Thread: Lower back pain

Mbcx is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lower back pain

I work an 8-5 desk job during the day and don't have time afterwards to get to a gym, so bought myself a squat rack and adjustable dumbbells. Also attached a cheap pulley that I mainly use for leg curls for hamstrings. Been using this 4 day rotation for a few months. I really enjoy it, but my lower back has been hurting alot lately.

Day 1:
    3 x 5 back squats
    3 x 8 barbell calf lifts
    3 x 5 Romanian deadlifts
    3 x 8 leg curls
    Weighted side planks and regular planks
    15 minutes jog at 6mph

Day 2:
    3 x 5 bench press
    3 x 5 close grip bench press
    3 x 5 incline bench press
    3 x 5 overhead press
    3 x 8 lateral dumbbell raises
    15 minute jog at 6mph

Day 3:
    2 x 5 deadlift
    3 x 5 bent over barbell row
    3 x 5 weighted wide grip pullups
    3 x 8 shrugs
    3 x 8 dumbbell bicep curls
    15 minute jog at 6mph

Day 4:
    Rest

Prior to starting this routine I had been bouncing around between a home machine and dumbbells for about a year but not really sticking to a plan.

First couple months on this routine I was happy. Saw progress and enjoyed the lifts that I was doing for the first time. I never really got into weightlifting when younger.

Couple weeks ago my lower back started hurting. Took about 4 days off, started the routine again and back pain came back. I'm currently taking another week off, but I plan on changing a couple things when I start lifting again. The pain hasn't gone away for the last 4 days or so.

1. Going to reduce weight and increase reps on all exercises that I think may be causing some of my back pain. Deadlift, bent over row, Romanian deadlifts, squats, overhead press (I know ohp isn't a lower back exercise but I actually often feel pain there unless I wear a belt and really concentrate on keeping my core tight)

2. Going to work on my form. Probably record myself lifting to see what I'm doing wrong. I have a feeling I am curving my back slightly on the deadlift. With the lower weight and higher reps I'm hoping I'll be able to improve my form.

3. Will try to warm up better. I do a few warm up reps for the big compound exercises but nothing serious. Thinking maybe I'll try to almost break a sweat before I even hit the weights.

My worry is that with all the years at a desk job and sitting with poor posture that this may be a problem that doesn't go away. How does my plan for correcting my back pain look? Any other suggestions?

Registered User JeremyM07201978's Avatar
    JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Consistent back pain sounds a lot like an injury. Lighter weights at more reps will not solve the problem if that is the case. It's not easy to do, but you might take a longer period of time off and maybe get advice from a doctor.

Originally Posted by JeremyM07201978 View Post
    Consistent back pain sounds a lot like an injury. Lighter weights at more reps will not solve the problem if that is the case. It's not easy to do, but you might take a longer period of time off and maybe get advice from a doctor.
    You could be right. I may be minimizing the pain because I've had much worse. I've had what I assumed was a pinched nerve about 6 months ago. Could barely move and the pain was unreal. The pain would shoot down my leg and drop me to the floor. This is nothing like that. I would say it just feels very sore, but not going away.

Registered User JeremyM07201978's Avatar
    JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mbcx View Post
    You could be right. I may be minimizing the pain because I've had much worse. I've had what I assumed was a pinched nerve about 6 months ago. Could barely move and the pain was unreal. The pain would shoot down my leg and drop me to the floor. This is nothing like that. I would say it just feels very sore, but not going away.
    Soreness and pain are 2 different things. Does the soreness go away once you are warmed up? Is it spread throughout your lower back on both sides or concentrated and intense in a specific spot? If sore, you might be looking at a form issue like you suspect. If in disruptive pain, it's possibly an injury.

I'm actually pretty sore today in my lower back, but went to the gym and the soreness melted away as I got warm. I also foam-rolled a bit to help as I got started. I expected to be sore though, because I went for my highest weight/reps on dead lift yesterday.

Might still be a good idea to take it easy and get in to see your doc given your history - especially if this is ongoing pain. Hope it all works out well for you.

Originally Posted by JeremyM07201978 View Post
    Soreness and pain are 2 different things. Does the soreness go away once you are warmed up? Is it spread throughout your lower back on both sides or concentrated and intense in a specific spot? If sore, you might be looking at a form issue like you suspect. If in disruptive pain, it's possibly an injury.

I'm actually pretty sore today in my lower back, but went to the gym and the soreness melted away as I got warm. I also foam-rolled a bit to help as I got started. I expected to be sore though, because I went for my highest weight/reps on dead lift yesterday.

Might still be a good idea to take it easy and get in to see your doc given your history - especially if this is ongoing pain. Hope it all works out well for you.
    I wouldn't say it goes away when I warm up, which is why I've taken 4 days off, but it's definitely not isolated to one spot. It's spread out as if my whole lower back is sore. I've felt soreness in my arms, legs, etc. from working out and it's never bothered me. This is different. Being sore for 4-5 days makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

I'll work on my form and see if that helps.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is a bad combo.

2 x 5 deadlift

Instead, do single arm dumbbell rows with a hand and knee on the bench to take your lower back out of the movement.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    This is a bad combo.

2 x 5 deadlift

Instead, do single arm dumbbell rows with a hand and knee on the bench to take your lower back out of the movement.
    So keep the deadlift but replace the bent over rows with single arm rows. Should I also add another back exercise that is perhaps less taxing?

tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I’d agree that on deadlift day don’t put any extra strain on the low back.

...but if you’re felling pain, get it checked with a doc.

Essentially, if you ask yourself if you should get it checked out... you should get it checked out.

Doesn’t have to be an MD, I prefer Chiro’s for most stuff, but somebody should look 8nto it for you.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mbcx View Post
    So keep the deadlift but replace the bent over rows with single arm rows. Should I also add another back exercise that is perhaps less taxing?
    Yes, change bent over rows to db single arm rows or some other movement that is not taxing on the lower back.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You have to include rolling and stretching into your workout plan. Warm up well before you get into the main part of your workout. And then spend at least 10-15 minutes after you lift on foam rolling and stretching. You have to do this. The years of sitting have most likely caused your hip flexors (psoas and iliacus) to become very tight. These muscles attach directly into your lumbar spine and wreak havoc on your lower back when they become tight.
    2007 Lightweight Masters National Champ

nc2211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by drjoe View Post
    You have to include rolling and stretching into your workout plan. Warm up well before you get into the main part of your workout. And then spend at least 10-15 minutes after you lift on foam rolling and stretching. You have to do this. The years of sitting have most likely caused your hip flexors (psoas and iliacus) to become very tight. These muscles attach directly into your lumbar spine and wreak havoc on your lower back when they become tight.
    ^^ this is the main cause for lower back pain whilst lifting, along with mis-firing or weak glutes! So many people neglect these important muscles and get all sorts of spine issues without realising how crucial these are. Focus on those regularly including strength, mobility and flexibility. I should know. been there!

I’m also missing core flexibility and mobility routine from your schedule... that is also important to maintain.