Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How close to failure should you train during linear progression

In most linear progression programs for novices you increase the weights every workout. However, I hear from a lot of people (also some that are teaching linear programs like Starting Strength, however not Mark Rippetoe himself), that you should not train too close to failure and "leave 1-2 reps in the tank" (somehow they always use this expression).

I really don't understand how that should be possible. I have to fight really hard to finish all reps with proper form, and next training it's gonna be even harder. There is no way at all how I could just do 1-2 more reps, if I just wanted to. I am at my current maximum when doing the sets, recover, adapt, and then train again with my now increased strength. The last 1-2 reps of the last set are always very close to failure, but idealy without reaching it, so that form doesn't break down.

Or is this a misunderstanding of what "failure" means? For me it means that the form would not be acceptable anymore (like pulling with a round back). But even with bad form I wouldn't be able to grind another rep or two, because it's also a much less efficient way to move the weight.

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NoGainNoPainBro View Post
    In most linear progression programs for novices you increase the weights every workout. However, I hear from a lot of people (also some that are teaching linear programs like Starting Strength, however not Mark Rippetoe himself), that you should not train too close to failure and "leave 1-2 reps in the tank" (somehow they always use this expression).

I really don't understand how that should be possible. I have to fight really hard to finish all reps with proper form, and next training it's gonna be even harder. There is no way at all how I could just do 1-2 more reps, if I just wanted to. I am at my current maximum when doing the sets, recover, adapt, and then train again with my now increased strength. The last 1-2 reps of the last set are always very close to failure, but idealy without reaching it, so that form doesn't break down.

Or is this a misunderstanding of what "failure" means? For me it means that the form would not be acceptable anymore (like pulling with a round back). But even with bad form I wouldn't be able to grind another rep or two, because it's also a much less efficient way to move the weight.
    I think linear novice progression would be considered an exception. You keep adding weight in a linear fashion until you can no longer get your reps anymore. This would be the same if you left one in the tank, or went to all out failure. Either way, you cannot add weight forever, and once those gains are reached and topped out, it is probably time to move on to a more intermediate type programming.
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sounds like your training weight is to high. If you are going all out in each set (can't do any more reps), then it will be harder to recover from. It will eventually catch up to you. The weaker you are, the longer it'll take to catch up, but it will eventually.

Leaving 1-2 reps in the tank means to pick a weight that you can just do that. If your 5x5 max is 300, don't try a 5x5 at 300. Start at 250 and work up from there. You will have more higher quality reps because form should be better. You won't fatigue as fast because weights are lighter. You won't need a deload as frequently because you aren't fatiguing as fast. It leaves much more room for progression because you are starting lighter.

Its sometimes a tough concept for beginners to understand because of how fast they can progress, but its usually best to not go to failure in any of your sets.
    Most of my lifting gets posted to Instagram - https://instagram.com/fayerjw/

Best lifts 628/391/727 - Best Total: 1747

Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Rags85 View Post
    Sounds like your training weight is to high. If you are going all out in each set (can't do any more reps), then it will be harder to recover from. It will eventually catch up to you. The weaker you are, the longer it'll take to catch up, but it will eventually.

Leaving 1-2 reps in the tank means to pick a weight that you can just do that. If your 5x5 max is 300, don't try a 5x5 at 300. Start at 250 and work up from there. You will have more higher quality reps because form should be better. You won't fatigue as fast because weights are lighter. You won't need a deload as frequently because you aren't fatiguing as fast. It leaves much more room for progression because you are starting lighter.

Its sometimes a tough concept for beginners to understand because of how fast they can progress, but its usually best to not go to failure in any of your sets.
    Thanks for the reply. I started with a light weight and moved up in little steps, to get used to the weight and practice technique with every weight. However, after a few weeks I just reached the point in all lifts where I have to concentrate and fight hard to finish them. But so far I always managed to finish and maintained form, I can increase the weight the next time and do the same. The only exercise where I did a reload so far is the overhead press. It's just that there is definetely not room for another rep, maybe for squats.

Recovery is no problem. 2 days later I feel just fine and I can train again with a higher weight. In Starting Strength it's recommended, once recovery is becoming problematic, to introduce a light day, but continue progressing on heavy days like before, as long that's possible. For deadlifts I have to do that, from the other exercises I recover just fine so far.