DLRafuls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Long distance running and muscle building. Supplements?

I'm not talking full-on bodybuilding pro physique or anything. I'm just trying to build a little mass around my chest and arms. Currently lean and fairly toned. A runners physique more or less. I used to weigh 200 lbs. (of fat) before I lost weight through running.

Male
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 135
    *Been running for 8 years (2 competitively) and lifting weights for about 18 months with little results in mass but great results in tone*

I'm a long distance runner first and foremost. That will NOT change. Bodybuilding is more of a secondary passion. I just love health and fitness overall. I average 50-60 miles per week and do strength training 3 days a week (all upper body). I also live an active lifestyle. I currently acquire nearly all my nutrition through food. I love to cook and eat clean. The only supplementation I take are Omega 3 tablets and a lean protein shake after strength training.

I have access to a dietician and she assessed that given my current regime, I just barely meet my nutritional requirements to maintain my lifestyle (i.e. caloric, fat, protein). I could only eat so much.

Is supplementation the answer? If so, what kind of supplements should I be looking at? And is it possible to limit the mass building to my focus areas (not gain weight where I don't want it to)?

Thanks,
    Dan

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You don't need supplements, you need to increase your caloric intake if you want to build more muscle. You are under-eating for your activity level, and you won't make much progress with lifting.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

DLRafuls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    You don't need supplements, you need to increase your caloric intake if you want to build more muscle. You are under-eating for your activity level, and you won't make much progress with lifting.
    That's what I'd prefer. It's like I mentioned before, I can only eat so much. What do I do if I'm just not hungry? I eat before my run. Ravenous afterwards. I snack all day with meals in between. And I'm pretty hungry shortly after my strength training. That was the only issue that was unclear when I spoke with my dietician.

There are a few changes I know I can make with my diet to increase my nutritional intake levels, but not enough to compensate for my lack of hunger. Thanks and any advice or resources would be much appreciated.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Post up a typical day of eating, be as detailed as possible. Need calorie amounts, macros, and totals.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Also curious on your diet, are you currently tracking overall calories/macros?

As previously mentioned, unless you are eating in a caloric surplus diet (over maintenance calories) you are going to struggle to put on additional muscle mass.
    Myprotein's Official Bodybuilding.com Lead Representative ✔
    ► Europe's #1 Online Sports Nutrition Brand ◄
    US Site: us.myprotein.com
    Rest of the world: myprotein.com
    Fuel Your Ambition!

Legionnaire10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Speaking from experience, I used to run track professionally, I was 5’9” weighed 136lbs. I ate 6 FULL meals a day, but due to the high amount of mileage your body burns everything you put in it, that and your body starts breaking down muscle after so many minutes of cardio activity so it makes it hard to build

powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You dont want mass if you are a long distance runner
    Controlled Labs Warder
    Email: Powercage [at] ControlledLabs.com
    Free Controlled Labs supps for your CL labels: goo.gl/kylDte

I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate...

Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.