xanderace82 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need to lose weight. Is Intermittent Fasting (IF) good?

I was always a fit dude back then around 3 years ago. My BMI was within the average range and well, I would say I looked really fit back then. Then when I met my current girlfriend when we went on foreign dating events we became quite careless about our physical looks and our health. We’ve been eating unhealthy food and it has taken its toll on me. I’ve gained about 150 lbs over the last 3 years through an unhealthy lifestyle and I truly want to lose weight. These days, I’ve become more conscious not just about my health but also about how I look. I don’t look bad especially since I’m quite tall. However, I want to bring back my old body. I need legit advice as to how I can lose weight? Has anybody tried IF (intermittent fasting)? And did it work?

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You'd be fine on any sort of eating protocol as long as you're in a calorie deficit. IF is nothing special.

Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I wouldn't fast. Your body will think you're in starvation mode if you don't eat and will hold onto what it can for energy. This does not help your weight loss at all. Just do a 500-1000 calorie deficit everyday from your basal metabolic rate + exercise and you should do fine. I recommend 500 calorie deficit because your body tends to let go of more fat cells when you feed it. Portion control is a HUGE factor in weight loss. A lot of people assume they're eating fine, but in reality are eating well over the portions their bodies require. Write down what you eat, how much, how many calories, etc. Strength training alone does not help weight loss goals. You have to combine cardio and strength training for your body to release fat cells. Make sure you're taking a multivitamin to ensure you are getting your nutrients. Majority of us do not eat well enough to get the nutrients our bodies require and some don't digest the food well enough for the nutrients to be released. If you take medications, check the side effects to make sure that weight gain isn't a side effect. If it is, ask your doctor if there is something else you can try that's similar.

Good luck with your goals!!
    ~Celina~
    I'm on ********'s Bodybuilding.com group!

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^ that's not quite how it works.

daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Honey86 View Post
    I wouldn't fast. Your body will think you're in starvation mode if you don't eat and will hold onto what it can for energy. This does not help your weight loss at all. Just do a 500-1000 calorie deficit everyday from your basal metabolic rate + exercise and you should do fine. I recommend 500 calorie deficit because your body tends to let go of more fat cells when you feed it. Portion control is a HUGE factor in weight loss. A lot of people assume they're eating fine, but in reality are eating well over the portions their bodies require. Write down what you eat, how much, how many calories, etc. Strength training alone does not help weight loss goals. You have to combine cardio and strength training for your body to release fat cells. Make sure you're taking a multivitamin to ensure you are getting your nutrients. Majority of us do not eat well enough to get the nutrients our bodies require and some don't digest the food well enough for the nutrients to be released. If you take medications, check the side effects to make sure that weight gain isn't a side effect. If it is, ask your doctor if there is something else you can try that's similar.

Starvation mode isn't a real thing.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Intermittent fasting is a great tool to reign in your appetite. don't pay too much attention to "feeding window" and how many hours and stuff, instead just look at it as setting an eating schedule and sticking to it.

one of the tough parts for me was making good food choices though; the hungrier i got the more inclined i was to eat a bunch of junk food and throw off my macros.

i would start with the basics though: calculating macros and TDEE, learning about discretionary calorie allowance and getting comfortable with tracking without getting too obsessive.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    You'd be fine on any sort of eating protocol as long as you're in a calorie deficit. IF is nothing special.
    couldn't agree more, losing weight is nothing but being in a calorie deficit. You lose weight based on energy in vs energy out...for example if you take in more energy than you expend, you gain weight, because weight is stored energy, if you expend more energy than you take in you'll lose weight....how you eat depends on what kind of weight you lose.
    You Have To Sacrifice What You Are, For What You Will Become.

I rep back!

National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified - 10 years

Follow me on Social Media:

Instagram: @Understarmor
    ********: Paul Starnes Fitness

godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This does not help your weight loss at all. Just do a 500-1000 calorie deficit everyday from your basal metabolic rate + exercise and you should do fine. I recommend 500 calorie deficit because your body tends to let go of more fat cells when you feed it. Portion control is a HUGE factor in weight loss. A lot of people assume they're eating fine, but in reality are eating well over the portions their bodies require. Write down what you eat, how much, how many calories, etc. Strength training alone does not help weight loss goals. You have to combine cardio and strength training for your body to release fat cells. Make sure you're taking a multivitamin to ensure you are getting your nutrients. Majority of us do not eat well enough to get the nutrients our bodies require and some don't digest the food well enough for the nutrients to be released. If you take medications, check the side effects to make sure that weight gain isn't a side effect. If it is, ask your doctor if there is something else you can try that's similar.

I wouldn't fast. Your body will think you're in starvation mode if you don't eat and will hold onto what it can for energy. - this sentence was spot on, I don't know how you went off the rails with the rest of what you said....
    You Have To Sacrifice What You Are, For What You Will Become.

I rep back!

National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified - 10 years

Follow me on Social Media:

Instagram: @Understarmor
    ********: Paul Starnes Fitness

DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000)

"I wouldn't fast. Your body will think you're in starvation mode if you don't eat and will hold onto what it can for energy. This does not help your weight loss at all."

This is not true, at all.
    - Slow progress, is progress.
    - Losing fat is a marathon, not a race.
    - Take care of your body, you've only got one.
    - Progressive overload + good form.