Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50)

First Competition

Hey All!

Another first time competitor over here! My name is Everett and am 20 years old. I am about 5'11" and just under 190lbs. BF estimate- 14% Been training for a few years now and I am preparing for my first men's physique competition. I am eyeballing one in late October. Not only was I going to cut anyways, but with the possibility of studying abroad, I would most likely have to wait another 2 years or so if I don't compete this year. I've decided to go in it without a coach, however I know a few guys who have competed in the past who are willing to help out here and there. I feel well prepared at this point due to my pretty heavy research on the subject. Looking to compete in men's novice.

Anyways, I would love to hear about some personal experiences concerning things to avoid/any tips you may have, especially relating to show day! I plan to visit a few shows over the next few months, but I know everything will be different as a competitor.

Current cutting macros:

200P
    230C
    75F

Attached are some pics of me within the last 2 weeks. The side arm isn't the best angle, but oh well.
    Attached Images

WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Be prepared for the expenses
    -NPC Card-$120
    -Show entry fee-$85-100
    -Spray Tan-$100 (if getting done at the show)

Other than that, start your cut now and come in as conditioned as possible a couple weeks before your show so you aren't stressing those last two weeks. I would recommend a coach for your first show, just to make peak week and everything else smoother-as you cut, you will feel small and start second guessing yourself
    *Prep coach/Cert.Personal trainer-contact for online training
    *Instagram: amythewolf
    *Texas Crew

waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50) waldoehf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    From my research, I had estimated about the same cost for the show. I really appreciate the reminder, always a good idea to make sure money isnt a problem! XD. I just started my cut last week and am hoping to be ready about two weeks before my show to ensure I will be ready. Correct me if im wrong, but I have to pay for each division I enter, right? Thinking novice and mens open for the experience. What do you think?

TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by waldoehf View Post
    From my research, I had estimated about the same cost for the show. I really appreciate the reminder, always a good idea to make sure money isnt a problem! XD. I just started my cut last week and am hoping to be ready about two weeks before my show to ensure I will be ready. Correct me if im wrong, but I have to pay for each division I enter, right? Thinking novice and mens open for the experience. What do you think?
    Usually it's a flat fee to enter one division and then another 30-40 per division you add on depending on the organization running the show. Since it's your first show, definitely novice. If you want more time on stage then you can do open for the experience and while you're at it, might as well do Junior/Collegiate for those under 21. Each time you get on stage you can work with your posing (obviously you should do that beforehand too), but use it as a learning experience and take as much away from it as you can. Good luck, the first show is always exciting.

TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by WolfBeast View Post
    Be prepared for the expenses
    -NPC Card-$120
    -Show entry fee-$85-100
    -Spray Tan-$100 (if getting done at the show)

Other than that, start your cut now and come in as conditioned as possible a couple weeks before your show so you aren't stressing those last two weeks. I would recommend a coach for your first show, just to make peak week and everything else smoother-as you cut, you will feel small and start second guessing yourself
    I would disagree with this. If you are just going to do one show and then take a couple of years off, I wouldn't bother getting a coach for a one off show. It's not worth the money if you aren't going to compete regularly for at least another 2 years as you say. I'm not saying coaches aren't worth their money, they are, but for one show and then not competing for two years then save your money. Where a coach would be worth the money is say you come back after your two years and you decide you want to get back into doing physique/bodybuilding whatever, then they would be worth it for you. You can give them everything you have been doing for this show, progress pics, show pics etc. Tell them what you did, then they can help you get back on track and tweek whatever you were doing and improve on it so when you do decide to step back on stage you know you will be in good hands.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Some simple peak week advice here
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=175855331
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    Some simple peak week advice here
    I will definitely check it out, thanks! I've heard some about "Layne Norton's peak week", so I guess it's a good place to start!

UPDATE:

I have been cutting for about 2.5 weeks now. My starting weight was about 186 in the morning. My last few weigh ins have been around 177-178. I had to adjust my macros to 190P 50F and 240C for ~2,150 calories. I have been making consistent progress with my weigh ins, but want to continue making sure I am not dropping weight too quickly. I have also been incorporating two 30 minute sessions of LISS cardio per week averaging about 300 calories each.

However, I realize I need to start making a posing routine now to start practicing. Any advice/tips on what has helped you guys? Thanks so much, I really appreciate the insight!

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

However, I realize I need to start making a posing routine now to start practicing. Any advice/tips on what has helped you guys? Thanks so much, I really appreciate the insight!
    Watch vids
    Video yourself so you can see what you like like; set cam 15 ft away and on the floor as this is the angle/depth judges will see you at. Make yourself look good at that angle and remember what you did to do so.
    Then, practice the posing so it looks fluid and natural.
    Set up your T-Walk and learn that routice down pat.
    You can't practice that stuff too much.
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

Watch vids
    Video yourself so you can see what you like like; set cam 15 ft away and on the floor as this is the angle/depth judges will see you at. Make yourself look good at that angle and remember what you did to do so.
    Then, practice the posing so it looks fluid and natural.
    Set up your T-Walk and learn that routice down pat.
    You can't practice that stuff too much.
    What do you consider the T walk to be? From my understanding, I was either going to be walking onstage directly from the center from behind a curtain on either side of the stage and then proceeding to the opposite side while the remaining competitors do the same. Am I missing something?

