somefella31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somefella31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somefella31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somefella31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somefella31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should i get an olympic bar if im weak.

So long story short, im looking to buy a barbell and some plates, but im quite weak. My bench press max is 40kg, and my squat is only 50kg. I was wondering if its actually worth it to buy an olympic barbell, if its going to take me a while for me to reach the actually capacity of a standard barbell. And especially here in Australia, olympic barbells are more expensive for some reason, and the plates ridiculously expensive.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by somefella31 View Post
    So long story short, im looking to buy a barbell and some plates, but im quite weak. My bench press max is 40kg, and my squat is only 50kg. I was wondering if its actually worth it to buy an olympic barbell, if its going to take me a while for me to reach the actually capacity of a standard barbell. And especially here in Australia, olympic barbells are more expensive for some reason, and the plates ridiculously expensive.
    Yes.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Herger the Joyous: Here, you'll need this.

Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan: I cannot lift this.

Herger the Joyous: Grow stronger.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamC28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you plan on training long term, then yes you should get an Olympic barbell.
    You will get stronger!

d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you can lift the 45 lb naked bar, then yes.
    -dennis
    my "GYM IN A SHED" build thread
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175140521

AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AzurasStar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I weighed 105lb and could barely press the empty bar for reps when I got mine. It was beyond worth having my own to train on (now I'm 25lb heavier and can press my bodyweight for reps and squat and deadlift nearly double)

Do it!
    USPA: 60kg babby lifter

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You should go with an olympic barbell and olympic plates as soon as possible so you do not waste your money on standard 1" plates. The standard barbells are really inferior. You will have no rotating sleeves so you can experience forearm pain, the 1" diameter is too small for the average adult male's grip, and the 1" standard bars themselves tend to max out at around 225 before they are at risk of bend or break. The standard barbells are generally made from inferior steel as well. The standard weights tend to be lower quality castings, however there are some decent standard plates out there, here in the US the Cap Standard "pancake" plates are pretty good, I have a bunch I use for dumbbells.

An olympic barbell will get you rotating sleeves (more pleasant to lift with because the weights do not counter spin against your tendons, better bar diameter, stronger bar, the bars tend to be longer so they fit a power rack or a bench press station, they have higher weight capacity, and the olympic barbell and weights are often better quality, though not always.

Assuming you are a healthy adult male with a reasonable diet and sleep pattern, you will rapidly gain strength and surprise yourself with just how strong you will end up in just a few months of following a program of 2 to 4 workouts per week diligently.

If the cost is an issue, consider joining a gym or shop around for used weights, used weights are often a very good deal.