richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richardg6734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I have my NASM Exam Friday - Any Advice on Memorizing Acute Variables Appreciated

Hello everyone! First time poster here.

I am a 26 year old male and (as the title says) I have my NASM CPT exam on Friday.

Over the past couple of months - (I did the self study) I've managed to read through the book, just taking it chapter by chapter. A normal day was reading one chapter, watching the lectures from said chapter and taking the quiz. Sometimes I needed a 2nd or 3rd attempt to stick a 100%... but I always got there. I also use the pocket prep app to quiz myself. In my review, I have been mainly focusing on the tools the NASM self-study provides. Which are the domain study guides and the quick check. I actually find the quick check to be a bit better for studying, as it forces you to critically think through the information and understand the concepts. As opposed to the study guides where it just lists definitions and information for memorization. Basically, I use the study guide and the book text to refer to if something in the quick check stumps me. So far, so good.

Maybe this is redundant to mention, but the study guide is broken up into 6 domains. 1 - Basic, Applied Sciences and Nutritional Concepts... 2 - Assessments... 3 - Program Design... 4 - Exercise Technique and Training Instruction... 5 - Client Relations and Behavioral Coaching... 6 - Professional Development and Responsibility

My problem lies in Domain #3 - Program Design. I have no trouble with any of the concepts. I understand the OPT model, each phase's goals/importance... etc... It's just the memorization of the dang acute variables. (How many reps/sets for core training in Hypertrophy Stage... What tempo?... etc...)

At first, I thought my biggest hurdle would be memorizing the muscle imbalances, compensations and corrective strategy chart in the Assessments domain (page 196). However, once I really attacked it - I didn't have a problem. I drew up a blank version of the chart on printing paper and printed out 50 copies. I just started writing out everything I could remember without looking at the actual chart. It only took me a dozen tries until I was nearly there all by myself. Then another dozen or so when I completely had it. I can now list that entire chart off of the top of my head.

The thing with that is - if you get stumped and are missing one over/underactive muscle. You can critically think your way through it, by thinking through the isolated functions. You can make sense of it using whatever anatomy knowledge you've accumulated.

My problem with memorizing the acute variables - when you boil it down, it's just a series of numbers. I tried the same approach. I made blank charts and copied dozens of them. Thinking it would be just as easy once I got down to work with it. It has not rendered the same results. There's a lot to memorize with that and you can't really just figure your way through it if you're stumped. You can make an estimated guess, but there's no way to use your knowledge to reach the conclusion. You either know how many reps/sets there are in core training for Maximal Strength, the tempo you perform it at, how frequently per week you perform it... etc... or you don't.

I was just wondering what some others may have done to memorize all of this stuff. Just take it one thing at a time? As in, memorize Flexibility acute variables for each phase. Then Core... then balance... etc... until you hopefully can put it all together?

How will the questions for this even be worded on the actual exam? "Joe is in Phase 4 of the OPT model. What tempo should Joe be performing his core exercises at?"... something like that? I'm also trying to figure out how hard I should work myself into the ground over memorizing this 100% perfectly, if it gets in the way of reviewing other stuff. Time is of the essence, obviously.

Thanks, and sorry for rambling on. This is just important to me, as I'm sure it was to all of you. I just want to do well on the exam and be a good trainer. I almost have that cert. I can taste it and don't want to blow it. haha

kingz4188 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Any luck?

I wish someone replied to your question because I'm having the same problem here. How did the exam go? Any trouble with these specific questions?