So the process rolls like this:
    ---All competitiors for a given class come out in a line for pre-judging. That's where you do your front, 1/4 turn to the right, 1/4 turn to the right etc... swap spots as called etc...

---Then, later in the day usually, you do your individual routine, known as your T-walk, where you will enter the stage from the side and pose at "stations" which form a T.

(look through this. Definitely click on "set the stage path")
    http://ocbonline.com/guidelines-mensphysique.php

Most shows will tell you ahead of time which side of the stage you will be entering from so you can start practicing your routine from the correct side. If they don't tell you ahead, ask! This is very improtant as this is what you need to get down pat.
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

maurelio18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man! I am 3 weeks post first show and let me tell you, the struggle is completely worth it.

Be prepared for the mental toll that comes with training hard (weights + cardio x2 a day, etc). My main issue was my temper. I would be in a good mood and the slightest thing would set me off.. you are about to take yourself through one of the hardest challenges and even though the rewards are worth it you need to be prepared to take a deep breath and a step back when it all becomes overwhelming. Trust me, anyone that has gone through the vigorous training of contest will tell you, IT IS DRAINING!

I would suggest making a check list detailing the reason why you are doing this to help remind yourself that it will all be worth it in the end! Remember, if it were easy everyone would do it!

If you have a significant other, make sure you have a serious conversation and let them know what to expect. It is only fair to them. Contest prep ruins relationships sometimes due to the massive discipline you MUST follow. No going out, eating whatever, doing whatever at anytime, etc.

Im open to lend more advice! dm me on insta: m_aurelio18

Good luck and kill it bro!!

---Then, later in the day usually, you do your individual routine, known as your T-walk, where you will enter the stage from the side and pose at "stations" which form a T.
    Appreciate the info. From what I've seen, NPC Men's Physique doesn't do individual routines though. From everything I've read and watched, for the show you simply walk to center stage and do a front, side, and back pose. This of course all happens after prejudging. Is there something I'm missing? Don't want to miss anything LOL

Originally Posted by maurelio18 View Post
    Be prepared for the mental toll that comes with training hard (weights + cardio x2 a day, etc).
    Thanks for the response, I really appreciate hearing about your individual experience! Did you separate your weight training and cardio? I've been doing cardio right after lifting, did you find that splitting it up worked better for you? Also, how many sessions did you find worked best with you?

maurelio18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the response, I really appreciate hearing about your individual experience! Did you separate your weight training and cardio? I've been doing cardio right after lifting, did you find that splitting it up worked better for you? Also, how many sessions did you find worked best with you?
    This is what my routing was like (Based on my work schedule):

Monday- Saturday: Fasted Cardio 20mins (HIIT) every morning, go to work (8 hours) ,lift 1.5 hrs + 30mins steady state cardio. Rest days every Sunday. Carb refeed every 4th day ( no cheat meals, i.e: candy, processed junk - Burgers and sweet potato fries were amazing)

Originally Posted by maurelio18 View Post
    This is what my routing was like (Based on my work schedule): fasted Cardio 20mins (HIIT) every morning, go to work (8 hours) ,lift 1.5 hrs + 30mins steady state cardio.
    Seems like quite a bit of cardio. I was planning on gradually increasing my cardio (30mins on stairmaster LISS) to about 4 sessions a week. Were you just eating more and using the cardio to compensate? Right now I'm only doing two sessions on the stairmaster per week. Each sessions burns about 400 calories.

deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Appreciate the info. From what I've seen, NPC Men's Physique doesn't do individual routines though. From everything I've read and watched, for the show you simply walk to center stage and do a front, side, and back pose. This of course all happens after prejudging. Is there something I'm missing? Don't want to miss anything LOL

NPC evening shows could be as you describe or the competitors come out from the side and pose in 3 different spots on the stage. One side, the middle then the other side then exit.

When I competed I would pose a side pose first then I would hit a front pose and transition to back pose in the center then the other side pose on the other side of the stage.

The prejudging is where the scores are tallied. The night show is just for show.

Practice posing a lot.
    She approached with her hand extended,. I slowly stepped back. "No" she said. "I just want to shake your hand. You're amazingly gorgeous." As she walked by me she copped a biceps feel.

1st Place Masters Over 60 Bodybuilding 2014

Originally Posted by deltpecx View Post
    NPC evening shows could be as you describe or the competitors come out from the side and pose in 3 different spots on the stage. One side, the middle then the other side then exit.

When I competed I would pose a side pose first then I would hit a front pose and transition to back pose in the center then the other side pose on the other side of the stage.

The prejudging is where the scores are tallied. The night show is just for show.

Practice posing a lot.
    Does the night show EVER come into play when considering placing? I've heard that sometimes it can have a small effect while other times it has no effect at all.

