Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)

High bar squat with strong forward lean?

Currently I am doing high bar squats, because I slightly hurt my shoulder from the low bar position (due to poor shoulder mobility). I recorded my squats and noticed, that besides the higher bar position it looks pretty much like my low bar squats! I'm still "sitting back" and not down, my hips move far back, and my knees don't move forward a lot. However, at any given point of the movement the bar is over midfood.

Would that be considered bad form? I never saw people sitting back when doing high bar, always sitting down. I actually didn't experience much of a difference in strength, when I switched to high bar I could increase the weight like always (doing novice linear progression).

CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    would need to see the video, it sounds odd as the high bar position should have the bar pretty much over midfoot before the beginning of the rep and so therefore the need for a more vertical torso and sitting "straight down" into the squat position. There are some people who get into a bit of torso lean coming out of the high bar position though like pete rubish (think hes switch to highbar for injury too) and Kevin Oak

Edit - you need to cue breaking at the knees (knees and hips simultaneously) however I find literally thinking about breaking at the knees to initiate the movement will then allow the necessary forward knee travel / vertical torso. Do you have good ankle dorsiflexion? Have you got long femurs? Also to achieve what you mention depth must be super questionable or you must be extremely good morning positioned coming out the hole?
    Last edited by CheekyKuntBrah; 04-23-2018 at 04:50 AM.

Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NoGainNoPainBro View Post
    Currently I am doing high bar squats, because I slightly hurt my shoulder from the low bar position (due to poor shoulder mobility). I recorded my squats and noticed, that besides the higher bar position it looks pretty much like my low bar squats! I'm still "sitting back" and not down, my hips move far back, and my knees don't move forward a lot. However, at any given point of the movement the bar is over midfood.

Would that be considered bad form? I never saw people sitting back when doing high bar, always sitting down. I actually didn't experience much of a difference in strength, when I switched to high bar I could increase the weight like always (doing novice linear progression).
    Theres a reason for this. They are both just Squats. Don't get caught up with how its supposed to look. Your squat should look like your squat, not like somebody else. Theres also much more to it than just bar position. If you want a form check then post a video, but again, just because you dont look like what you think you are supposed to, doesn't mean you are doing it wrong.

Also, don't get caught up with different cues and whatnot. Everyone interprets cues differently. Develop and learn your own mental cues.
    Most of my lifting gets posted to Instagram - https://instagram.com/fayerjw/

Best lifts 628/391/727 - Best Total: 1747

NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CheekyKuntBrah View Post
    would need to see the video, it sounds odd as the high bar position should have the bar pretty much over midfoot before the beginning of the rep and so therefore the need for a more vertical torso and sitting "straight down" into the squat position. There are some people who get into a bit of torso lean coming out of the high bar position though like pete rubish (think hes switch to highbar for injury too) and Kevin Oak

Edit - you need to cue breaking at the knees (knees and hips simultaneously) however I find literally thinking about breaking at the knees to initiate the movement will then allow the necessary forward knee travel / vertical torso. Do you have good ankle dorsiflexion? Have you got long femurs? Also to achieve what you mention depth must be super questionable or you must be extremely good morning positioned coming out the hole?
    When I squat without bar in front of the mirror, I can actually do both - sitting back or sitting down. At the end of the day, bar position should not have that much influence on it, since that is just a matter of how how you adjust your knee- and hip angle (or am I seeing this wrong?). However, I was just wondering because for some reason it seems that high bar is asociated with sitting down, and low bar with sitting back. The depth was indeed questionable, it squatted until parallel or maybe a tiny bit below.

Originally Posted by Rags85 View Post
    Theres a reason for this. They are both just Squats. Don't get caught up with how its supposed to look. Your squat should look like your squat, not like somebody else. Theres also much more to it than just bar position. If you want a form check then post a video, but again, just because you dont look like what you think you are supposed to, doesn't mean you are doing it wrong.

Also, don't get caught up with different cues and whatnot. Everyone interprets cues differently. Develop and learn your own mental cues.
    You are right. Right now I am just learning a lot about the lifts and I am just curious about the hows and whys.

For now the problem is fixed, since I managed to do painfree low bar squats today (after warming my shoulder up properly and paying attention to flexing my upper back while squatting). If I'll have to switch again, I'll upload a video. Thanks guys!

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NoGainNoPainBro View Post
    it seems that high bar is asociated with sitting down, and low bar with sitting back.
    Well generally speaking high bar will punish you more for leaning forward, simply because the moment arm is longer when the bar is higher up your back. If your back is fairly upright with low bar, there probably wont be that much of a difference.
    Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175660541

CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyKuntBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FaIIen View Post
    Well generally speaking high bar will punish you more for leaning forward, simply because the moment arm is longer when the bar is higher up your back. If your back is fairly upright with low bar, there probably wont be that much of a difference.
    This is spot on.