Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by waldoehf View Post
    This morning I had my lowest weigh in at 168 pounds . Although I'm happy that I'm losing weight, feel that I am weighing less than anticipated. I accounted for some of this when starting my prep, but I was really hoping not to dive to the 150s at all. Don't get me wrong, I will not stop and I'm definitely going to follow through no matter what, but I'm just curious as to what you all think about competing in men's physique at such a small size. From what I've read, most competitors who are around 5'11 compete at around 165-175lbs. Am I being over analytical?
    I struggle with that same thing man. I come in at 5-9, 150 on the button at around 7%.
    Would I like to be heavier at 7%? Fukkin rite! But you can only work with what you have. The way I see it, when I'm on bulk, I watch the scale and it's all about the weight; when I cut, it's all about the final %. So, it is what it is. I know how mentally hard it is to voluntarily get smaller in the "business" of bodybuilding. But you have to come in lean no matter what the final weight.
    As far as judging, man it could go either way. I still contemplate sacraficing some % for some size (coming in a little higher % but be a little heavier, thicker). I hear some judges like conditioning while others look for muscularity. I think if you come in around 8-9%, and let the weight be what it is, you'll do fine.
    And, after the show, don't forget to politely ask the judges what they liked and what they didn't like. Be open to criticism; ask what you need to improve on; ask about your % and weight. Would they rather have you heavier, leaner, less lean,etc...
    Most of all, have fun and learn from your first show!
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    I struggle with that same thing man. I come in at 5-9, 150 on the button at around 7%.
    Would I like to be heavier at 7%? Fukkin rite! But you can only work with what you have. The way I see it, when I'm on bulk, I watch the scale and it's all about the weight; when I cut, it's all about the final %. So, it is what it is. I know how mentally hard it is to voluntarily get smaller in the "business" of bodybuilding. But you have to come in lean no matter what the final weight.
    As far as judging, man it could go either way. I still contemplate sacraficing some % for some size (coming in a little higher % but be a little heavier, thicker). I hear some judges like conditioning while others look for muscularity. I think if you come in around 8-9%, and let the weight be what it is, you'll do fine.
    And, after the show, don't forget to politely ask the judges what they liked and what they didn't like. Be open to criticism; ask what you need to improve on; ask about your % and weight. Would they rather have you heavier, leaner, less lean,etc...
    I'd have to agree with Smokinal on this one. The number on the scale is what it is. For what it's worth, I'm 6-1 and for my last few bodybuilding shows I was around 190 and slightly less than 5% body fat (I did the dunk test for my result). Would I have liked to have been 200/205, sure, but I was definitely the leanest one on stage and the judges noticed that. I get that you can carry a slightly higher body fat for physique than bodybuilding, but you can't control your weight once you drop all the fat. Use your first show as a learning tool and then hop back in the gym and get back at it. Hopefully the next time you step on stage you'll have put on some muscle mass and you can step on stage bigger and leaner than before.

deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're totally right and I agree 100%. Thankfully, I am currently 11 weeks out and may still have time. However, as the show gets closer, I will make my final decision. It looks like there are enough shows in my area to do so if thats how things end up. I appreciate the input! Any other advice greatly appreciated
    One point;
    I wait to send in the entry fee until just before the late fee increase date. That's usually 10 to 14 days out from the show.

I do this as by 2 weeks out I'll have a pretty good idea if I'll be in condition for the show.

I learned that from my a second show. I entered early and by show day I hit the wall. I was arguing with myself on stage during prejudging as to how to hit a pose. I was even thinking of walking off stage but I did not.

Last fall I had plans to compete in two shows, October and 4 weeks late in November.
    At two weeks out from the first show I still had lower back fat and my posing coach and I both agreed I would not be ready. Two weeks later I hit the wall and didn't even want to train any more..I needed a brake badly. I just stopped prepping and didn't compete at all.. Now I'm back on track.
    Last edited by deltpecx; 07-31-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    She approached with her hand extended,. I slowly stepped back. "No" she said. "I just want to shake your hand. You're amazingly gorgeous." As she walked by me she copped a biceps feel.

1st Place Masters Over 60 Bodybuilding 2014

deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This morning I had my lowest weigh in at 168 pounds . Although I'm happy that I'm losing weight, feel that I am weighing less than anticipated. I accounted for some of this when starting my prep, but I was really hoping not to dive to the 150s at all. Don't get me wrong, I will not stop and I'm definitely going to follow through no matter what, but I'm just curious as to what you all think about competing in men's physique at such a small size. From what I've read, most competitors who are around 5'11 compete at around 165-175lbs. Am I being over analytical?
    This is your first show try not to over think this.