Does the night show EVER come into play when considering placing? I've heard that sometimes it can have a small effect while other times it has no effect at all.
    I've never seen the night show come into play. The judges have already tallied the scores by the night show and the decisions have been made. Some things you would see at the night show is for something like "best poser" or any extra awards they give out or the overall open categories where the winners of each division go against each other.

Originally Posted by TrainBeastMode View Post
    I've never seen the night show come into play. The judges have already tallied the scores by the night show and the decisions have been made. Some things you would see at the night show is for something like "best poser" or any extra awards they give out or the overall open categories where the winners of each division go against each other.
    I see, thanks for the info. Do all shows give out "extra" awards?

I see, thanks for the info. Do all shows give out "extra" awards?
    Every show I've competed in has given out "extra" awards. Some give out more than others and usually just depends on how big the show is.

Originally Posted by TrainBeastMode View Post
    Every show I've competed in has given out "extra" awards. Some give out more than others and usually just depends on how big the show is.
    Interesting! I had no idea! Honestly not even sure if I will place for novice or not. Just gonna give it everything and see where things go.

Update!

I have adjusted my current macros to 185P 200C and 55F. I have also slightly modified my training split. Instead of a four day split where shoulders were on their own day, I have switched to a new (push, pull, leg, rest) routine to increase frequency. Cardio 2X per week, switching between HIIT and LISS. I am currently right around 170lbs in the morning (down from ~187lbs).

Also, the competition I was gunning forward has been moved forward 1 week. Unfortunately, I may or may not be lean enough by then to enter. Therefore, I am just going to focus on prep and decide what to do as things get closer to the show.

I am not super lean yet but definitely getting there, just being patient with the process. Attached are current progress pictures, let me know if you have any suggestions!

Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braap105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have adjusted my current macros to 185P 200C and 55F. I have also slightly modified my training split. Instead of a four day split where shoulders were on their own day, I have switched to a new (push, pull, leg, rest) routine to increase frequency. Cardio 2X per week, switching between HIIT and LISS. I am currently right around 170lbs in the morning (down from ~187lbs).

Also, the competition I was gunning forward has been moved forward 1 week. Unfortunately, I may or may not be lean enough by then to enter. Therefore, I am just going to focus on prep and decide what to do as things get closer to the show. from those pics, id say you have another may 10/15 lbs to loose.

I am not super lean yet but definitely getting there, just being patient with the process. Attached are current progress pictures, let me know if you have any suggestions!
    Unless you have more then like 8+ weeks to go, i would pick a later show. You are starting to get lean but you have a long way to go to get down to stage lean. Not saying you havnt made good progress, just make sure you getting as lean as possible.
    --The hardest things in life are done the least, but provide the most

Originally Posted by Braap105 View Post
    Unless you have more then like 8+ weeks to go, i would pick a later show. You are starting to get lean but you have a long way to go to get down to stage lean. Not saying you havnt made good progress, just make sure you getting as lean as possible.
    You're totally right and I agree 100%. Thankfully, I am currently 11 weeks out and may still have time. However, as the show gets closer, I will make my final decision. It looks like there are enough shows in my area to do so if thats how things end up. I appreciate the input! Any other advice greatly appreciated

At 11 weeks out, if you are losing 1 lb per week, keeping your protein high and lifting heavy, you could be in respectable condition.

What has your weight loss looked like over the last 8 weeks?
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

At 11 weeks out, if you are losing 1 lb per week, keeping your protein high and lifting heavy, you could be in respectable condition.

What has your weight loss looked like over the last 8 weeks?
    So far I've lost ~18lbs in 7 weeks. I know it comes off faster in the beginning, but I have been trying to not lose too quickly to avoid muscle loss. I would rather find a different show a few weeks later than cut my calories so much that I begin losing muscle. On the other hand, I definitely want to be stage lean. That being said, I am gunning for this one to keep focused on a goal. If I need to adjust when the time comes, so be it.

PS: I don't want to get super off topic from the start of the thread and start spamming everyone. Do you guys think I should just start a separate thread with consistent progress updates? I've held back on posting updates on here and have gone to YouTube instead. However, if it would help, I am more than willing to do frequent updates in a separate thread. Just trying to play by the forum rules :-)

PS: I don't want to get super off topic from the start of the thread and start spamming everyone. Do you guys think I should just start a separate thread with consistent progress updates? I've held back on posting updates on here and have gone to YouTube instead. However, if it would help, I am more than willing to do frequent updates in a separate thread. Just trying to play by the forum rules :-)
    This is your thread brother! And it's about your first show and your show condition....keep em coming
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

This is your thread brother! And it's about your first show and your show condition....keep em coming
    I appreciate that!

Low Weigh In

This morning I had my lowest weigh in at 168 pounds . Although I'm happy that I'm losing weight, feel that I am weighing less than anticipated. I accounted for some of this when starting my prep, but I was really hoping not to dive to the 150s at all. Don't get me wrong, I will not stop and I'm definitely going to follow through no matter what, but I'm just curious as to what you all think about competing in men's physique at such a small size. From what I've read, most competitors who are around 5'11 compete at around 165-175lbs. Am I being over analytical?