do I get out of plateau?

Greetings fellow bodybuilders:

I am in need of assistance in regards to my weight (fat loss), it seems to be a reached a plateau.
    Perhaps some of you will be able to shed some light.

To give a quick briefing, I am a 43 year old male with a sedentary lifestyle, 6.1 tall.
    Play tennis 3 times per week averaging 1,000 calories burn per session. Two times at night (8pm-9pm) and one in morning (from 10-12am)
    I have hypothyroidism that it is balance with medication (in theory should not affect in any way).
    Couple of years back I lost 65 lbs by dieting alone, just eating about 1,500 calories per day.
    For the past 4 months (when I started focusing again in weight loss) I have been yo-yoing between 203-208 lbs and eating about 1,500-1,700 per day (2,500 on special days like birthdays etc)
    My current diet includes proteins (all kinds) starch (mostly rice no more than 1.5 cups 2 at the most per day) and veggies, fruits specially after dinner no more than a cup or so.
    I don't drink sodas but do drink a beer here and there on the weekends, wine with dinner however, nothing that will exceed the 2,500 calories per day which would be maintenance.
    From Monday - Friday I eat out on my lunch break but I know portions and how to calculate the calories I am consuming.

Not consuming any supplements. I weight myself every day in the morning after stool and with no clothes.

The only thing I know I am not doing "correctly" is lack of sleep. I work from 10am to 7pm (work on computer= no exercise) to then get home and continue working as freelancer until 2am, often times until 4am.
    My average sleep time is 4-6 hours per night. I sleep is very light, but from 5am to 8am are the hours, for some reason I get a deep sleep and feel I recharge.

For the moment, since my schedule is super tight, my efforts are focused on tennis (which is the only thing I enjoy and counting calories.
    I know at some point I would have to join the gym (which I don't enjoy) but after I reach my goal of getting to 190 lbs.

So, as you can see it is not the best, yet sufficient to see some progress of at least a loss of 1 lbs per week.

What am I doing wrong?
    Is there another way I can approach my weigh loss?

Thanks in advanced for any assistance!
    One step at a time

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If your stall is less than a couple weeks then stick it out for at least another week. If your stall has lasted more than 3-4 weeks then you're definitely NOT in a caloric deficit and you need to eat less and/or move more.

Make sure you are hitting your minimums of 0.8g of protein and 0.4g of fat per lb of bodyweight; lower the carbs if necessary.

Also, stop measuring things by cups. You can't measure food effectively that way, everything that is not a liquid has to be weighed and tracked to the gram, otherwise you really have no idea how much you're eating.
    Last edited by xsquid99; 06-18-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    If your stall is less than a couple weeks then stick it out for at least another week. If your stall has lasted more than 3-4 weeks then you're definitely NOT in a caloric deficit and you need to eat less and/or move more.

Make sure you are hitting your minimums of 0.8g of protein and 0.4g of fat per lb of bodyweight; lower the carbs if necessary.

Also, stop measuring things by cups. You can't measure food effectively that way, everything that is not a liquid has to be weighed and tracked to the gram, otherwise you really have no idea how much you're eating.
    All of this.

I wanted to add to the discussion, but this is all you need!
    - Slow progress, is progress.
    - Losing fat is a marathon, not a race.
    - Take care of your body, you've only got one.
    - Progressive overload + good form.

Thank you gentlemen. I definitely know that I am not doing something right but I feel lost because I am using the same method and measurements that I have used before and allowed me to lose 65 lbs.
    In theory, I am supposed to have lost 2 lbs per week yet I have lost none and worse I seem to be getting steady up from 203 lbs to 208 lbs now. I use cups for measurements because it is easier to keep track, at least an approximate specially in my case that I eat out everyday (lunch). I will see how can I learn to use gram and keep track of it.

I'll try to see if I can find a nice program I can use instead of the one I am using.
    If there is one you know and it doesn't take some work for you to share, I'll appreciate that.
    I am a regular dude with little experience with these kind of stuff.

Thank you again for your comments!
    One step at a time

DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The eating out every day + not accurately tracking (cups instead of scale etc) is probably the culprit here. 100 calories here and there adds up.

Plus. Burning 1000 calories @ tennis is probably highly inaccurate imo.

Check the stickies for programs & tips.

