gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Do not bulk unless under 20% BF???

What are your opinions on this "rule of thumb" that I have come across several times.
    I am currently cutting and have been since mid January but do not think I'm going to make it to below 20% by June which I was hoping to be the end of my cut.
    I don't think it will be beneficial for my long term goal of muscle building to cut for more than 6 months. My plan was to transition into a bulking phase that I'm planning on lasting for at least 6 months. I'm to a level of leanness that I am overall OK with now, of course there are some areas that seem more stubborn (My lower 1/2) but I have lost about 13-15 lbs on this cut and am pretty happy with the results so I'm thinking it's time to make the switch over... just curious about others opinions on the 20% or lower OK to bulk/ over 25% need to cut "rule"

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's nonsense. Some people can't get below 20% without becoming underweight. Not many people have access to an accurate way of measuring bodyfat anyway. Under 20% is pretty lean (usually considered athletic-lean), for most people there's not much point going that low until you've built the muscle you want first, you and up having to give up that definition, and leanness again to bulk. For some people that's a hard thing to sacrifice once you've gotten there. If I remember right from when it's been brought up before, it's not so much a "rule of thumb" as one jackass trainer guy who said it based on no real evidence.

Just go by your healthy weight range, don't cut to underweight, don't bulk to overweight. Find a ~15lb range you're comfortable with gaining in (even if you do a slow 6 month bulk for 8-12lbs, I say 15 just in case you want to go bit longer, or you have higher months, doesn't hurt to have wiggle room, but it's up to you).
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There's an assumption that if you bulk with too high of a body fat, you will have poorer nutrient partitioning and will put on more fat than if you started your bulk from a leaner position.

1. There's little to no empirical evidence this is true.

2. If it is true, we don't know at what body fat percentage these factors are actually relevant. People assume 10-15% for males and I guess 20-25% for females, but this is all conjecture. It could be much higher. Greg Nuckols for example is not convinced that people need to be "that lean" to build muscle efficiently.

I personally wouldn't start a bulk if my bf% was over 25%, but that's more for vanity purposes/motivation than a conviction that I wouldn't be able to build muscle.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by gcarey3678 View Post
    What are your opinions on this "rule of thumb" that I have come across several times.
    I am currently cutting and have been since mid January but do not think I'm going to make it to below 20% by June which I was hoping to be the end of my cut.
    I don't think it will be beneficial for my long term goal of muscle building to cut for more than 6 months. My plan was to transition into a bulking phase that I'm planning on lasting for at least 6 months. I'm to a level of leanness that I am overall OK with now, of course there are some areas that seem more stubborn (My lower 1/2) but I have lost about 13-15 lbs on this cut and am pretty happy with the results so I'm thinking it's time to make the switch over... just curious about others opinions on the 20% or lower OK to bulk/ over 25% need to cut "rule"

Rather than using some arbitrary limitation put out by some unknown internet denizen, you should evaluate your own condition and how it might relate to your specific goal.

What is your mirror telling you to do?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733