GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50) GainsForTay will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Accuracy of body fat scales/machines at the gym?

Hey everyone.
    I’m a woman who looks lean in person, and has no bulges, love handles, etc. I’ve had my fat tested as a nutrition shop with a scanner, and I’ve come up at 22%. I’m fine with that. I’ve also had it done at the gym on a scale which checks body fat, and wow! It said I was 28.8%. That just doesn’t seem right, given how I look naked.
    Anyone have a similar story? Where did you go to get the most accurate reading ?
    Last edited by GainsForTay; 05-18-2018 at 06:18 AM.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GainsForTay View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I’m a woman who looks lean in person, and has no bulges, love handles, etc. I’ve had my fat tested as a butttion shop with a scanner, and I’ve come up at 22%. I’m fine with that. I’ve also had it done at the gym on a scale which checks body fat, and wow! It said I was 28.8%. That just doesn’t seem right, given how I look naked.
    Anyone have a similar story? Where did you go to get the most accurate reading ?
    Any test you can do has a large (usually very large) margin of error.

Knowing your bf% really isn't useful for anything and is a point of interest more than anything, so i wouldn't waste your time on such things.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    does it even matter?

If you want less fat eat accordingly, if you want to maintain eat and train accordingly, if you want more muscle eat and train accordingly.

What would it matter if it says 5% or 50%.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    does it even matter?

If you want less fat eat accordingly, if you want to maintain eat and train accordingly, if you want more muscle eat and train accordingly.

What would it matter if it says 5% or 50%.
    I need to live by this. I get so caught up in the numbers that are basically useless. I'll go from feeling confident thinking I'm making great progress happy with how I look, step on a scale and suddenly all is lost!

It's one thing to have the knowledge that the numbers don't matter it's how you look and feel that matters but another to actually be able to think that way. It's a strange thing.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gcarey3678 View Post
    I need to live by this. I get so caught up in the numbers that are basically useless. I'll go from feeling confident thinking I'm making great progress happy with how I look, step on a scale and suddenly all is lost!

It's one thing to have the knowledge that the numbers don't matter it's how you look and feel that matters but another to actually be able to think that way. It's a strange thing.
    IMO a healthy medium is the best approach. Aka:

Use numbers and measurements as a tool for eliciting results. And by that, i just mean scale weight and calories. (And gym logs). EG: Average scale weight gone up 4lbs in the last 2 weeks? Too many calories being consumed, make adjustment. Bench press been stalled for a month? Make adjustment.

Taking weigh ins in isolation is utterly daft. BF% is also so hard to accurately nail down that its all but meaningless, other than obvious stuff like: Rolls of fat? Stop bulking. Visible abs/no energy/eating 1100 calories a day? Stop cutting.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

ashleyg901 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GainsForTay View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I’m a woman who looks lean in person, and has no bulges, love handles, etc. I’ve had my fat tested as a nutrition shop with a scanner, and I’ve come up at 22%. I’m fine with that. I’ve also had it done at the gym on a scale which checks body fat, and wow! It said I was 28.8%. That just doesn’t seem right, given how I look naked.
    The scales and hand held body composition technology can vary a lot based off hydration levels. The way the scales work is it sends an electrode through the body and measures the speed at which it can come back. The electrodes move quicker through water and muscle because water is a conductor of electricity and muscle is made of a lot of water. So if you came in dehydrated, the machine may have over estimated your body fat percentage. A more accurate cheap way to test is skin folds (providing the individual administering the test is well practiced at the skill). You can get into things such as hydrostatic weighing, but it becomes expensive to get those tests done. Body fat percentage is near impossible to come up with an exact accurate number unless done in a cadaver lab (which is not possible while you are living). As an exercise science student I was lucky enough to get mine tested for free in my classes, but our school offered tests to the public for about $80.00. You can look up places that test skin fold or possibly find a personal trainer who could do that test on you for a minimal price.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In all my years I've never bothered with body fat testing. The mirror and progress pics tell me everything I need to know.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)