Originally Posted by DutchTeamUltra View Post
    The eating out every day + not accurately tracking (cups instead of scale etc) is probably the culprit here. 100 calories here and there adds up.

Plus. Burning 1000 calories @ tennis is probably highly inaccurate imo.

Check the stickies for programs & tips.

Yeah, it seems to be that my measuring method is not helping. My surprise comes from using the same method before and being capable of losing 65 lbs.
    I uses lose it for caloric count. Most calculators point to the average of my tennis playing. But recently I got an Apple Watch to track my walks and tennis and it does get close to the 1,000 calories burned depending of course of the amount of exercise. The days I play doubles for one hour I burn about 600 calories. When playing singles about 1,000 and once a week I do drills for 2 hours non stop (except for a minute what break or pickup balls) and I get between 1,500 to 1,800.

I had the same doubts, and it seems to good to be true, but everywhere I looked they point to the same amount.
    One step at a time

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by molokay View Post
    The days I play doubles for one hour I burn about 600 calories. When playing singles about 1,000
    Whatever you're using to determine this is overestimating your calorie burn. If you ran a 9 minute mile solid, non-stop for an hour, you might be getting close to burning 1000 cals.

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Whatever you're using to determine this is overestimating your calorie burn. If you ran a 9 minute mile solid, non-stop for an hour, you might be getting close to burning 1000 cals.
    I am using the Apple Watch which apparently is one of the most accurate heart rate monitors (in its category) in the market.
    From reading online it seems to be that tennis is similar to High Intensive Interval Training which burn approximately 13 calories per minute.

There has to be some consensus considering that most calculators I have used before (online) seems to point to the same information, although I do understand these are approximates.

For example, On Wednesday I play with the same person, the days we play slow the watch reports 400-600 calories in one hour. The days I play a bit more intense ranges from 800-1,200.

I will still check into that, I want to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks!
    One step at a time

Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Manila209 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    there's nothing wrong with using a calorie burning hardware to know how many cals you burned. As long as you are on point with your caloric deficit and you don't eat back the calories you burned because those calorie counting hardware can be inaccurate.(most are).

If you aren't losing weight, you aren't on a deficit. Then again, you have thyroid issues so maybe you are the exception to the rule.

try to make caloric adjustments if you aren't losing weight. At 6 foot 1, you should easily be losing weight at 1700 cals. If not, then you aren't measuring correctly.

The thing is, even if the watch would say you're burning 2000 calories playing tennis.
    If you're not losing weight, either decrease calories or increase activity.
    I think, as I said earlier, it's a combination of inacurate tracking & overestimating calories burned.

Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Join a gym or start lifting.
    Spike92 is 15.
    ^ place this in your sig to remind the world that Spike92 is indeed 15 and will never be anything other than 15.

When im not hungry I eat. When Im tired I train. When I feel like giving up I push harder.

Registered User JulieForFitness's Avatar
    JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100) JulieForFitness is not very well liked. (-100)
    Hello Molokay.
    First off, it sounds like you are doing a lot of things right.
    I would really stress the importance of sleep - this is critical to your success long-term.
    Another thing I would add that hasnt been mentioned already. Whats your NEAT like and daily activity? How many steps are you taking or are you largely sedantry? The more you move in the day the easier it will be to create a calorie deficit.
    advertising not permitted on this site

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Regardless of how many daily calories you're eating---or think you're eat---if your weight loss has stalled, you're eating at maintenance calorie level, and not a deficit.

Eat less than you're currently eating; it's as simple as that.

As an aside, using nothing more than one's heart rate to attempt to measure calorie 'burn' is inaccurate, certainly not anywhere close enough on which to base one's daily nutrition. The information from fitness 'watches' and other gizmos should be viewed as entertainment only.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by molokay View Post
    accurate heart rate monitors (in its category) in the market.
    That's cute.

You have 4 months of scale data showing a loss of about 1 pounds per week per your original post. 4 months is a significant amount of data. Nothing really wrong with that kind of progress.

If you want to lose a little faster you habitually move a little more, and/or eat a little less. You can get caught up playing with electronics or focus on the basics, and the data you have regarding actual progress.

I believe that to the extent you could fit any resistance training into your lifestyle you would greatly benefit.There are many short and effective full body weights or calisthenics programs out there. Weights programs tend to be very supportive of good body composition results when dieting.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl