Mhche has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to transition on weightlifting

Hello,

I would appreciate if you can give me some advice on how to transition to weightlifting from my current state. I can't really say powerlifting, although I was following the Starting Strength program.

A little info about me. I am lifting 2 years and a half constantly, most of the time I was doing classic bodybuilding programs. Last year I did a strength and hypertrophy program, I was 70kg and I managed to have PR's:
    Squat 2xbw
    Deadlift 2.5xbw
    Bench Press 1.5xbw

Then I took the (stupid for me) decision to go back on bodybuilding programs, after some time I switched on Starting Strength, which I am following for six months now but I have seen no progress and no increase in my strength since before I start it.
    Now I am at 65kg and, I think, my 1rp are around (although I haven't tried for 1rm recently):
    Squat 105kg
    Front Squat 75kg
    Deadlift 140 kg
    Power Clean 50kg
    Bench Press 80kg

I wanted some time now to start doing weightlifting. Last month I switched gym and I have started taking some lifting classes where I discussed with the trainer and he told me that we can work and learn the Olympic lifts. I asked him about what training program should I follow and he suggested me about Aleksey Medvedev's Program.
    Thing is that I read the "A Multi-Year Program on Weightlifting" but I found it a bit difficult to really understand the program. I couldn't find anywhere to buy as an ebook the "A Multi-Year System on Weightlifting", since it's a bit difficult to buy a printed copy now for me.

I am working out 3 times per week, plus one day for the lifting class. So, what program would you suggest me to follow from now? Since I am interested in transitioning to weightlifting and I have started already taking classes to learn the lifts.

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't think it is necessary to perform many exercises to be a competent weightlifter, so something like Glenn Pendlay's program is perfect for training three days per week:

Monday
    Squat
    Snatch
    Clean and Jerk

Wednesday
    Squat
    Snatch
    Clean and Jerk

Friday
    Squat
    Snatch
    Clean and Jerk

Simple, eh? You progress your squat over time to build your leg strength, and you get in as many snatches and clean and jerks to build your strength and hone your skill. Note that you don't need to do the classic snatch and clean and jerk every session...you can vary it depending on what your weakness is. For instance, if you are having trouble with the extension, you can snatch from blocks. If your first pull is a problem, snatch from the floor or just do pulls. You can work in complexes too, if you want to mix it up a bit. 2+1 clean and jerks if you want to build squatting strength, or snatch balances if you want to work on your...snatch balance and overhead strength.

I don't think the individual days matter that much. Stick to tried and true 2-6 reps and 2-6 sets @ 70-80% for your squats, and build up your snatch and clean and jerk slowly with 1-3 reps each set. It's probably also wise to include some plyometrics into your program, such as box jumping or broad jumping.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best way is to join a weightlifting club, and specifically follow their training regimen....do what the coach says.

The second best way is to join crossfit for awhile just to get some experience moving the bar around...the basics.

Last and least is getting a garage or basement gym set up.

Catalyst Athletics has an excellent book which I purchased.

You will not get away doing these workouts at a globo-gym...even if they do have bumpers and platforms.

For me it was a bit of a circuitous route to get where I am, I would consider myself a strong novice.

I lift recreationally at home in my garage. Initially I was in Crossfit 1st, and then joined their weightlifting club (a club within a club) some "boxes" have this arrangement, do some investigating. I learned enough to have a reasonably sound working knowledge of the lifts and how to structure a basic novice program. There was a period in their over a year where I left the "box" and just did the starting strength and Wendler 531 program at a commercial gym...then I set up at home. I missed doing the classic lifts so I started.

If you dont have access to (the right kind of) gym or coach You can learn the lifts without even executing them as per a competitive lift initially. I dont know where you work out, but you wont be able to do this stuff at a globo gym if you risk dropping the bar. If you keep it real simple some of this stuff you might get away with.

For example perform a simple complex something like this (with an empty bar, pvc or metal pipe):Behind the neck snatch grip press+overhead squat, this would be 5 sets of no more than 3-5 reps.

In the same session with a different exercise you can do a snatch grip dead lift+snatch pull...again 5 sets-low reps. Most important thing here is get the starting position correct...look at pro lifters and see how they set up and start.

Finish the session with high bar back squats, 4-5 sets (not including warm ups) of 3-5 reps max. Go hard and heavy here.

You can do similar things with the clean and jerk, I struggle with the jerk portion of this, so right now for example I am training them mostly apart in the same session..two different exercises. Finish that session with a front squat.

I cant advise you how to get your strength up other than to make sure you are at least getting your macros...eating at a good surplus.

You may have also seen posters around breaking the lifts down into the different positions...they look like poses. Quite literally you can use a pvc pipe and practice these positions, use your phone to take videos compare to pictures

Watch this guy's video content he has a lot of material, he keeps things simple and rational, and he won a gold medal doing it.

Right now my program typically looks something like this

Monday=Snatch Day a)technique-warmup b)snatch complexes c)pulls, d)squats, e)accessories (ie light bodybuilding stuff)
    Wednesday=Upper body strength Day a)push presses, b)chins c)dips d)accessories if I have time
    Friday=Clean and Jerk a)technique-warmup b)clean complexes c)pulls,d)front squats, d)accessories (ie light bodybuilding stuff)
    I do some conditioning after lifts sometimes...easy stuff like skipping rope, or rowing for 10-15 minutes.

It wont be easy if you do it on your own, just keep the bar light and work through the positions.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) igorek99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First, find a coach, at least with some merit and experience. Not the one who studied weightlifting on YouTube. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help, ask. About me Participant of the Cup of Russia among juniors, master of sports of Russia, since 9 years is engaged in weightlifting. Best results in competitions
    snatch150 kg / clean and jerk
    185, weight category 85 kg. Now I work as a coach in the school of Olympic reserve in Moscow
    Last edited by igorek99; 07-16-2018 at 10:23 AM.