I don't carry a lot of size going into shows. So I have to get as shredded as possible.

Go more by what the mirror shows than what the scale shows. Then enter at your weight.

My avi was taken the day after I won Masters Over 60 at 164 pounds at 5'10"
    She approached with her hand extended,. I slowly stepped back. "No" she said. "I just want to shake your hand. You're amazingly gorgeous." As she walked by me she copped a biceps feel.

waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you all for your help!!! Seriously, having you guys with experience chime in on the situation is super insightful and really helps me keep my thoughts in check. You are all most definitely right, I just have to continue getting as lean as I can and focus on prep and not worry about the weight. Honestly, I feel pretty proud of the progress I've made when I look in the mirror, but sometimes that darned scale can get to ya XD. Just have to keep on doing my thing and putting in the work!

waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Originally Posted by deltpecx View Post
    One point;
    I wait to send in the entry fee until just before the late fee increase date. That's usually 10 to 14 days out from the show.

I do this as by 2 weeks out I'll have a pretty good idea if I'll be in condition for the show.

AMAZING idea, I will without a doubt be using this approach. I like that you entered right before the price went up too so you didn't have to pay extra to compete. Thanks so much! PS - Looking strong man, I checked out the AVI and love the Yoda face

AMAZING idea, I will without a doubt be using this approach. I like that you entered right before the price went up too so you didn't have to pay extra to compete. Thanks so much! PS - Looking strong man, I checked out the AVI and love the Yoda face
    Thanks!

Thank you all for your help!!! Seriously, having you guys with experience chime in on the situation is super insightful and really helps me keep my thoughts in check. You are all most definitely right, I just have to continue getting as lean as I can and focus on prep and not worry about the weight. Honestly, I feel pretty proud of the progress I've made when I look in the mirror, but sometimes that darned scale can get to ya XD. Just have to keep on doing my thing and putting in the work!

The scale can do that.

Lightbulb Update

Weighed in at 164.2 this morning for a new low weigh in. Things seem to be going really well. Currently eating 1700 calories per day and doing 3-4 LISS sessions per week. In order to stick to my diet, I eat the same meals every day for one week. If I'm tired of the meals by then, I just change it up for the next week. This has been helping tremendously as I get hungrier and hungrier LOL.

For whatever reason, my body seems to respond to LISS much better than HIIT. Does anyone else feel this way? My routines for these looks like this:

LISS: 30mins on stairmaster or elliptical keeping my heart rate between 135-150bpm (tracked on my apple watch during the session). Usually I'm DRENCHED in sweat afterwards.

HIIT: 5min warm up jog on the treadmill and then head over to the battle ropes. On the battle ropes, I do 10 intervals of 40 seconds medium intensity and 20 seconds of all out chaos. Pretty sweaty after this, but not as much as LISS.

Attached are progress pics from this week! Under good lighting, abs are starting to come in and other areas are leaning out too. Trying to focus on how my body looks and ignore the scale - after constantly focusing on my weight during bulk season, it can be depressing seeing the scale drop so much XD
    Attached Images

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice progress man!
    Yeah, don't worry about the scale during a cut; mostly the mirror.
    I mean I use it to track progress but I don't care what the final number is; it's all about the %
    gjdm
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

Nice progress man!
    Yeah, don't worry about the scale during a cut; mostly the mirror.
    I mean I use it to track progress but I don't care what the final number is; it's all about the %
    gjdm
    right on, hoping to get to 5% bf. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get there... :-)

Your weight will factor only in to which call you will compete.
    Along with your height.

You will be judge by how you look, conditioning, shape, size and posing.

Men's physique the focus is upper body; abs, lats, shoulders.

My strength is my conditioning not my size or lack thereof.

BRB: Abs I see. Coming in they are!
    Good progress!

I think I mentioned this already.
    Mens Physique is all about being in the pose when you turn.
    So when you turn from the back your abs should be flexed.
    When you turn to face the rear your back should be wide and flexed.

It's not like bodybuilding where you have time to set the pose.

Cool tip! Thx
    I hadn't thought about that.
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

Cool tip! Thx
    Yeah this is why its good to get a posing coach.
    I first competed in Masters Bodybuilding then switched to MP.
    I thought MP posing would be a cake walk compared to bodybuilding posing..NOT.

The small nuances in posing can make a difference in whether you place or not.
    Last edited by deltpecx; 08-14-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Cool tip! Thx
    Looking at your avi I can see how you can make that pose better to make your waist look narrower...

You want a narrow looking waist and wide shoulders from the judges view.

Great insight! I have been working on general posing and getting a feel for it. I am not super lean yet though so it can be hard to make the minor changes, therefore I am just getting comfortable with it.

