BeardyBobby is on a distinguished road. (+10)

The “getting better at bench pressing with a messed up AC-joint” routine

Hi there,

I am pretty bad at bench pressing and always was. I am lifting weights for about 10-11 years and powerlifting orientated like 8-9 years. I was always a fan of squats and deadlifting. Bench was always the “have to do” exercise. After all those years I want to strengthen my upper body. But an injurie of my AC-joint is bothering me.

Short profile

32 years old
    weight: 90-95kg (198-209lbs) alternating
    height: 183cm (6ft)
    8-9 years powerlifting orientated training experience
    gym: commercial gym

All time 1 rep max PRs:

Squat: 190kg (420lbs)
    Bench: 120kg (265lbs)
    Deadlift: 230kg (507 lbs) conventional with ****tyish form
    220kg (485 lbs) Sumo with textbook form

Now after a 2-month break and after 5-6 sessions I am like:

Squat: 170kg (375lbs)
    Bench: 90kg (198lbs)
    Deadlift: 180kg (400lbs) conv.
    190kg (420lbs) Sumo

Injurie
    Since I popped out my collarbone at a deadlift session in 2016, everything about my bench was getting even worse. (Every time I roll my left shoulder, it sounds/feels like a grinding gear)
    A year ago, my left AC-joint started to bother me again after a year of a strong elbow-tucking technique of bench pressing. At this time, I felt the strongest because of the good feel of lat-activation and the resulting stability when the bar hits the chest. With this technique I set my all time PR.
    Now every session I am going above 80kg my shoulder (AC-Joint) starts to hurt and I am stuck at very low numbers, which is depressing and inflicts the rest of my training and overall motivation. When the weight starts to get “challenging” my elbow tuck starts because my body/subconscious want to get into its strongest position.
    Putting my feet on the bench and flatten my chest onto the bench, lessen the pain (a bit) but when it gets heavy my butt shoots of the bench to make a arched/decline position and elbow tuck starts.

Just visit the doctor!
    Seeing a doctor doesn’t help. Here in Germany they tell you “just stop lifting doofus”… OK thanks doc… They are not doing any surgery on people that do not need it for work like professional athletes etc.

i.imgur.com /tBnfmQ5.png

Idea of my new routine

I want to make a Routine where I focus on the “best bench assist movements” I can do without pain, to get a better “bench basis” with as less competition style bench pressing as possible (because its depressing). I will test my Bench every 1-2 month.

Movements

Arms
    Weighted dips are causing no pain (?!?!?!) which I don’t understand, but ok I won’t complain. I will throw them in every session. + Hammer curls to prevent elbow pain.

Back
    Back exercises will be focused on lat pull downs and chin ups to get a stronger lat to keep my shoulders in place and stop them from raising towards my ears (I can’t keep my shoulders in place every time especially when reaching maxes) .

Shoulders
    Every kind of pushing up, like overhead press is causing no pain.
    OHP and standing one arm barbell press will be my go to for making my shoulders stronger.

Chest
    Incline DB press and DB flys

Lower body
    To maintain lower body strength I will do 2/3 times squats and 0,66/3 conventional deads and 0,33/3 Sumo deads to maintain technique. Only if I am working out 2 days in a row (the “weekend only routine”) I will do the lower body part at the second day.

Boundary conditions

Background
    I am working and coming home late + have a family, which limits my training sessions to 1-2 sessions a week (at the moment), which are 2-3h long. This is like a maintain only volume. However, that is what I am able to do at the moment (haters gonna hate).

Warming up

I am always starting with the BIG movement (deadlifts and squats)
    I am always starting with an empty bar adding weight after every set. Coming closer to my working set the steps getting smaller example:

Squat
    5x20kg (44 lbs) (bar only)
    5x60kg (132 lbs)
    5x100kg (220 lbs)
    5x120kg (265 lbs)
    3x130kg (286 lbs)
    3x140kg (308 lbs)
    2x145kg (320 lbs)

Working sets
    3x5 150kg (330lbs) with 5-15 minutes rest between sets (LOL iam old)

My routine will be a one-day only routine and will only change if I am working out 2 days in a row

The Routine

Main Day

BIG movement, up to a 3x5 (starting strength style)
    OHP 3x5 sets OR one arm DB press 3x5 sets
    Incline DB press 4x8-12
    weighted dips 4-5 sets x 4-6 reps
    DB flys 3x8
    chin ups OR pull downs 4-5 sets
    Curls 4x8-12

2 Days in a Row (Weekend)

A
    OHP 4x5 sets
    one arm overhead press 4x5 sets
    weighted Dips 4-5 sets x 4-6 reps
    floorpress/pin press 3-5 sets x 5 reps
    DB flys 4x6-8

B
    BIG working up to a 3x5
    stiff leg DL 4 stets
    chin ups 4 sets
    lat pull 4 sets
    hammer curls 3-4 sets

Pls comment any thoughts and experiences with similar Injurie background etc.
    A non-native english speaker here, pls do not get cancer…
    Last edited by BeardyBobby; 06-17-2018 at 03:00 PM.