chocheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Please can I have your advice on my full body routine - is it too much?

Hi all,

I'm still relatively new to the gym. I'm 5'7, 122lb, wanting to gain some curves. A PT at my gym pulled together the following program for me. I literally feel like I am dying at the end of it...it's tough! I know this is because I need to build my strength and fitness. But I wondered if it may be too complex. Please can you give me your opinions. (PS I am not training with the PT, he kindly offered to pull together the program for me to do alone):

Training days - 3 times a week

Workout 1:
    Deadlift (using trap bar) - 6x4
    Superset - DB chest press/Skull crusher - 10x3 (both)
    Superset - Wide grip lat pull down/close grip upright bb row - 12x3 (both)
    Superset - Seated DB press/Reverse flys - 8x4 (both)
    Superset - High row machine/BB or DB Bicep curls - 10x3 (both)
    Superset - DB walking lunges/DB calf raises - 20x2 (both)
    Superset - BB Good Mornings/BB Squat & press - 12x2 (both)

Workout 2:
    Hack squat machine - 8x4
    Romanian deadlift - 12x3
    Superset: Incline DB press/Incline fly - 10x3 (both)
    Supserset: Low row cable/wide grip upright BB row - 12x3 (both)
    Superset: V car lat pull down/DB hammer curl - 10x3 (both)
    Superset: Standing military press/DB bent over row/bodyweight dips - 10x3, 12x3, 12x3
    Single leg extension - 10x3
    Seated calf raise - 10x3

Workout 3:
    Kettlebell goblet squat dropsets - 8x5
    DB chest press - 8x4
    DB one arm row - 10x3
    Superset: Straight arm pulldown/Cable face pull - 15x2 (both)
    Superset: DB shoulder press/DB shrugs - 8x4 (both)
    Superset: Cable bicep curl/cable tricep extension - 10x3 (both)
    Lateral raise - 10x3
    Glute kick back machine - 8x4
    DB split squats - 10x3
    Lying leg curl (machine) - 12x3

Would appreciate any advice and critique.

Thanks in advance

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes, it's too much. I would suggest getting on a program like Fierce 5 (see Workout Program section) or String Curves or Starting Strength. All 3 are full body and for beginners.

I like supersetting some exercises but, phew, the supersets above make no sense to me. Lat pulldown and rows? Good mornings and squats?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by chocheaven View Post
    Hi all,

I'm still relatively new to the gym. I'm 5'7, 122lb, wanting to gain some curves. A PT at my gym pulled together the following program for me. I literally feel like I am dying at the end of it...it's tough! I know this is because I need to build my strength and fitness. But I wondered if it may be too complex. Please can you give me your opinions. (PS I am not training with the PT, he kindly offered to pull together the program for me to do alone):

Training days - 3 times a week

Workout 1:
    Deadlift (using trap bar) - 6x4
    Superset - DB chest press/Skull crusher - 10x3 (both)
    Superset - Wide grip lat pull down/close grip upright bb row - 12x3 (both)
    Superset - Seated DB press/Reverse flys - 8x4 (both)
    Superset - High row machine/BB or DB Bicep curls - 10x3 (both)
    Superset - DB walking lunges/DB calf raises - 20x2 (both)
    Superset - BB Good Mornings/BB Squat & press - 12x2 (both)

Workout 2:
    Hack squat machine - 8x4
    Romanian deadlift - 12x3
    Superset: Incline DB press/Incline fly - 10x3 (both)
    Supserset: Low row cable/wide grip upright BB row - 12x3 (both)
    Superset: V car lat pull down/DB hammer curl - 10x3 (both)
    Superset: Standing military press/DB bent over row/bodyweight dips - 10x3, 12x3, 12x3
    Single leg extension - 10x3
    Seated calf raise - 10x3

Workout 3:
    Kettlebell goblet squat dropsets - 8x5
    DB chest press - 8x4
    DB one arm row - 10x3
    Superset: Straight arm pulldown/Cable face pull - 15x2 (both)
    Superset: DB shoulder press/DB shrugs - 8x4 (both)
    Superset: Cable bicep curl/cable tricep extension - 10x3 (both)
    Lateral raise - 10x3
    Glute kick back machine - 8x4
    DB split squats - 10x3
    Lying leg curl (machine) - 12x3

Would appreciate any advice and critique.

Thanks in advance
    This mish-mash is horrendous; it's far too screwed-up to 'fix.'

Junk the entire thing and, as advised above, start on this well-structured beginner program:

Fierce 5 Novice routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To put things into perspective. Because a lot of us think more exercises, more volume = more potential and more growth.

How are you planning to progress on so many exercises?

It is too much to keep increasing the weight, reps over time.

One good reason fierce 5 is suggested is because it is manageable progression.

Doing too much will just keep you held back, stuck in the low weight, set, rep ranges because you are gassed after 5-6 exercises.

And that is not even addressing the potential for injury and imbalances.

I just wanted to give you a more indepth reason for why your program is not optimal nor recommended.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG
    I don't go to the gym anymore so above stats are useless.

Only do weighted calastentics in the comfort of my own home!

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

chocheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Junsuiakai View Post
    To put things into perspective. Because a lot of us think more exercises, more volume = more potential and more growth.

How are you planning to progress on so many exercises?

It is too much to keep increasing the weight, reps over time.

One good reason fierce 5 is suggested is because it is manageable progression.

Doing too much will just keep you held back, stuck in the low weight, set, rep ranges because you are gassed after 5-6 exercises.

And that is not even addressing the potential for injury and imbalances.

I just wanted to give you a more indepth reason for why your program is not optimal nor recommended.

Hi, thank you for your response.

A PT at the gym pulled together these workouts for me. I am a newbie so really had no idea where to start.

I've looked at Fierce 5 and Strong Curves and am favouring Strong Curves at the moment...or do you think this is bad choice?

My nutrition is a major flaw too and I really need to work on that and start tracking my macros.

I guess the main issue here is that I'm a naturally skinny female (with a tummy!) and whilst a lot of women train to lose fat and gain muscle, I can't afford to be losing too much fat (except the tummy) so it's a lot harder choosing the right program, especially when you have no idea where to start.

Help from all you guys is really much appreciated!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by chocheaven View Post
    I guess the main issue here is that I'm a naturally skinny female (with a tummy!) and whilst a lot of women train to lose fat and gain muscle, I can't afford to be losing too much fat (except the tummy) so it's a lot harder choosing the right program, especially when you have no idea where to start.
    I'm not Junsuiakai, but it's very likely that your 'tummy' isn't fat but instead is weak, untrained abdominal muscles, allowing your innards to press outwards.

Most regulars here advise F5, since it's well-supported in these forums if trainees have questions about it, or experience some issue or problem once they get under way with it.

Strong Curves gets a lot of positive response in this particular forum as well, and while I'm not familiar enough with it to recommend it over F5, I respect the knowledge and experience of those who do and post here regularly.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 06-26-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000) FlamingHomer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    This mish-mash is horrendous; it's far too screwed-up to 'fix.'

Junk the entire thing and, as advised above, start on this well-structured beginner program:

Fierce 5 Novice routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    yeah basically came in here to say this - heard great things about fierce 5.
    https://spiritshealthy.com/