One question: I've heard many times to slightly lean back when doing the back pose as it angles your back towards the judges. If so, should I lean slightly forward when doing my front pose for the same reason?

Looking at your avi I can see how you can make that pose better to make your waist look narrower...

You want a narrow looking waist and wide shoulders from the judges view.
    I'm 5 weeks out from my next show; I can use all the help I can get!!

Great insight! I have been working on general posing and getting a feel for it. I am not super lean yet though so it can be hard to make the minor changes, therefore I am just getting comfortable with it.

One question: I've heard many times to slightly lean back when doing the back pose as it angles your back towards the judges. If so, should I lean slightly forward when doing my front pose for the same reason?
    Was wondering the thoughts on this as well
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

Yes. The judges are seated below you.
    I will slightly lean back in the back pose and slightly lean forward in the front pose.

Huge tip:
    If you happen to be at the end of the line up. DO NOT pose directly forward.

Stand slightly angled, about 45 degrees to the line up, towards the judges. This allows them to see your physique from the front as if your were standing directly in front of them in the middle of the line up. They can better see your width by doing this.

I'm 5 weeks out from my next show; I can use all the help I can get!!

How did you place in the show in your avi?
    PM me

Huge tip:

Stand slightly angled, about 45 degrees to the line up, towards the judges. This allows them to see your physique from the front as if your were standing directly in front of them in the middle of the line up. They can better see your width by doing this.

Interesting! Hadn't even thought about doing this, will definitely be practicing this and leaning into my poses slightly.

what are your thoughts on hand-on-hip poses?

what are your thoughts on hand-on-hip poses?
    I looked better with my hands by my sides.

I couldn't spread my lat enough on the side with my hand on the hip. It made me look narrow.
    My strong points for Mens Physique are my abs and back.

Practice to see which way looks best for you on both sides.
    One side it might look good and the other it might not.

Use a mirror, another person who knows posing and pics.

Huge tip:

Interesting! Hadn't even thought about doing this, will definitely be practicing this and leaning into my poses slightly.
    Yeah, that's what I meant at the beginning of the thread there are lots of nuances to Mens Physique.

By angling your stance if you are on the end of the line up also allows the judges at the other end to better see your physique.

I looked better with my hands by my sides.

Use a mirror, another person who knows posing and pics.
    I have been using a mirror mainly and I think I'm going to start recording video to try and nail the vantage point of the judges too.

I have been using a mirror mainly and I think I'm going to start recording video to try and nail the vantage point of the judges too.
    Exactly!

Video will also help you see just how you are posing and what needs to be fixed.

funny how things can look so different in video when compared to the mirror XD. Perhaps it is my own view of myself that tricks myself into thinking I am more ready than I am when looking into the mirror. Video can be humbling...LOL.

Update

I appear to be stuck. My original plan was to compete on October 20th. However, the show was moved to October 13th, and I doubt that I will be ready by then. However, the last true novice NPC show offered in Michigan takes place on November 3rd, just 3 weeks later. The same goes for Ohio, which would be my only other real option.

Now I am faced with the problem that I may not be ready by then. I am unsure of what to do at this point besides continue prep. However, as far as the show goes, what would you all recommend? I was thinking mid november would most likely be best for me but as things get closer, I need to plan accordingly.

I appear to be stuck. My original plan was to compete on October 20th. However, the show was moved to October 13th, and I doubt that I will be ready by then. However, the last true novice NPC show offered in Michigan takes place on November 3rd, just 3 weeks later. The same goes for Ohio, which would be my only other real option.

Now I am faced with the problem that I may not be ready by then. I am unsure of what to do at this point besides continue prep. However, as far as the show goes, what would you all recommend? I was thinking mid november would most likely be best for me but as things get closer, I need to plan accordingly.
    That's 7 weeks out.
    I would see how I looked just before the late registration fee date.
    Then decide whether or not to enter the 10/13 show.
    It might be good stage practice.

It comes down to two things IMO;
    conditioning and money; entrance fees, NPC fee, tanning fees and motel room.

In 2014 I competed in two shows.
    The first was in Masters Mens Physique Over 45 in mid May. The second was in
    Masters Over 60 BB the last weekend of June, 6 weeks after the first show.
    I came in better condition for the second show.
    See avi.
    <<<

Last fall I planned to compete in two shows.. Wasn't in condition for the first show. Then I continued to prep for the second...and then I hit the wall. I didn't want to train or even go to the gym. So just bagged competing for 2017.

TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TPlain24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

This was a great advice for me, my first comp is next month and I for certain have had these concerns!