Closed Thread
    davidchan669 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post Problem with gaining weight

Hi guys i've been wanting to bulk for the longest time in my life, and i can't seem to gain weight a lot of people just tell me to "eat more and you'll gain weight" but I feel like it's not working out, I have a naturally very high metabolism due to my extreme eating habits as I was growing up plus natural genetics and also I always did some sort of cardiovascular activity in school but recently over the years before i hit the gym my eating habits have slowly gone downhill.

The main problem now is when i started gyming I was a standard newbie, like 6 months in gym making newbie gains and I did a bulk of what i thought was 2.7k to 3k calories (I did not calculate it) and I was eating every 2-3 hours because of how hungry I was and I was always had the idea that the more meals you eat the more quicker your metabolism will work the more muscle you will gain... stuff like that. Well on this 3k calorie bulk I was on I could never gain any weight, the only weight i gained was water weight and stuff, I was 150lb by the way when I was doing this bulk. The only way that made me gain weight to 165lb was eating dirty food (literally a bucket of kfc) which consisted of about what i thought was an extra 2k- 2.5k calories and this made me gain about 1lb to 1.5lb everytime i did this. Eventually it took me 5months to gain a solid 15lb of what I thought was around 10lb of pure muscle since I still had abs but just it just wasnt as visible near the end of the bulk. So i thought I had to take 4k-5k calories just to gain weight right? Well a few days ago my friend introduce me to a fantastic app called myfitnesspal which i never knew about till he showed me, and i decided to put in all the food i was eating when i was bulking into the list plus the dirty food that i occasionally ate to gain weight. it turns out the meals i ate on a daily basis was already 4.8k calories and that the dirty food i ate was 3.3k calories, this meant that i had to eat at least 7.5k to 8k calories to gain any sort of weight. I'm just wondering if anyone can share insight of why this is happening to me, I'm also currently on a cut right now and i'm losing weight on a 3k calorie diet.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    lol @ needing to eat 8k calories to gain weight. You obviously aren't tracking correctly.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You don't have a high metabolism you're just an under eater like every other person who says they have a high metabolism.

You can clearly gain weight because you have in the past on your KFC bucket diet, lol.

There is no such food as dirty food, unless you dropped it on the floor. The idea that you only can eat "clean" foods is half the reason why you are not eating enough, as you'll get full fast if all you're eating is "clean" foods. I made the same mistake, used to eat only "clean foods" 3000 cals of that made me uncomfortably full, get throw in some burgers, chocolate, biscuits etc as one of my meals and 4000 cals is easy.

You need to track your cals. Like every other habitual under eater you are over estimating your calorie intake, just like every habitual over eater, under estimates their calorie intake. You "guess" you were 2.7-3K cals, I guarantee you were nowhere near that. I first guessed I must have been eating enough too, must of been 2.5-3K cals, after tracking for the first time I was on 1.5-1.7k cals, lol. You can't expect consistent results if you are not consistent with your method.

And if you can't gain weight, why are you cutting? Obviously because you gained more weight than you wanted. As for your myfitnesspal results, I assume again it's your inconsistent methodology that makes you falsely think you consumed 8K cals. Did you weigh everything? Did you eat and drink everything as I know some under eaters who can't even finish a McD's meal but count the whole meals cals when they ate half the burger, left half the fries and didn't finish the drink. They buy an 800-1000 cal meal and eat about 400 cals then wonder why they can't gain weight, lol.
    Bench -216lbs
    Squat - 268lbs
    Deadlift - 375lbs
    OHP - 134lbs

The app doesn't seem to calculate anything wrong, my friend does his calculations on it and is working fine for him, and I don't eat just half my foods since i enjoy everything i eat. I know it sounds ridiculous the amounts I eat and how it seems impossible but that's what i'm thinking as well and just wondering what is wrong with what i'm doing. I've attached a my meal plans about what I eat everyday, and it's not even a "hard" food plan to follow since it just consists of a standard breakfast/lunch/dinner with shakes/snacks taken throughout the day.
    Attached Images

DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by davidchan669 View Post
    The app doesn't seem to calculate anything wrong, my friend does his calculations on it and is working fine for him, and I don't eat just half my foods since i enjoy everything i eat. I know it sounds ridiculous the amounts I eat and how it seems impossible but that's what i'm thinking as well and just wondering what is wrong with what i'm doing. I've attached a my meal plans about what I eat everyday, and it's not even a "hard" food plan to follow since it just consists of a standard breakfast/lunch/dinner with shakes/snacks taken throughout the day.
    Weigh everything to the gram, using a scale.
    And I mean everything, oils, drinks, peanutbutter, whatever.
    None of this "cups, serving size, tablespoon" sh*t.
    I guarantee you, you'll find that you're eating less than you think you are.
    - Slow progress, is progress.
    - Losing fat is a marathon, not a race.
    - Take care of your body, you've only got one.
    - Progressive overload + good form.

formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Need veggies in there.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    lol @ needing to eat 8k calories to gain weight. You obviously aren't tracking correctly.
    lol this.

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Learn how to weight and eat your food.

