sphyrch is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Imbalanced Pull ups

Background: I'm not strong enough to do full pull ups yet. I can do ledge pull ups (up to 6 or 7 reps), but without lowering myself all the way down - sort of like half pull ups. With the proper form though, wherein I fully straighten out my body before doing a rep, I can do at most 2 reps.

Any more attempts (even after a rest period), and I notice that my right arm has far more strength and my body significantly tilts to the right while getting even the top of my head (let alone the chin) up to the pull up bar. When I try to put more exertion on my left arm during the pull up, it puts a lot of strain on my shoulder and the top of my bicep. Is this normal? Should I keep trying to put more and more load on my left arm?

If not, are there any suggestions on how I can correct the imbalance? Should I stick to half pull ups and gradually lower my body more and more as I get used to it? Thanks in advance.

TotheMaximum10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How long have you been lifting? Is your right arm stronger in general?

If you're a newbie to lifting and your right arm isn't really that much stronger then I suggest you keep at it. One tip I'd give to new people to pull ups is to do them anytime you can. If you want to improve pull ups and can only do 2-3 at a time with good form then do two or three every time you're near a pull up bar. Leg day? Go hit some pull ups in the middle of your sets. Arm day? Pull ups. Chest? Pull ups. Within a couple weeks you should be improving drastically.

CarlieKriske is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You shouldn't do imbalance pull-ups because it will give your body a bad shape because one side will do work and another side wouldn't that will cause bad shape for you. You should do less amount of pull-ups at start because if you can't do more then, you should stop. After a few work, you will be able to do more pull-ups with full balance.

Originally Posted by TotheMaximum10 View Post
    How long have you been lifting? Is your right arm stronger in general?

If you're a newbie to lifting and your right arm isn't really that much stronger then I suggest you keep at it. One tip I'd give to new people to pull ups is to do them anytime you can. If you want to improve pull ups and can only do 2-3 at a time with good form then do two or three every time you're near a pull up bar. Leg day? Go hit some pull ups in the middle of your sets. Arm day? Pull ups. Chest? Pull ups. Within a couple weeks you should be improving drastically.
    I've been lifting since 6-7 months or so. And yeah my right arm is stronger in general too. For example, when I lift the 25 kg weights to put on machines, I have to predominantly hold them with my right arm. If I predominantly use my left arm, I have slightly more difficulty carrying the weight around.

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sphyrch View Post
    I've been lifting since 6-7 months or so. And yeah my right arm is stronger in general too. For example, when I lift the 25 kg weights to put on machines, I have to predominantly hold them with my right arm. If I predominantly use my left arm, I have slightly more difficulty carrying the weight around.
    Try and use the same weight, for each arm. Don't try and compensate.

I honestly don't know the best way to progress on pull-ups.

Deadlifts blew my pull-ups up, as well as losing fat.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000)
    you should probably just start with doing australian pull ups to build the basic strength and form required for pull ups. pull ups is actually a bit more advanced than most people think and if you haven't learned how to even prevent energy leaks to prevent your body from having excess and unwanted movements such as torquing and swinging then you should start looking into it now or when you have time. also most new and even some old gym members that looks like have been working out for 3+ years tends to assume that hunching forward is the way to exercise their back. if that's what you've been doing then you need to learn how to keep your core tight, chest up, and get your shoulders back and down. when pulling yourself up it's like you're trying to get your sternum and the bar to touch with your back arched(but not super excessively arched though). there are also different hand grips styles that you can try to see if it'll help, some people do pull ups with their thumb above the bar, some people wrap their thumb around the bar, and also there's a grip called "pistol grip", it doesn't seem to be very well known but just look it up, try it out, and pick the one that seems to work best for you.

Originally Posted by blazy4lyfe View Post
    you should probably just start with doing australian pull ups to build the basic strength and form required for pull ups. pull ups is actually a bit more advanced than most people think and if you haven't learned how to even prevent energy leaks to prevent your body from having excess and unwanted movements such as torquing and swinging then you should start looking into it now or when you have time. also most new and even some old gym members that looks like have been working out for 3+ years tends to assume that hunching forward is the way to exercise their back. if that's what you've been doing then you need to learn how to keep your core tight, chest up, and get your shoulders back and down. when pulling yourself up it's like you're trying to get your sternum and the bar to touch with your back arched(but not super excessively arched though). there are also different hand grips styles that you can try to see if it'll help, some people do pull ups with their thumb above the bar, some people wrap their thumb around the bar, and also there's a grip called "pistol grip", it doesn't seem to be very well known but just look it up, try it out, and pick the one that seems to work best for you.
    Thanks for the advice! And you're right about the swinging bit. I tend to do that a lot - swing forward and back while doing pull ups.