resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Different muscles, different recovery time?

As per thread's subject, I was wondering if different muscles have different recovery times.

I am alternating weeks of muscle groups splits to full body workout weeks. I

In the full body workout weeks I go 3 days per week to allow for recovery, but in the rest days I am itching to go and do at least *some* workout.

So in the end, my question boils down to "are there muscles that are fine with 24 hours or recovery or less?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Supposedly yes - but the recovery time doesn't just depend on which muscle it is - it also depends on volume, tolerance of volume and muscle damage that occurs.

You getting into the realms of overanalysing (overfitting if you have a stats background). Programming is a black art or heuristic solution, there are no exact solutions.

resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well thanks that's good enough for me. Taking all those parameters into account would certainly be overfitting.

If there was a clear cut answer, I would adjust accordingly, but in this case.. I'll stick to what I am doing.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The other issue I should have mentioned is that recovery time for an individual muscle is not easy to define. Complete tissue remodelling probably takes weeks - but you can train a muscle again before this is complete. It's acutally hard to train it so frequently that the training is detrimental. The limiting factor is usually obvious - fatigue and a corresponding drop in performance in the gym.

Long story short: frequency of training a muscle is not a primary consideration as long as it's above some minimum (say once every 4 days for most people). It's the total workload applied over time which is critical.

Registered User SubWooferCooker's Avatar
    SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I honestly believe the body can adapt to anything, I train full body every single day and have done so on and off for a few years now and have experimented doing this with a variety of rep ranges and volume.

The first time i tried high frequency training i was doing full body work outs every other day, initially this seemed to kill me, i felt over trained after a couple of weeks and felt the need to deload which i did, came back and went at it again etc, after a while of training every other day, de loading when i needed to etc, eventually my body adapted and i was training full body every other day with ZERO symptoms of over training and i was making great progress in the gym. My body had adapted!.

I did this for a couple of years before deciding to try training every single day full body work outs, again after switching to full body every day i felt over trained very quickly and had to deload, performance in the gym dropped i felt tired and fatigued, most people would have just gave up and say this can't possibly work, but after a period of lifting every single day, taking deloads when i needed eventually my body adapted and again now i can train full body every single day with ZERO symptoms of over training, Not only do i never feel over trained but i literally look forward to my work out every single day and still hitting pr's and making solid progress and i have never felt better.

Training everyday also gave a new lease of life to my gains, progress had slowed considerably after years of training and surpassing noob gains by a country mile, daily training 100% initiated another noob like kick start to my gains AFTER my body had adapted.

I am also in my mid 30's so not some spring chicken either, The body adapts if you give it time, It took me a long time to develop the ability to train every single day but now i don't feel over trained at all, You can ease your way into it or you can even just go all out, if you do go all out you will feel over trained, performance will drop and you will feel the need to deload, this is perfectly fine go ahead and deload come back and go again, eventually you will adapt. Most people give up before the adaption takes place and assume its not sustainable and doesn't work.

How do you think guys in construction etc work hard labor every day, lifting heavy items all day digging out huge holes etc, I know guy's in their 60's still able to do this day in day out, other guys do this day in day out and still hit the gym and make gains, 1 hour of weight lifting per day with 23 hours rest for somebody with a regular job is nothing.

i seriously feel like training twice per day could easily be done and im not joking, its just super inconvenient for my current schedule but hopeful in the near future i will give it ago.

I have a tonne of bookmarks about daily training that i have resarched over the years wish i could copy them all in one post but no idea how.

One guy on this forum used to train every day, he made some great posts in the past about his experience.

Originally Posted by 7399martyn View Post
    i went from 158lb to 178lb bodyweight.
    my squat went from 374lb to 462lb.

science is wrong.

The problem is there is little research on the matter and certainly none done on people who have adapted to this style of training which takes many months before you truly start to see the benefits, and i am continuing to see more benefits years later.

The key is to listen to your body, i used to get tendon pain, shoulder pain etc when i first started high frequency training, but with listening to my body, taking deloads, using a lighter weight whenever i felt pain, after a while the symptoms dissapeared i re introduced heavy weights again and now i have zero aches and pains, less than i did in my 20's in my 30's training every single day.

hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hercules666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SubWooferCooker View Post
    Long post
    Very interesting

It sounds absurd to imagine you are able to continually progress in the gym day in day out with a fullbody routine

May I ask what does your routine look like at the moment? The specific exercises you do, sets/reps etc. each day?

If this derails the thread too much, I would be more than glad to receive a PM from you, honestly curious about how do you do this

so if possible, could you please share your workout routine with exercises, sets and reps if possible

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Larger muscle groups usually take longer than smaller groups to recover.
    Quads for example would take longer than the biceps but as mentioned it would depend on the sets and reps you put into each area.

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This kind of thinking/planning might have benefits for trainees at the high end of the spectrum where min/maxing can be the difference between 1st place and also-ran. For mere mortals like me, every other day is fine.