Inputting data into my fitness pal won't help you gain weight.

Everything i placed into myfitnesspal was the stuff i weighted before i used myfitnesspal. So everything i placed in there is realistic maybe even slightly less since i kinda lowered some of the portions i took just in case i overestimated my calories.

BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Everything i placed into myfitnesspal was the stuff i weighted before i used myfitnesspal. So everything i placed in there is realistic maybe even slightly less since i kinda lowered some of the portions i took just in case i overestimated my calories.
    But you gained weight right? You are cutting now because you gained weight. The idea you can't gain weight is false because your doing a cut now.

So even if you are correct in your tracking and you ate 8000 cals or so, the idea you must eat this much to gain is false because you did gain weight. Sounds like you could be going from one extreme to another. Under eating then thinking you can't gain weight, then massively over eating and gaining too much fat with the muscle and now needing to cut.
    Bench -216lbs
    Squat - 268lbs
    Deadlift - 375lbs
    OHP - 134lbs

formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You ate over 2 lbs of chicken for lunch? You're missing something bud

Originally Posted by BrightonBomber View Post
    But you gained weight right? You are cutting now because you gained weight. The idea you can't gain weight is false because your doing a cut now.

So even if you are correct in your tracking and you ate 8000 cals or so, the idea you must eat this much to gain is false because you did gain weight. Sounds like you could be going from one extreme to another. Under eating then thinking you can't gain weight, then massively over eating and gaining too much fat with the muscle and now needing to cut.
    I'm cutting because my goal was to hit 75kgs before going on a cut, and I hit it. I'm not saying i have a trouble gaining weight, it's more that what I have to eat to gain weight, i'm just wondering why I have to eat a lot to gain weight. If I had mistaken my calorie intake and i've actually been eating a lot less than i calculated I could understand why I didn't gain weight but i'm like 99% positive they're all calculated right since I used all the brands I was using plus the correct measurements that I took with correct servings. I use to weight all my foods to make sure i was eating a sufficient amount (I didn't calculate the macros just made sure I ate a lot of everything when i did eat) so i'm quite positive its right. The problem is when I do gain weight i'm not gaining weight as easily as others in a normal bulk. I gained 13pounds in 20weeks and thats normal but I had to eat an extreme amount of calories to get it plus it was mostly muscle since i went from 14% b.f to 17% b.f, while my friend complained to me that him eating 3.3k calories by accident coz he calculated his macros wrong for 1month gained him 22pounds (mostly fat).

Originally Posted by formicaman View Post
    You ate over 2 lbs of chicken for lunch? You're missing something bud
    my country sells packed raw chicken breast (3 in a container) weighing in between 300g to 390g each. I really love eating chicken, literally the main thing I eat plus I stock up on at least 10-15 packets of them when they go on sale. So I do eat over 2lbs of chicken for dinner yes.

I'm cutting because my goal was to hit 75kgs before going on a cut, and I hit it. I'm not saying i have a trouble gaining weight, it's more that what I have to eat to gain weight, i'm just wondering why I have to eat a lot to gain weight. If I had mistaken my calorie intake and i've actually been eating a lot less than i calculated I could understand why I didn't gain weight but i'm like 99% positive they're all calculated right since I used all the brands I was using plus the correct measurements that I took with correct servings. I use to weight all my foods to make sure i was eating a sufficient amount (I didn't calculate the macros just made sure I ate a lot of everything when i did eat) so i'm quite positive its right. The problem is when I do gain weight i'm not gaining weight as easily as others in a normal bulk. I gained 13pounds in 20weeks and thats normal but I had to eat an extreme amount of calories to get it plus it was mostly muscle since i went from 14% b.f to 17% b.f, while my friend complained to me that him eating 3.3k calories by accident coz he calculated his macros wrong for 1month gained him 22pounds (mostly fat).
    Most people advise to look to gain 1-2lbs per month naturally to avoid excess fat gain, you're gaining 2.8lbs per month so it's pretty clear you don't need to eat crazy amounts to gain weight as you are gaining at a faster pace than most recommend. So the idea that you need 8K cals to bulk is false, you could bulk on a lower calorie intake it would just take longer to hit your target weight, but then you could bulk for longer and cut less afterwards as you wouldn't of gained so much excess body fat.
    Bench -216lbs
    Squat - 268lbs
    Deadlift - 375lbs
    OHP - 134lbs

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    my country sells packed raw chicken breast (3 in a container) weighing in between 300g to 390g each. I really love eating chicken, literally the main thing I eat plus I stock up on at least 10-15 packets of them when they go on sale. So I do eat over 2lbs of chicken for dinner yes.
    No you don't eat a kilo of chicken for lunch/dinner, simple as that.

Two things to note:

1. You're not eating 8,000 calories.
    2. If you're not gaining weight, eat more.
    “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” -Robert Cheeke

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Enough of this. If you're not gaining weight, you aren't eating enough, regardless of how much you're eating---or think you're eating now.

Nothing else can be said except to eat more food. If you can't seem to do that, then you need to see a doctor; you have a problem that no one on any internet site can correct.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733