dtraylor86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool High fat and high protein on Keto?

I’ve done keto for two weeks now and stayed around 20 carbs per day net. High fat but also high protein(probably around 125g-150g a day)as meat doesn’t have carbs for the most part. I’m reading that too much protein can actually react the same way as carbs and produce glycogen to burn instead of burning fat as a keto diet is designed to do. I am 5’8” and 190(was 205 at start). So this seems to be working so far but is a cut back on protein necessary?

asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asrsxs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dtraylor86 View Post
    I’ve done keto for two weeks now and stayed around 20 carbs per day net. High fat but also high protein(probably around 125g-150g a day)as meat doesn’t have carbs for the most part. I’m reading that too much protein can actually react the same way as carbs and produce glycogen to burn instead of burning fat as a keto diet is designed to do. I am 5’8” and 190(was 205 at start). So this seems to be working so far but is a cut back on protein necessary?
    pretty much everybody that does "keto" is actually doing a modified keto. very few people keep their protein in a therapeutic ketosis level. besides, are you getting results? are you able to adhere and enjoy the diet as much as is possible to enjoy a diet? do you feel good energy and mood wise?if the answers to those questions are yes then it doesnt matter if you are "doing keto corrrectly"

decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100)
    Yeah, cut back on protein. You only need, at MOST, about 0.8g per KILOGRAM of LEAN body mass. For me, that's at MOST 85g (185lbs, 25%BF).

You sound like you're having success, so no need to fix what's not broken, but if you're trying to do keto, then yeah, gotta cut back on protein to avoid that gluconeogenesis. Keto is great as a weight loss diet, but it's excellent as a way of eating that can last indefinitely with numerous health benefits. Anyone can lose weight by cutting back calories and exercising more, but keto is much bigger than all that. Good luck!
    Lucky me swimming in my ability; dancing down on life with agility!

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by asrsxs1 View Post
    pretty much everybody that does "keto" is actually doing a modified keto. very few people keep their protein in a therapeutic ketosis level. besides, are you getting results? are you able to adhere and enjoy the diet as much as is possible to enjoy a diet? do you feel good energy and mood wise?if the answers to those questions are yes then it doesnt matter if you are "doing keto corrrectly"
    This.

Protein is converted to glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis, it is primarily an on demand system. You still need some glucose regardless of ketone levels. Ketone production and the states of ketosis are individual based. Some people will never have high readings 3 mmol/L etc because they are efficient with ketone production/use. I measure my blood levels of BHB rather than regurgitate what I hear on podcasts, and am able to maintain ketosis even at over 1g/lb of protein intake. It is more than is necessary, but I feel better with more protein. If its working for you, there is no reason to change anything.

jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jinkty has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    People who think protein significantly raises BG either have absolutely no clue what they're talking about or maybe some illness' can cause it (the problem is actually oxaloacetate if anyone's interested.)

Are you losing weight OP? Do you feel well? Why are you aiming for ketosis?
    Three things to consider before you go messing with your diet majorly.