Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Client feels nauseous after push ups and planks

This is a first for me. I've had clients feel nauseous from a tough leg day, or conditioning workouts. Never from doing push ups or planks. Pretty much any time he's in that type of position he'll feel it come up. I'm not having him go real hard either. It usually occurs mid set. It's a gentleman in his late 50's. Relatively fit for his age (and generation). He said it used to happen when he worked with two other trainers over the years. I asked him if he eats before his workout. (We train in the late morning.) He usually has a light breakfast earlier in the morning. Fruits, granola, an egg or two. Drinks a good amount of water. Sleeps 7-8 hours each night. I'm really trying to figure this one out. Any knowledge and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Reflux.

As we get older, usually from 40 onwards, our stomach becomes less acidic, slowing digestion, leaving the juices just slowly stewing in there. If you ask you'll find that if he has things like bolognese or chilli then he's burping it up hours later - though by his age most will have figured out the offending foods and avoid them. This is why your grandma just has boiled vegies and stuff. "Oh no that's too spicy and rich for me." Stuff stews in the belly instead of going straight through, and gets burped up - particularly if there's any pressure on the belly. So you'd find the same thing happens if you get him to squat or deadlift heavy.

There's usually not a lot you can do about it, but obviously he can ask his doctor for suggestions.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's not your job to figure it out.

If you bring your car to an auto detailer and while he drives it into the garage to begin working on it, the transmission makes a screeching sound, he will not begin to diagnose the problem or provide a solution. Its not his job to do so. His job is to detail it only. Just as it is your job to train the client, not diagnose conditions or provide solutions for them.

Cease instructing all exercises that cause discomfort until the client comes to you with a solution from his/her medical care provider.
    Last edited by Ronin4help; 04-26-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeo5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Reflux.

As we get older, usually from 40 onwards, our stomach becomes less acidic, slowing digestion, leaving the juices just slowly stewing in there. If you ask you'll find that if he has things like bolognese or chilli then he's burping it up hours later - though by his age most will have figured out the offending foods and avoid them. This is why your grandma just has boiled vegies and stuff. "Oh no that's too spicy and rich for me." Stuff stews in the belly instead of going straight through, and gets burped up - particularly if there's any pressure on the belly. So you'd find the same thing happens if you get him to squat or deadlift heavy.

There's usually not a lot you can do about it, but obviously he can ask his doctor for suggestions.
    Thanks, man. Seems like that's what it is. He found this supplement at Whole Foods he was recommended to help with it. Said it's helped. We'll see how it goes.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would have him ask his doctor for suggestions, as I said. Ronin is more cautious. Obviously we as trainers are acting outside our scope of practice in diagnosing anything. However, any educated and experienced person - trainer or not - can say, "it sounds like X, see a doctor." Mentioning that it might be X will in many cases encourage them to see a doctor, whereas "I dunno" does not.

I do not encourage relying on Whole Foods for advice.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    I would have him ask his doctor for suggestions, as I said. Ronin is more cautious. Obviously we as trainers are acting outside our scope of practice in diagnosing anything. However, any educated and experienced person - trainer or not - can say, "it sounds like X, see a doctor." Mentioning that it might be X will in many cases encourage them to see a doctor, whereas "I dunno" does not.

I do not encourage relying on Whole Foods for advice.
    He's discussed this with his doctor beforehand. The doctor, a lethargic, overweight guy, simply told him, "Just stop working out." Which obviously is a whack ass solution. Told him he obviously needs a new doctor. I'm not trying to diagnose him. I was curious if anyone else's clients have experienced similar reactions and what they might have found out. It's not inhibiting him from working out altogether, but it will certainly be better for him to find out the cause and solution. We'll see.