abcd438 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Part Time Personal Training with FT career?

I currently have a full-time job, working normal hours at 7AM-5PM (8 or 9 a few nights of the year) in finance. I enjoy what I do and make an excellent salary doing it. I was certified through Equinox for personal training (while studying for my full-time MBA), passed NCSF with flying colors, and would love to maintain a part-time job as a personal trainer. I am 100% committed to providing quality instruction for clients on a few evenings a week and all weekends.

Not doing PT for money and I don't really care how many clients I have, as long as I can provide sound instruction 2-3x a week and coach their progress. (Trainers sometimes end up part-time because they lack the dedication, education, or charisma to attract more clients, but that will not be the case in my situation.)

Giving up a few weeknights and all of my weekends to train, provided it does not interfere with my actual career, is fine by me. Has anyone else pursued fitness part-time? Is it possible to maintain both, provided the trainer is passionate and organized? What kinds of hours could I schedule with clients? (most Equinoxes in NYC open at 5AM, close at 10PM.)

Any thoughts/opinions?
    Last edited by abcd438; 06-15-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Hypertrophy505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I will be in the same situation as you so I am curious about this as well.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Many people have done this. But a man who chases two rabbits goes hungry. At some point you must decide which will be your career, and focus on that.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by abcd438 View Post
    Not doing PT for money and I don't really care how many clients I have, as long as I can provide sound instruction 2-3x a week and coach their progress. (Trainers sometimes end up part-time because they lack the dedication, education, or charisma to attract more clients, but that will not be the case in my situation.)

You don't care how much money you may earn. You don't care how many clients you may acquire. You don't lack dedication, education or charisma.

The question must then be asked.... Why are you asking about client hours?
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My biggest concern with people who do this, is that doing this part time will not yield the experience or the time to do enough continuing education to make you a really high quality trainer. Especially if your actual career is no no way related to training.

TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im in a similar situation 35 years old with a full time career in Health risk management in the private health insurance field for over 10 years and recently became a certified personal trainer and athlete nutritionist. (Yes I do still ask advice on this forum regarding nutrition as im bad at sticking to plans for myself and tend to change things up too often LOL, I get bored easily, not with eating the same thing but the same routine, but anyway that's off topic LOL)

I initially wanted to study just to better my understanding of training technique and movement etc for myself but over the past year while studying and doing my practical hours with other personal trainers, I decided I enjoy this and want to start training after hours on the side. Start small and see where it goes basically. I at least have some background in health and wellness and in my job I can see the need for healthy lifestyle changes and I really am passionate about helping people, not in it for money, the money I get from training can go into more equipment for my garage gym LOL, if I can make enough, maybe renovations and build a dedicated gym on my property, we have enough space for it but its not affordable at the moment.

Sorry for the hijack but I can relate to your situation.