Thread: hello im new

WildLaughter is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question hello im new

Hello world! I'm trying to get back in shape. Where is the best place on the forum to post my exercise and diet history? Just want to be sure I'm posting in the right section(s).

Thanks.

likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Here is a good place, or the workout section. What are your goals?

WildLaughter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by likeawashboard View Post
    Here is a good place, or the workout section. What are your goals?
    I'll try to make this long story short and summarize my exercise and diet history.

Growing up I couldn't gain weight if I tried. As a kid played every sport basically, so was always active and in shape.

For much of my life I was 5'9 to 5'10 weighed about 150pds.
    In high school I ran cross country, so I had the typical "runners body". Ran at least 5 times a week. Very lean and whatnot. Never really paid attention to my diet because I didn't have to. I never gained weight (I was so special lol). Almost every morning in high school I started my day off with a bowl of cereal, then to school, cross country practice, then home for dinner. Yep that was high school. Couldn't gain a pound if tried. Great metabolism I guess.

In college, I didn't run as much but still ran 3-4 times a week. Since I lived on campus I had to deal with cafeteria food. It was actually better than most. Didn't have time for breakfast so I usually had an early lunch, then ran, then had dinner. If anything I became more lean and fit during college. My exercise and activity didn't change much since high school. So I tried thinking how my diet was back then. I am the type of person who will eat the same meal every day (such as cereal every morning). I'm really not a picky eater. Most nights the cafeteria had grilled chicken breast and some sort of pasta. Which was simple enough for me. So almost every night I had chicken and pasta. Again I never thought about what I was eating - health/nutrition wise - it was more "give me food so I can eat and get on with my life" attitude lol.

After college my running slowly decreased to maybe once a week, and still never thought twice about what I was eating. For a couple years I definitely became a 'couch-potato'. I am a lazy person by nature. I'm guessing my body changed so slightly over the years I never noticed it until one day the pants button popped off and the pants around my waist were not as loose as I remember them always being. That was certainly the eye opener.

I thought maybe I'm not active enough, which was true when I came home from college, but the past 2 years I worked in a warehouse, so I spend most of my day walking. Is gradual steady walking not enough excerise? Am I not getting my heart rate to increase high enough? I basically have the same lunches throughout he week. Due to my job there are only so many places to grab lunch. I either go to Subway, Panera Bread, or Moe'sSouthwestGrill (I just get a burrito). I think now I'm realizing that might be part of the problem. Should I be avoiding those places if I want to get lean and lose weight?

Now I'm 33 and about 190pds. I'm almost disgusted with it all. I want the body I had in college back. I am so determined to shed every once of fat. I've already started running again. Changing my diet I feel is the biggest challenge. I still have cereal in the morning, go to work, go to one of those places for lunch, then home and jog. I'm hoping my problem is a bunch of little things keeping me back and is an easy fix...

So - what do I do? Get in touch with a nutritionist? hire a trainer?
    Tell me what to do!!! LOL.
    Thanks for listening all. I can't wait to improve myself.

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

NUTRITION

This is the largest factor in your success, learn the basics to get started and then move into more advanced if needed.

BASICS
    Spoiler!

Sources and More Information

TRAINING

Start with a solid beginner routine, these are designed to get the most for you; they are designed by professionals and use progressive overload. Read through them and pick the one you like most, follow it as it is written.

Why You Should Not Make Your Own Routine
    How To Perform Basic Lifts

Routines
    Starting Strength
    BabyLover's Starting Strength
    AllPro's Beginner Routine
    StrongLifts 5x5
    IceCream Fitness 5x5
    Fierce 5
    Coolcicada's Push Pull Legs

Calisthenics routines
    Spoiler!

SUPPLEMENTS

Remember one thing, supplements are only that; they supplement something and are never meant to be replacements. A multivitamin will not replace fruits and vegetables, a fat burner will not replace a caloric deficit, and a meal replacement is not meant to be your only source of calories.

