Registered User mattfreedom2002's Avatar
    mattfreedom2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

HELP: Best foods to eat before, during, and after exercise

Hi!

So my understanding of exercise nutrition in a nutshell is: Before exercise - stock up on carbs 2-4 hours before exercise to optimise glycogen stores. During exercise - if exercise goes beyond 60 - 90 mins consuming mainly carbs with a bit of protein in a ratio of 4:1 will prolong time to exhaustion, improve performance, and decrease muscle breakdown. After exercise - immediate consumption of carbs and protein in the same 4:1 ratio after exercise will optimise speed of glycogen restoration and increase protein synthesis.

My question is what kind of natural, real food sources (not protein powders or energy bars) will provide a 4:1 ratio and are convenient for snacking on during prolonged exercise. I've recently been snacking on a few raisins every 15mins beyond 1.5 hrs and noticed a massive difference in my performance, but finding some easy snackable protein that isn't full of fat (nuts and seeds) is difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It largely depends on the level of excercise you do, but I think most people overeat. A large number of people who lift or excercise overeat believing that they need to up their energy levels in order not to collapse. I understand that some lifters need some percentage of body fat, but some just have way too much.

I eat a tablespoon of Greek Yoghurt in between, (the 0% one that begins with an F) but when I wake up I usually excercise on an empty stomach having just had coffee. I don't believe you need to eat continuously as the body can take a good amount of stress, especially if your diet is healthy. It's not just about caloric intake, it's about eating healthy, not drinking at all (like ever) etc... all things which ruin your endurance and energy levels.

But, as I said, Greek Yoghurt for me. Half a banana after my 5k and 2k runs.

Registered User mattfreedom2002's Avatar
    mattfreedom2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by RobertoTo View Post
    It largely depends on the level of excercise you do, but I think most people overeat. A large number of people who lift or excercise overeat believing that they need to up their energy levels in order not to collapse. I understand that some lifters need some percentage of body fat, but some just have way too much.

I eat a tablespoon of Greek Yoghurt in between, (the 0% one that begins with an F) but when I wake up I usually excercise on an empty stomach having just had coffee. I don't believe you need to eat continuously as the body can take a good amount of stress, especially if your diet is healthy. It's not just about caloric intake, it's about eating healthy, not drinking at all (like ever) etc... all things which ruin your endurance and energy levels.

But, as I said, Greek Yoghurt for me. Half a banana after my 5k and 2k runs.
    You're right people probably overeat, but I'm not talking in terms of weight training, I'm actually talking about skateboarding - so a blend between aerobic and anaerobic, and for many hours at a time. Of course you're right that the body can handle a lot without eating but in terms of how to optimise performance (beyond 60-90mins), starting exercise with fully stocked glycogen stores, and eating a small amount of carbs during exercise has been shown to have positive effects.

RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RobertoTo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mattfreedom2002 View Post
    You're right people probably overeat, but I'm not talking in terms of weight training, I'm actually talking about skateboarding - so a blend between aerobic and anaerobic, and for many hours at a time. Of course you're right that the body can handle a lot without eating but in terms of how to optimise performance (beyond 60-90mins), starting exercise with fully stocked glycogen stores, and eating a small amount of carbs during exercise has been shown to have positive effects.
    Since skateboarding is not particularly high intensity I think you are better off just staying hydrated, or drinking some kind of sports drink. Other than that, I don't know...