Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Viable alternatives to back squats?

Newcomer to the gym here and currently running SL 5x5. I am having hip issues where squatting gives me stiff hips and causes me to stop working out due to concern. The stiffness is temporary and goes away until the next time I squat. Until I get this checked out, I am aiming to stop squatting and replace it with other exercises to train my legs.

Would a combination of leg press, leg extensions, and leg curls be a decent option for leg training?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Either it's a form issue which can be fixed - or it's a problem in your physique - which should be fixed, not avoided. Such things have ways of making themselves known in other ways.

BTW, the last time I picked up a muscle strain, it was when doing leg extensions...

You could try a form check video for a startoff. You could try alternatives like wall squats (against a bosu ball) or goblet squats. Basically, you can't avoid hip extension if you want to train your lower body - and you don't really want to go through life with a nascent problem lurking just below the surface.

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Any issues with front squats? You could also try box step ups and Bulgarian split squats.

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Gwybodaeth View Post
    Any issues with front squats? You could also try box step ups and Bulgarian split squats.
    I switched to front squats, got tired of back squats and actually feel glutes more during front squats.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG
    I don't go to the gym anymore so above stats are useless.

Only do weighted calastentics in the comfort of my own home!

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Gwybodaeth View Post
    Are front squats any more different than back squats? Mehdi (the guy who designed SL 5x5) advised doing back squats instead but the man isn't 100% reliable when it comes to fitness despite making a reliable novice program.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Work goblet squats for a while, then go back to back squats.

Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    Work goblet squats for a while, then go back to back squats.
    Will try this. How much weight for dumbbells you recommend that is equivalent to the barbell? With the barbell I was able to squat 115 lbs though my form kinda sucked. Dropped the weight to 95 just recently and I was able to squat deeper.

Also, should I approach goblet squats with a 5x5 approach or do I change the reps/sets a bit?

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Odifududix View Post
    Will try this. How much weight for dumbbells you recommend that is equivalent to the barbell? With the barbell I was able to squat 115 lbs though my form kinda sucked. Dropped the weight to 95 just recently and I was able to squat deeper.

Also, should I approach goblet squats with a 5x5 approach or do I change the reps/sets a bit?
    I typically need more reps from goblet squats, but you just got to try them and find what works for you.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It depends on how heavy you go. You can do 5x5 if you use a good sized DB. Start with 25-35# and give yourself time to get used to it.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try some unilateral work like lunges.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    front squats
    reverse lunges
    bulgarian split squats

Originally Posted by sooby View Post
    front squats
    reverse lunges
    bulgarian split squats
    I think I will stick to goblet squats. I want to stick to the SL 5x5 but obviously goblet squats are different than back squats. Anyone have a recommended sets and reps for goblet squats? Also what's a good weight with dumbbells if I can squat 95 lbs with the barbell?

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Are front squats any more different than back squats? Mehdi (the guy who designed SL 5x5) advised doing back squats instead but the man isn't 100% reliable when it comes to fitness despite making a reliable novice program.
    The general consensus is that lighter front squats will elicit the same muscle activation as heavier back squats, with the exception of probably more lumbar activation and much more thoracic activation. Most people like a mix of the two, though some people only do back squats (such as weightlifters with specific knee injuries who don't want to overload) and some people only do front squats (like the Bulgarians during their heyday.) Perfectly viable, probably safer and carries over to other sports better than the back squat. I think Greg Nuckols summarised it well as something like 'front squats will pressure the front of the legs and the back the most, low bar back squats will pressure the posterior chain the most and high back back squats are somewhat of a middle ground.'

Front squats are a bit trickier and require better mobility, especially in the upper body but improving your thoracic extension is probably second only to opening up your hips so I see no problems there. The problem with SS/SL is that linear programs have about the same effectiveness as undulating programs for novices (and much less effective for trained athletes) but are riskier in terms of injuries. Lots of programs have come and gone but I still think the best squat program is the RSR; it's simple, effective and you can run it in its entirety or just the pyramid segment.
    Last edited by Gwybodaeth; 04-19-2018 at 05:06 AM.

I think I will stick to goblet squats. I want to stick to the SL 5x5 but obviously goblet squats are different than back squats. Anyone have a recommended sets and reps for goblet squats? Also what's a good weight with dumbbells if I can squat 95 lbs with the barbell?
    5x5 should work fine but keep in mind it will become increasingly taxing as the weights get heavier.

The general rule is that your 1RM front squat is ~80-85% of your back squat, but goblets are a bit trickier to hold so you might want to plan with something lower. An easy way is to test your 1RM and base it on the heaviest you can lift with optimal form.