This is a brief run down of the 'basics', for further breakdowns of specific ingredients (like Yohimbe, Forskolin, Glycerol, ect) more research on your part would be needed.

Protein
    Spoiler!

Multi-Vitamins
    Spoiler!

Fish Oil
    Spoiler!

Creatine
    Spoiler!

BCAAs
    Spoiler!

Fat Burners
    Spoiler!

Pre-Workouts
    Spoiler!

Meal Replacements/Mass Gainer
    Spoiler!

CLA
    Spoiler!

Glutamine
    Spoiler!
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by WildLaughter View Post
    I'll try to make this long story short and summarize my exercise and diet history.

Growing up I couldn't gain weight if I tried. As a kid played every sport basically, so was always active and in shape.

For much of my life I was 5'9 to 5'10 weighed about 150pds.
    In high school I ran cross country, so I had the typical "runners body". Ran at least 5 times a week. Very lean and whatnot. Never really paid attention to my diet because I didn't have to. I never gained weight (I was so special lol). Almost every morning in high school I started my day off with a bowl of cereal, then to school, cross country practice, then home for dinner. Yep that was high school. Couldn't gain a pound if tried. Great metabolism I guess.

In college, I didn't run as much but still ran 3-4 times a week. Since I lived on campus I had to deal with cafeteria food. It was actually better than most. Didn't have time for breakfast so I usually had an early lunch, then ran, then had dinner. If anything I became more lean and fit during college. My exercise and activity didn't change much since high school. So I tried thinking how my diet was back then. I am the type of person who will eat the same meal every day (such as cereal every morning). I'm really not a picky eater. Most nights the cafeteria had grilled chicken breast and some sort of pasta. Which was simple enough for me. So almost every night I had chicken and pasta. Again I never thought about what I was eating - health/nutrition wise - it was more "give me food so I can eat and get on with my life" attitude lol.

After college my running slowly decreased to maybe once a week, and still never thought twice about what I was eating. For a couple years I definitely became a 'couch-potato'. I am a lazy person by nature. I'm guessing my body changed so slightly over the years I never noticed it until one day the pants button popped off and the pants around my waist were not as loose as I remember them always being. That was certainly the eye opener.

I thought maybe I'm not active enough, which was true when I came home from college, but the past 2 years I worked in a warehouse, so I spend most of my day walking. Is gradual steady walking not enough excerise? Am I not getting my heart rate to increase high enough? I basically have the same lunches throughout he week. Due to my job there are only so many places to grab lunch. I either go to Subway, Panera Bread, or Moe'sSouthwestGrill (I just get a burrito). I think now I'm realizing that might be part of the problem. Should I be avoiding those places if I want to get lean and lose weight?

Now I'm 33 and about 190pds. I'm almost disgusted with it all. I want the body I had in college back. I am so determined to shed every once of fat. I've already started running again. Changing my diet I feel is the biggest challenge. I still have cereal in the morning, go to work, go to one of those places for lunch, then home and jog. I'm hoping my problem is a bunch of little things keeping me back and is an easy fix...

So - what do I do? Get in touch with a nutritionist? hire a trainer?
    Tell me what to do!!! LOL.
    Thanks for listening all. I can't wait to improve myself.
    as per your last two things you said, yes a nutritionist and a trainer would help tremendously.

I'm a trainer and I use a nutritionist and it's taken so much weight off my shoulders between working out and eating, I have a better relationship with food than I ever had before and I literally eat WHATEVER I want within a set amount of macros and I've lost 26.7 pounds in 8 weeks.

It's not magic, it's science but again I've been putting in the work and I'm a bit more experienced than you so you may need a bit more help. However, this is the place to get it, and if you want to talk to me personally message me on my social media sites or on here, social media is quicker due to the pop ups but I check these forums pretty often.
    You Have To Sacrifice What You Are, For What You Will Become.

I rep back!

National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified - 10 years

Follow me on Social Media:

Instagram: @Understarmor
    ********: Paul Starnes Fitness